Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was basing my comment on Ron Jeremy saying 

am quite certain that is not a single business owner that will honestly say they made the right decision investing in Thailand 

I think that is not true. My business was not in Pattaya but I did investigate Pattaya. I remember walking up and down Soi Bukhao years ago wanting to have a quiet drink. I did not want to listen to dance music, I did not want to buy a girl a lady drink, I did not want to talk to anyone but I found it hard to find.  My thought was how can any of these places survive if this is their business model. I go for a drink at the bottleshop at the bottom of  soi 6 for this reason. It is the only place on the beach I know where I won't get annoyed to buy people drinks. I think it is understandable that the enormous number of bars in Pattaya following this business model don't make money but saying it applies to all Thailand is wrong. I bought into my business cheap and have probably made my money back several times over. It is a 6 month per year proposition and the money I have made has supported me for 2 years. I could walk out tomorrow and not be regretful.

Excuse me, of course not all may regret, but certainly what has transpired it’s certainly a high percentage. Try selling a business now.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Excuse me, of course not all may regret, but certainly what has transpired it’s certainly a high percentage. Try selling a business now.

Yes agree it is dire now. I also think Pattaya has struggled for ages. My only comment was some places do ok but not at the moment

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Good post.

I agree, not all foreigners that have "invested" and I use the term "invested" losely, have lost money, or regretted their decision.  However, a high percentage have.  

I agree with your description of the situation in Soi Baukhao, but I would suggest it's across Pattaya in general.  There's no money in selling beer anymore.  They have to sell lady drinks and bar fines, and due to the use of apps, that's a dying business model.  

So, in the near future, how do Soi Baukhao business owners explain to their Thai landlords that sex can no longer be sold out of bars, and that apps have digitally disrupted the traditional Pattaya bar business model, much the same as AirBnb and Uber, did for those respective industries.  Would a Thai landlord even care, or even understand this fact?  

Business owners could simply raise the price of alcohol, because sex is no longer a product they can put a margin on in their bar, but tourists would then just go to Vietnam, for example, for cheaper sun, sea, sand and seafood.

Thailand has placed itself in an interesting place in the South East Asia tourism market, and this was happening pre covid.

Yes agree completely. My business did ok overall last year but room sales were down 25%. As I posted earlier we just became better at selling things so overall until covid we were up 20% or so.

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

1 hour ago, Ron jeremy said:

Of course trying to sell now is a non starter, but nothing was moving pre covid.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 11:07 AM, petermik said:

I have been informed Dre has retired and passed the bar,s lease over to a Thai lady friend... :thumbsup:

On 1/8/2021 at 7:48 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Yet, the bar has been stripped and is an empty shell now.

On 1/9/2021 at 12:43 AM, petermik said:

Renovating ????

I see today, the plan is to open a Pharmacy, not a bar.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Safer bet than a bar.

Also across the street from Pattaya City Hospital.

''safer bet than a bar''

not sure about it, i know few pharmacies that have definitively closed in the area.

''across the street from Pattaya city Hospital''

just in case you didn't know it, the fact is the hospital has his own pharmacy

and all the patients go out from here with their medics at a low price.

But hey i presume they have already done their economic studies and they

have a financial plan already set for the next years....

Wait a minute, didn't few donations and some prayers at the local temple aren't enough instead ? ! lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

A pharmacy on soi Bukkaho? What an original idea !

It's not like if there weren't already dozens in the area

A Fascino might work but if just a bog standard small overpriced shop then it won't. 

That Pizza Hut on Soi 13/2 looks like it's gone, cleared out, signs gone. When big chains close it's a bad sign

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That Pizza Hut on Soi 13/2 looks like it's gone, cleared out, signs gone. When big chains close it's a bad sign

Edited 8 minutes ago by scubascuba3

Good, it will be safer on foot in that area without their delivery goons playing boy racer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Some months ago, DJ Bar on Soi 7 had trouble being given away for free.  

Even without lock down, you couldn't give a bar away here, let alone sell it.  

The price can also include the price necessary to pay someone to take it off your hands. 

10 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Likewise.

Over the years i've had people ask about coming in on dive shops / bars / restaraunts / bike tour business's.....erm no thanks.

Fair enough but if everyone thought the same you wouldn't have anywhere to go for a pint, for a meal, for a massage, etc, etc.