Easiest place to apply for Tourist Visa

Hi

What is the easiest place to apply for Tourist Visa? Till 2 months ago i thought Vientiane is pretty chill, but i was refused TR there and had to entry Thailand on Visa Exempt (1st time this year).

I realize that with my history (numerous TR visas with extensions, staying most of the year in Thailand) any consulate can refuse, so i'm just looking to maximize my chances. Right now I'm considering Penang or Kuala Lumpur. Besides these 2 is there any better option?

Also as a plan B in case of being refused visa in Malaysia i would like to enter Thailand by land using Visa Exempt. Which border crossing would be the best to go through?

Cheers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Forget Penang as an option with your history.

Kuala Lumpur is a possibility but they might deny it.

For a visa exempt entry from Malaysia about any crossing would be OK since you apparently have on done one at a border crossing this year. Just be prepared to show at least 10k baht in cash (sometimes they want 20k baht) and a ticket out of the country.

Have you considered getting a new passport that would erase you history of tourist visas being issued. It does not change things for immigration but at a embassy or consulate they only look for previous visas in your passport.

Ubonjoe, do you think getting a new passport will still work in Vientiane since they have online booking now? I was denied there a few months back and I just recently got a new passport. Wondering if they would connect it online if I use the same email to book a new appointment. 

37 minutes ago, Stanton123 said:

Ubonjoe, do you think getting a new passport will still work in Vientiane since they have online booking now? I was denied there a few months back and I just recently got a new passport. Wondering if they would connect it online if I use the same email to book a new appointment. 

The system is only for appointments. It has no info about your applications or denial of a application.

Not sure how the system is set up but having the same email address with a new passport number should not effect doing a new registration for the appointment system. It doesn't have anyway I am aware of being able to change your passport number other than doing a new registration with a new passport number.

• Like 1

What's the situation on HCMC? I have just arrived here in HCMC but haven't applied for a tourist visa just yet - planning to do that tomorrow but want an update on things first. I have been in Thailand for the last two years only going to the UK once this year for 1-2 months in which I got a tourist visa on return, and since that expired in March/April I've did two border crossings at Ranong and Myanamar. So to sum it up, I haven't left much in the last two years and before that I worked here for 2 years - might look even worse that I did.

So, should I continue to apply for a visa here at HCMC? And then fly to Penang and do a border crossing? I'm thinking there's a high risk of being denied if I got one here and flew back to DM, thoughts? @ubonjoe

14 hours ago, Cheesus said:

What is the easiest place to apply for Tourist Visa?

Things have been changing so fast that it is difficult to be sure. In your position, I would apply in Yangon. You need a Myanmar visa, easily applied for online. You can fly to Yangon, then return with visa via overnight VIP bus to Myawaddy, crossing into Thailand at Maesot. From there, there are frequent flights (sometimes expensive now) to Bangkok from Maesot airport close to the border, or you can use the buses.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

What's the situation on HCMC? I have just arrived here in HCMC but haven't applied for a tourist visa just yet - planning to do that tomorrow but want an update on things first. I have been in Thailand for the last two years only going to the UK once this year for 1-2 months in which I got a tourist visa on return, and since that expired in March/April I've did two border crossings at Ranong and Myanamar. So to sum it up, I haven't left much in the last two years and before that I worked here for 2 years - might look even worse that I did.

So, should I continue to apply for a visa here at HCMC? And then fly to Penang and do a border crossing? I'm thinking there's a high risk of being denied if I got one here and flew back to DM, thoughts? @ubonjoe

The last time I got a tourist visa in HCMC they wanted a printout of the departure flight to go with the application.

All other documents and fees required were standard, but this was some time ago. 

57 minutes ago, Bountyhuntr said:

Best to apply for a tourist visa than risk doing a a entry visa exempt.

If you have done 2 visa exempt entries at a land border crossing this year you cannot do any more until next year.

I cannot predict whether you will have any problems entering at DM or not. There is no consistency on them doing a denial of entry.

It might be worth while flying into Penang or Kuala Lumpur and then doing a land entry with a tourist visa.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Best to apply for a tourist visa than risk doing a a entry visa exempt.

If you have done 2 visa exempt entries at a land border crossing this year you cannot do any more until next year.

I cannot predict whether you will have any problems entering at DM or not. There is no consistency on them doing a denial of entry.

