Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

8 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

As i said yesterday it's coming soon

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/12/28/chonburi-announces-22-new-local-cases-of-covid-19-17-in-banglamung/

A lockdown now will be the last nail in the coffin for most of the Pattaya entertainment venues

I think they might lose more if they are open and have no customers because the costs are higher. But here in Central Pattaya I see some new bars opening even now - to be afterwards without customers too. But somehow they don't seem to care. The owners or managers sit there alone with some staff and all are looking happy. 

On 12/27/2020 at 3:43 PM, Nout said:

Covid has changed the pertinence of this thread. Before covid my answer would generally have been 'no' but since covid my answer is more likely to be 'yes'. Its sad in some ways but there are/were too many bars here in Pattaya offering nothing distinctive or original but the tired cliche of fizzy bottled beer, tiresome sport TV and USA chart music. We can lose 80% of most bars and that is what is happening. No great loss. Look at the growth of Hi So restaurants in Cozy Beach. Now that's interesting.

Add to that the opening of several new BJ bars around SB on soi Boomerang.

I guess the nearest thing to a favorite that closed was the Pattaya Beer Garden  A victim of Covid and one of the best Scooters, SB has limited its hours...Comfort...but for other reasons...For me. Comfort is the worst loss

1 hour ago, YAHF said:

Pattaya's soi 11 bars still open & very popular as well as low prices ( opposite New Metro )

Hungry Hippo eatery in soi Buakhow still doing well, keep it it up Rob and prices down.

Yes prices need to be down or people go elsewhere. It gets irritating him constantly changing the prices

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes prices need to be down or people go elsewhere. It gets irritating him constantly changing the prices

On my first trip to Rio all the menus were chalk as the prices often changed from afternoon to evening as inflation was so rampant

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Isn't the licence to sell alcohol only something like 2000 baht?  

How many 50 bths beers a bar needs to sell only to paid that with the profit margins done on it ?

Then there are all the others costs. the first one being the rent

i bet most of the bars owners actually still open are waiting the end

of their actual rent (Wich could end for a lot with the end of this year)

before to eventually give up

Just now, kingofthemountain said:

How many 50 bths beers a bar needs to sell only to paid that with the profit margins done on it ?

think ita pittance buut hoping I guess...

On 12/28/2020 at 3:54 PM, Nout said:

I guess the nearest thing to a favorite that closed was the Pattaya Beer Garden  A victim of Covid and one of the best Scooters, SB has limited its hours...Comfort...but for other reasons...For me. Comfort is the worst loss

Comfort? Harland Gob<deleted>e's place? No loss there, style over substance and a loud and drunken host. Glad to see the back of him.

11 hours ago, polpott said:

Comfort? Harland Gob<deleted>e's place? No loss there, style over substance and a loud and drunken host. Glad to see the back of him.

We differ. Right from its opening night the place was  full of energy, fun and foodies when other places were dull and empty. It made every other restaurant sit up and examine their policies,  menus and their atmosphere. Years of mediocre dry and dull dining was kicked in the teeth and restaurants were forced to up their game. There was always some noisy joy happening at the Comfort.  Please suggest to me an alternative.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I thought the liquor license was the Thai new year.  Anyway, I see your point.

Does anyone know what a bar buys a beer at, wholesale?

Say it's 30 baht, and sold at 50 baht, as you say.

They make 20 baht each beer, but there is rent, electric, salaries etc to pay.

Say they make 5 baht a beer, clear profit.

2000 baht / 5 baht = 400 beers need to be sold just to pay for the license.   

It would take many weeks for most of the bars to sell 400 beers.

I wonder how long many bar owners can continue to carry losses, by using their own money, before they have to walk away.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I thought the liquor license was the Thai new year.  Anyway, I see your point.

Does anyone know what a bar buys a beer at, wholesale?

Say it's 30 baht, and sold at 50 baht, as you say.

They make 20 baht each beer, but there is rent, electric, salaries etc to pay.

Say they make 5 baht a beer, clear profit.

2000 baht / 5 baht = 400 beers need to be sold just to pay for the license.   

It would take many weeks for most of the bars to sell 400 beers.

I wonder how long many bar owners can continue to carry losses, by using their own money, before they have to walk away.   

Your maths is flawed, these places make most of their profit of liquor not beer.

i bottle approx 30 singles @ 50-60 baht = 1800baht ( approx ) for a bottle of gut rot ( Sangsom etc ) bought at 300-350 baht = 500% mark up - not bad really, why care about the 5 baht per beer.

Plus rip of lady drinks or are you suggesting that's beer as well?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Your maths is flawed, these places make most of their profit of liquor not beer.

i bottle approx 30 singles @ 50-60 baht = 1800baht ( approx ) for a bottle of gut rot ( Sangsom etc ) bought at 300-350 baht = 500% mark up - not bad really, why care about the 5 baht per beer.

Plus rip of lady drinks or are you suggesting that's beer as well?

Maths not flawed.

Just used beer sales as the base example. 

Can do the same with spirits, bar fines, lady drinks, coffee etc. 

However, in my opinion, beer is the most popular alcoholic beverage in the bars here. 

Most spirt bottles are 750ml, and a nip is 30ml, so that 25 nips per bottle, but I am sure many bars cut a bottle with water.  There's also the mixer, usually coke, dry or soda to consider.      

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Maths not flawed.

However, in my opinion, beer is the most popular alcoholic beverage in the bars here. 

Most spirt bottles are 750ml, and a nip is 30ml, so that 25 nips per bottle, but I am sure many bars cut a bottle with water.  There's also the mixer, usually coke, dry or soda to consider.      

Are you suggesting bars 'water down' the hard stuff?

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

Maths not flawed.

I always thought it was 25 ml. 

On 12/28/2020 at 8:32 PM, Oldie said:

I think they might lose more if they are open and have no customers because the costs are higher. But here in Central Pattaya I see some new bars opening even now - to be afterwards without customers too. But somehow they don't seem to care. The owners or managers sit there alone with some staff and all are looking happy. 

For many, their bar is just an expensive hobby.  

• Like 2