installation of window mirror shields / films

Kakricas

Hi all,

Has anyone done this? There are many benefits of it, privacy first of all and then save electricity costs by keeping the temperature as low as possible. If you have acquired a company or a person to do it for you kindly write it here. 

Cheers

*i know that i can try myself to do it but it will not be perfectly fine and i want it to be done properly

Just done it myself and am pleased with the results. Improves privacy a lot and surprisingly does help keep some of the outside heat out.

Got mine from Lazada under UV window film. Pretty easy to do yourself and there are several tutorials on you tube. The secret is lots of water sprayed on water and film when fitting.

However, there was one good tip that none of the tutorials mentioned. When fitting to a large sliding glass door no matter how much water you spray on it will start to evaporate.

I found that by adding a small squirt of washing up liquid to the spray the film was a lot easier to slide around into position and left less air bubbles to be wiped out.

I used mirror finish film and it cost 600 baht ( from China ) and was enough to do two sliding patio doors and a single kitchen window.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Just done it myself and am pleased with the results. Improves privacy a lot and surprisingly does help keep some of the outside heat out.

Got mine from Lazada under UV window film. Pretty easy to do yourself and there are several tutorials on you tube. The secret is lots of water sprayed on water and film when fitting.

However, there was one good tip that none of the tutorials mentioned. When fitting to a large sliding glass door no matter how much water you spray on it will start to evaporate.

I found that by adding a small squirt of washing up liquid to the spray the film was a lot easier to slide around into position and left less air bubbles to be wiped out.

I used mirror finish film and it cost 600 baht ( from China ) and was enough to do two sliding patio doors and a single kitchen window.

Not all window films are quality. 

You can buy ones that black out but offer no UV protection. Turn your house into an oven. 

You'll find out one way or another. 

1 hour ago, hansgruber said:

Not all window films are quality. 

You can buy ones that black out but offer no UV protection. Turn your house into an oven. 

You'll find out one way or another. 

Yes....I found out by experience that for me it works fine.

39 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes....I found out by experience that for me it works fine.

How long it took you to do the installation of one window? (obviously the size matters but let's say 140cm*90cm) is  I am thinking to do it myself if i do not get a reasonable quote. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Kakricas said:

How long it took you to do the installation of one window? (obviously the size matters but let's say 140cm*90cm) is  I am thinking to do it myself if i do not get a reasonable quote. 

Cheers

Well, talking about sliding glass doors x 2 each one measuring 1.90 x 68 , took me about an hour to do the first door and about 45 minutes to do the second.

This is the total time from cutting the role to the approx size 

( oversize then trim later with razor blaze ). The kit included a plastic scraper tool you use to push out all the water one you have the role in the correct place. After, wipe down with dry cloth. Second one was easier because I added detergent to the spray which made the film glide over the glass surface easier. 

Trimming is tricky so use a straight edge rule and blade for this, not freehand.

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i308378342-s539280079.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

image.jpeg.65565a5b63de240dd8a392093f106e4b.jpeg

I should say here that if you are expecting a really dramatic drop in room temperature you won't get it. It's a question of every little helping. Before putting on the film if you stood behind the glass door you could feel the heat coming through from outside. Now it is a lot better. Unfortunately heat comes in from many other places so don't expect a drop of a couple of degrees.

9 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

A question about privacy.

At night, with inside lights on, can someone outside see in, effectively reversing the required effect?

Would depend on the density, most tend to put thinner/clearer on the front so I would think yes through the front window depending on distance, but unlikely through side and rear, again depending on density and distance.

Archived