It might be worth while flying into Penang or Kuala Lumpur and then doing a land entry with a tourist visa.

Yes that's what I meant, if I got the visa here from HCMC I could go to Penang and do a land border there with the Visa or Yangon, do you think that's safer than flying direct to DM in your honest opinion? Thanks as always. I have all documentation. @ubonjoe

Edited by Bountyhuntr

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Forget Penang as an option with your history.

Kuala Lumpur is a possibility but they might deny it.

For a visa exempt entry from Malaysia about any crossing would be OK since you apparently have on done one at a border crossing this year. Just be prepared to show at least 10k baht in cash (sometimes they want 20k baht) and a ticket out of the country.

Have you considered getting a new passport that would erase you history of tourist visas being issued. It does not change things for immigration but at a embassy or consulate they only look for previous visas in your passport.

That's a good idea man. I will definitely do that when visiting my home country at the end of the year

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Things have been changing so fast that it is difficult to be sure. In your position, I would apply in Yangon. You need a Myanmar visa, easily applied for online. You can fly to Yangon, then return with visa via overnight VIP bus to Myawaddy, crossing into Thailand at Maesot. From there, there are frequent flights (sometimes expensive now) to Bangkok from Maesot airport close to the border, or you can use the buses.

Thanks for suggestion! I've never been Myanmar so that's much more tempting than going Malaysia again. As you probably done this trip at least once can i trouble you with few questions?

1) Is the procedure any different from KL/Vientiane embassies ? Do i need to prepare any extra documents like bank statement/copy of accomodation reservation in Thailand/ticket out of Thailand?

2) At border crossing in Maesot do you need to show 10k/20k thb or ticket out of Thailand?

3) Have you been sightseeing on the way from Yangon to the border? Anywhere you would recommend to stop for a bit longer?

Also has there been any reports about people being denied TR visa in Yangon? I suck at searching ????

2 hours ago, Cheesus said:

1) Is the procedure any different from KL/Vientiane embassies ? Do i need to prepare any extra documents like bank statement/copy of accomodation reservation in Thailand/ticket out of Thailand?

They want to see flights into and out of Thailand. However, they will accept a few nights of hotel reservations instead (which you can cancel later) if you explain that you will be travelling by land. It has been a couple of years since I was last there, and I would take bank statements just in case.

2) At border crossing in Maesot do you need to show 10k/20k thb or ticket out of Thailand?

My experience is that the Maesot crossing point is the friendliest in Thailand. It is unlikely that they will ask to see anything other than your passport and completed TM6 card.

Also has there been any reports about people being denied TR visa in Yangon? I suck at searching ????

I have never heard of tourist visa applications being denied in Yangon if you can come close to meeting the requirements. That does not mean that things cannot change, but historically it has been a safe place to apply.

• Thanks 1

went last Feb , got the requirements off the Yangon website. Very straight forward and very nice people.You have to have a visa for Myanmar of course. A must see is the Schwedagon which is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. You can actually see it across the field from the Thai Embassy. Also, the Sule pagoda is beautiful .Lots of nice restaurant s , I had fab Indian food. 

• Thanks 1

If you're willing to travel, the consulates in Brisbane Australia and Auckland New Zealand are both very easy and from recent reports, each will issue a multiple-entry tourist visa to non-Australians and New Zealanders. Brisbane probably better as it's a shorter flight and they usually issue the visa while you wait / within an hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys!
I am a Pole who lives in Ao Nang, I flew to Thailand on March 15 and got 30 days on Visa Exempt then I extended it by 30 days in the immigration office. Later I did 2 border run to Malaysia and I flew twice from Kuala Lumpur to Krabi by plane.
Last time IO told me that next time I need to have turist visa, otherwise they don't let me in Thailand.
Where, with my history, can I get the easiest SETV ??

Ps. Sorry for my bad english ????

1 hour ago, blny said:

Hi guys!
I am a Pole who lives in Ao Nang, I flew to Thailand on March 15 and got 30 days on Visa Exempt then I extended it by 30 days in the immigration office. Later I did 2 border run to Malaysia and I flew twice from Kuala Lumpur to Krabi by plane.
Last time IO told me that next time I need to have turist visa, otherwise they don't let me in Thailand.
Where, with my history, can I get the easiest SETV ??

Ps. Sorry for my bad english ????

