Health insurance policies to be standardised by 2021

webfact

Health insurance policies to be standardised by 2021

By The Nation

800_c5a39cd3569f1d7.jpg?v=1565700346

The Office of the Insurance Commission plans to revise standards for health insurance contracts to ensure that consumers get a fair deal.

Suthipol Thawichaikarn, the commission’s secretary general, said executives of private insurance firms and other concerned parties would be consulted with an eye to reducing the number of complaints stemming from unfair treatment.

“If insurance conditions were fairer to consumers and adjusted to the new medical technologies, it would encourage more people to sign up for policies,” Suthipol said.

In complaints to the insurance regulator, consumers have accused private firms of refusing to renew policies when they’ve fallen ill and expressed frustration over tax deductions to which they’re entitled as policyholders.

Around four million people in Thailand currently have policies worth a combined Bt88 billion in annual premiums, which Suthipol said were relatively low numbers. The number of policies is growing between 0 and 15 per cent annually, he said.

Yet health insurance is critical because Thailand is becoming an ageing society with healthcare costs steadily rising, he warned.

The commission will also consider shortening the approval period for new policies, from 30 days to 15, he said.

New standards for insurance contracts will be enforced in 2021, he said, giving insurance firms two years to make the needed adjustments.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374709

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-14

Insurance companies to be more fair towards consumers? Presumably means more coverage and payouts. Sorry, but that will never happen. Insurance companies are profit run and designed to stubbornly pay out as little as possible and deny coverage to anyone who may be above average risk of illness. Fairness is not in their vocabulary.

Yes, thatake their responsibility and also take care of themselftpeople  is for Thais and all is well with that. They need insurance as well as expats and long time stayers in Thailand do. Wonder when they are going to speed up the process to make it mandatory for all of us to have insurance. That is really needed as a security that all people take their responsibility and also take care about themselfs.

If they keep up with letting every single person decide by themselfs, there are always going to be lazy people that disregard the need to be safe and have the protection they need. Would be nice to include that in the 2021 plans.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

there are always going to be lazy people that disregard the need to be safe and have the protection they need.

no,  the  choice  should  be  spelled  out  and  signed  by  anyone  not  wanting to  insure, insure  or you  will  be  left  for  dead if  you  do  not  have  the  funds. Simple,  i  disagree  with  compulsory  insurance, choice  is  essential on those  terms only.

22 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

no,  the  choice  should  be  spelled  out  and  signed  by  anyone  not  wanting to  insure, insure  or you  will  be  left  for  dead if  you  do  not  have  the  funds. Simple,  i  disagree  with  compulsory  insurance, choice  is  essential on those  terms only.

That is not a morally acceptable choice you are suggesting. It will go straight against all that is considered in the face of humanitarian behaviour and humanity. Therefore it´s not an option. Responsibility is an option, though. The only thing that can be considered in thta case is mandatory insurance.

9 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

That is not a morally acceptable choice you are suggesting. It will go straight against all that is considered in the face of humanitarian behaviour and humanity. Therefore it´s not an option. Responsibility is an option, though. The only thing that can be considered in thta case is mandatory insurance.

its MY  choice and  not  accepting  it  denies Me and  others  that  right  to  die,  i  choose my  morals

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

its MY  choice and  not  accepting  it  denies Me and  others  that  right  to  die,  i  choose my  morals

YOUR choice is duly noted.

In my opinion they hopefully will implement mandatory insurance in the near future, to prevent bad and stupid choices. Then people that still want to make thoose choices will have to do it somewhere else. 

Just now, Matzzon said:

YOUR choice is duly noted.

In my opinion they hopefully will implement mandatory insurance in the near future, to prevent bad and stupid choices. Then people that still want to make thoose choices will have to do it somewhere else. 

glad  you  like "dad" watching  over  you.

4 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

glad  you  like "dad" watching  over  you.

It´s not dad watching over me. I´ve been having an insurance since I was 25 years old. In my world and according to my opinion, that is a responsibility you have to tourself and for other relatives or friends that otherwise might have to pay for your mistake. But, I can hear that you can´t see anything wrong with your behaviour. I am also quite sure that you never thought about other that might have to suffer the consequences of your actions neither.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

It´s not dad watching over me. I´ve been having an insurance since I was 25 years old. In my world and according to my opinion, that is a responsibility you have to tourself and for other relatives or friends that otherwise might have to pay for your mistake. But, I can hear that you can´t see anything wrong with your behaviour. I am also quite sure that you never thought about other that might have to suffer the consequences of your actions neither.

Theres the difference I saved enough to  pay for medical treatment from an early age and lived in a country where "national insurance" at a cheap level was available, the Thai system is CRAP overpriced and useless.

