Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

17 minutes ago, champers said:

Robin Hood is directly above and seems to be doing OK. Maybe the televised live sport at RH gives them a competitive edge.

They also generate a huge amount of publicity via free meals for vloggers and threads on another online forum.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 1:42 AM, kingofthemountain said:

There is a famous line in a french cult movie

The idiots dare everything, that's even how we recognize them

''les cons ca ose tout, c'est meme a ca qu'on les reconnait''

Michel Audiard, Les tontons flingueurs (1963)

There's also a famous line from the Aussie movie The Castle, "Tell him he's dreamin".

• Haha 2

On 12/22/2020 at 1:16 PM, champers said:

Robin Hood is directly above and seems to be doing OK. Maybe the televised live sport at RH gives them a competitive edge.

Walking up steps has never been popular with expats, and the 2nd Level is always out of view for tourists.   Maybe they will look at moving downstairs.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/22/2020 at 3:00 AM, Maha Sarakham said:

This is something that will certainly impact my future decisions to visit Pattaya or not.  It was always a good time with lots going on even if you didn't partake in the local delicacies. 

The vibe and atmosphere were the most fun parts of the whole experience, it was like the city that never slept.

I think the vibe will come back, albeit, in a smaller capacity, but it's probably going to take 2 years, post covid.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, polpott said:

There's an escalator and it is visible from 2nd Road.

I walk up the stairs.  No problem for me, at my stage in life. Just saying, 2nd Level businesses have never really done well, and the escalators are set back a fair way from the road.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2020 at 3:00 AM, Maha Sarakham said:

The vibe and atmosphere were the most fun parts of the whole experience, it was like the city that never slept.

I agree. Like the women and all that were almost a side attraction, it gave the place it's power, but the real deal was the atmosphere that created.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nausea said:

I agree. Like the women and all that were almost a side attraction, it gave the place it's power, but the real deal was the atmosphere that created.

The atmosphere will come back, but perhaps not to the degree it existed before covid.  Western tourism was declining in Pattaya, before covid. 

Repeat western tourists may be in for a shock when they return.     

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

I walk up the stairs.  No problem for me, at my stage in life. Just saying, 2nd Level businesses have never really done well, and the escalators are set back a fair way from the road.  

A tourist likely doesn't know the escalator is there, similar to the lift. Similarly will they know the place is up there? Have any of the Brit style pubs ever done really well in Pattaya?

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

The atmosphere will come back, but perhaps not to the degree it existed before covid.  Western tourism was declining in Pattaya, before covid. 

Repeat western tourists may be in for a shock when they return.     

Returning tourists will probably prefer it.

Or do you suggest they'd prefer gridlock traffic / hordes of Chinese ( and tour busses ) / queues everywhere?

I know what i prefer.

54 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A tourist likely doesn't know the escalator is there, similar to the lift. Similarly will they know the place is up there? Have any of the Brit style pubs ever done really well in Pattaya?

Queen Vic / Sportsman / Pig and Whistle ( until recently ) seem to have all stood the test of time.

I'm sure there's others.

Covid has changed the pertinence of this thread. Before covid my answer would generally have been 'no' but since covid my answer is more likely to be 'yes'. Its sad in some ways but there are/were too many bars here in Pattaya offering nothing distinctive or original but the tired cliche of fizzy bottled beer, tiresome sport TV and USA chart music. We can lose 80% of most bars and that is what is happening. No great loss. Look at the growth of Hi So restaurants in Cozy Beach. Now that's interesting.

2 minutes ago, Nout said:

Covid has changed the pertinence of this thread. Before covid my answer would generally have been 'no' but since covid my answer is more likely to be 'yes'. Its sad in some ways but there are/were too many bars here in Pattaya offering nothing distinctive or original but the tired cliche of fizzy bottled beer, tiresome sport TV and USA chart music. We can lose 80% of most bars and that is what is happening. No great loss. Look at the growth of Hi So restaurants in Cozy Beach. Now that's interesting.

I am not sure that HiSo restaurants are the future, though they are certainly a good thing now during Covid. When Covid is over their current customer base will revert to holidaying where they did pre-Covid: abroad, be it Japan, Korea, US, Europe, Australasisa or wherever. Will returnees from foreign shores fill the void? That is debatable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

Deutsche Haus restaurant on Beach Road is closed. Also a pretty big bar complex on 2nd Road just before Klang where the soi to the hospital is has given up the ghost. More places closing weekly if not daily.

Sad to see both those places closing even though. I've never been in either. Das Berliner Soi 13 happily is still trading though must be losing money same as most. 

10 minutes ago, rott said:

Sad to see both those places closing even though. I've never been in either. Das Berliner Soi 13 happily is still trading though must be losing money same as most. 

Not been in Das Berliner, I occasionally go in The Sportsman next door. They always have customers in but not to pre-covid levels. 

13 hours ago, champers said:

Not been in Das Berliner, I occasionally go in The Sportsman next door. They always have customers in but not to pre-covid levels. 

Still doing their great carvery but that is my only reason to visit. 

6 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

maybe not a bad thing that all those money laundering British pubs in Pattaya run by small time criminals, boiler room boys and betting house chavs are being shutdown with covid when the Thai police couldn't ????

Which British pubs have shutdown in Pattaya since the start of Covid ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kinyara said:

Which British pubs have shutdown in Pattaya since the start of Covid ? 

I think dogs <deleted>, there is another in Soi post office near second road, but forgot the name, and there are quite a few of the night wish group, isn't it?

On 12/27/2020 at 3:27 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Few business owners were still hanging hoping for the merry christmas/happy new year period

unfortunately with the Covid outbreak and the cancellation of all the events, and a lockdown on

the way (Rayong city is already in troubles, and it's only few kilometers from Pattaya)

the last die hard bars and restaurants owners are pulling the plug off.

As i said yesterday it's coming soon

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/12/28/chonburi-announces-22-new-local-cases-of-covid-19-17-in-banglamung/

A lockdown now will be the last nail in the coffin for most of the Pattaya entertainment venues

• Like 2