From Krabi, the obvious choice is Kuala Lumpur. Most consulates in the region are probably OK since you have no previous tourist visas in your passport. Are you planning to stay longer than a further 90 days? If so, in the current climate, you should be looking at alternatives to tourist visas.

By the way, although you cannot (safely) try to enter visa exempt by air, you can still get a visa exempt entry at most land crossings. Only use this option if you fail to get a visa at some point in the future. You are only allowed two visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year, and this is your fall back plan in emergencies.

Sounds like you have used your 2 ve border entries for 2019. You can obtain setv but its getting dangerous flying into los, even with tourist visa but thinking OK for next one. After that setv with border entry. That gets you to next yr when you have 2 ve border entries. Eventually gig is up. Flying in will not be possible. Setv will run out along with zero border entries left. 

One small tip..have one visa exempt entry up sleeve when obtaining setv anywhere. If visa issued  with VOID stamp, you will need that ve border entry.

Check out 2 current threads with members in that box.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:22 AM, Cheesus said:

I realize that with my history (numerous TR visas with extensions, staying most of the year in Thailand)

Seems pretty clear you are not a proper tourist by most accepted definitions especially if you stay for most of a one year in Thailand.  I would not be surprised that even if you do get a Tourist Visa, the immigration official at the Thai border may turn you away at some point.

24 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Seems pretty clear you are not a proper tourist by most accepted definitions especially if you stay for most of a one year in Thailand.  I would not be surprised that even if you do get a Tourist Visa, the immigration official at the Thai border may turn you away at some point.

Sorta agree but I'm thinking if he actually obtained setv a border entry not a problem. Airport entry even with visa very problematic.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers Dr Jack and Brit Tim!

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Are you planning to stay longer than a further 90 days?

Yes,  I opened a small bar and restaurants but for a business visa I need 4 million thb investment ?? Mine costs only 1 million.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Sounds like you have used your 2 ve border entries for 2019.

Yes, I used my two border runes, I know now it was stupid but my friend who lives here for a long time, claimed that I could fly from another country to Thailand and renew my 30 days on Visa Exempt. ????‍♂️

Brit Tim recommends KL, I've been there a few times, some other friendly places ?? I would like to see something new.

27 minutes ago, blny said:

Thanks for the answers Dr Jack and Brit Tim!

Yes,  I opened a small bar and restaurants but for a business visa I need 4 million thb investment ?? Mine costs only 1 million.

Yes, I used my two border runes, I know now it was stupid but my friend who lives here for a long time, claimed that I could fly from another country to Thailand and renew my 30 days on Visa Exempt. ????‍♂️

Brit Tim recommends KL, I've been there a few times, some other friendly places ?? I would like to see something new.

27 minutes ago, blny said:

Without sounding harsh I don't think your fully aware that your now skating on thin ice. There is current thread where member who had already used the two visa exempt border entry per calendar yr and flew to Saigon to obtain setv. PP returned with the visa and void stamp. So now cannot enter by land border and will need fly into Thailand hopefully obtain visa exempt stamp. (Its not visa on arrival). Even then what next and that's assuming is allowed entry. If denied entry will have to return Saigon. 

You mention "easiest place for setv...." Even if you get one you could be denied entry. BritTim suggestion of KL is good because if you get your visa and yet denied entry into los and fly back, you still retain that visa. Its not cancelled so you could enter via border. Don't put Saigon on your option list.

Edited by DrJack54

52 minutes ago, blny said:

What you think about Kota Bharu consulate?? I never been there...
If not KB, I would fly to KL by plane but I want to bo back by land by bus or train. It seems less risk to me??

If you can obtain setv somewhere then try fly in. Chaing mai might be good option. 

2 hours ago, blny said:

What you think about Kota Bharu consulate?? I never been there...
If not KB, I would fly to KL by plane but I want to bo back by land by bus or train. It seems less risk to me??

Kota Bharu has historically been a good place to apply for a tourist visa, but I have not seen recent reports. With all the changes that have been happening, nothing is guaranteed. If you do go to Kota Bharu, although it is only about an hour from the border, onward travel inside Thailand is quite time consuming.

From Kuala Lumpur, I suggest returning by bus to Hat Yai (entering Thailand at Sadao). There have been bad reports in the past, but it seems OK right now. Up until a year or so ago, I would have recommended taking the train, but there is no longer a through train service, and you must now clear immigration at the road crossing, rather than the station, where an old battleaxe tries to find an excuse to deny you entry.