Id  rather pay out of my own pocket and if it serious and life threatening I want the choice to die, you want enforcement. I have a few  million set aside and thats it, over that Im dead I accept that and no one  else is expected or asked to bail me out

I do not want or wish to lumber anyone with my predicament financially  and so want the right to die.

I cant hear........... you cant listen by the sound of it. 

4 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Theres the difference I saved enough to  pay for medical treatment from an early age and lived in a country where "national insurance" at a cheap level was available, the Thai system is CRAP overpriced and useless.

Id  rather pay out of my own pocket and if it serious and life threatening I want the choice to die, you want enforcement. I have a few  million set aside and thats it, over that Im dead I accept that and no one  else is expected or asked to bail me out

I do not want or wish to lumber anyone with my predicament financially  and so want the right to die.

I cant hear........... you cant listen by the sound of it. 

Ok, I understand that you have millions that might save you and pay for the things that might happen to you. Infortunately that´s not how the world works. It´s not possible for a nation to do checks of if the ones that are not insured have money instead. Also money is not an insurance. They can suddenly be used for something else and disappear. 

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, I understand that you have millions that might save you and pay for the things that might happen to you. Infortunately that´s not how the world works. It´s not possible for a nation to do checks of if the ones that are not insured have money instead. Also money is not an insurance. They can suddenly be used for something else and disappear. 

Sounds like you work in the insurance industry.

12 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And what if you cannot get 'Insurance' because of your age or previous problems? I have had two admissions to the Hua-Hin General Hospital, one for a brain operation and one for pneumonia and have paid from my own private funds I'm 76. I believe that the recent changes in what you are required to have as a minimum in the bank in order to get and keep your 'retirement extension' 400,000 is to ensure that you have enough money to pay for your own treatment in a Thai Hospital. It is of course your prerogative to have 'Health Insurance' if you wish, but please don't force it (or wish it) onto other people. The recent change in Thai policy to people coming here on holiday that they have to pay some 100 Baht for health insurance during their stay is a total load of BS. The Thai authorities claimed that they were loosing some 20M Baht per year (more BS) because holiday makers were not paying their hospital bills (if this is true) could be solved very easily by the hospital in question holding the passport of the person receiving treatment until the bill is paid. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out does it? 

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Everyone is a tough guy when they are healthy. When your leg is hanging off on the side of the road and you are half unconscious from some soft of an accident usually the bird sings another tune.  

1 minute ago, Wilson Smith said:

Everyone is a tough guy when they are healthy. When your leg is hanging off on the side of the road and you are half unconscious from some soft of an accident usually the bird sings another tune.  

My leg was hanging off the other week, I was taken to the hospital and paid them to fix  it, I am covered  by motor  insurance for road  accident thru my car policy

Its exactly what Thailand does, its ask you to keep 400 or 800k in the bank for "expenses"

Nope, that is for showing that you have enough money for living and supporting yourself in a foreign country. As of my opinion that is not at all close to the amount they actually should ask for. 400/800k baht gets you almost nowhere in any country. Would be better with 2/4M baht. Then they should lock half of that all year. In that case there would be enough for replacing a, hopefully coming soon, mandatory insurance.

Yes it  can but I  fully  understand that if its  not there I accept that I will die. I want no one to bail me out in any way.

And all your friends and relatives are of the same opinion and would respect your choice? If so, how many people and families more than you do you think that goes for. Rules and laws are not implementes for one single persons view on things. They are mostly implemented to care for the general public.

3 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And all your friends and relatives are of the same opinion and would respect your choice? If so, how many people and families more than you do you think that goes for. Rules and laws are not implementes for one single persons view on things. They are mostly implemented to care for the general public.

Relatives, I have a 93  year old  Mother and a  Wife, Thats it I have no need of "friends" and my wishes will be respected, Its  not "care" if it was  care it would be 1,  much cheaper so EVERYONE could  afford it and 2 not enforced, thats "care"

I have no control over other people and wouldnt wish to.

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If they keep up with letting every single person decide by themselfs, there are always going to be lazy people that disregard the need to be safe and have the protection they need. Would be nice to include that in the 2021 plans.

Garbage - I don't have a very expensive health policy as if anything happens to me, and I mean anything, I have more than enough cash in the bank to pay for it and if it doesn't happen to me, I keep myself very fit, then I'm quids in. ie I insure myself

How am I lazy ?

1 minute ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Garbage - I don't have a very expensive health policy as if anything happens to me, and I mean anything, I have more than enough cash in the bank to pay for it and if it doesn't happen to me, I keep myself very fit, then I'm quids in. ie I insure myself

How am I lazy ?

Don't talk silly. I just got Bht 12M of cover for Bht 120,000. What treatment could I get for 120k, not much?

Archived