Health insurance policies to be standardised by 2021

webfact

3 minutes ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Garbage - I don't have a very expensive health policy as if anything happens to me, and I mean anything, I have more than enough cash in the bank to pay for it and if it doesn't happen to me, I keep myself very fit, then I'm quids in. ie I insure myself

How am I lazy ?

It´s not something that you can call an insurance.

A step in the right direction . International policies are governed and regulated by either EU or UK, Thai policies regulated by no one and this is why they do whatever they like to do.

Highly unlikely it will mean cheaper prices but perhaps less problems with local policies 

Having sufficient funds held overseas (earning sensible rates of interest) is a very realistic alternative to having unnecessary and expensive insurance.  And assuming that the money will be used for "something else" is patronising and offensive. And having the money available for potential future health problems is not a "bad and stupid choice" it is a personal and realistic choice.

The health insurance that I have seen in Thailand is dreadful value for money, and would in any case not cover any serious health issue. It is purely a rip off sponsored by the administration to bolster up inefficient insurance companies. 

Its the same logic as asking for 400K or 800K baht to be held in a THAI bank. The only logic for this is to give the appallingly badly managed local banks a boost. 350,000 farangs with an average of say 600K is an influx of 210 billion baht! (The alternative income method allows the banks an even bigger rip-off on exchange rates).

Bolstering up an inefficient and poorly managed sector artificially, makes that sector less viable rather than more viable. (The Thailand wine producers being a good and clear example, but there are so many others!)

2 minutes ago, John Begg said:

Having sufficient funds held overseas (earning sensible rates of interest) is a very realistic alternative to having unnecessary and expensive insurance.  And assuming that the money will be used for "something else" is patronising and offensive. And having the money available for potential future health problems is not a "bad and stupid choice" it is a personal and realistic choice.

The health insurance that I have seen in Thailand is dreadful value for money, and would in any case not cover any serious health issue. It is purely a rip off sponsored by the administration to bolster up inefficient insurance companies. 

Its the same logic as asking for 400K or 800K baht to be held in a THAI bank. The only logic for this is to give the appallingly badly managed local banks a boost. 350,000 farangs with an average of say 600K is an influx of 210 billion baht! (The alternative income method allows the banks an even bigger rip-off on exchange rates).

Bolstering up an inefficient and poorly managed sector artificially, makes that sector less viable rather than more viable. (The Thailand wine producers being a good and clear example, but there are so many others!)

Please share what insurance you had seen that is dreadful value for money and would not cover serious illness ?

Fire away ????

21 minutes ago, John Begg said:

The health insurance that I have seen in Thailand is dreadful value for money,

Then why don't you look outside Thailand for a policy eg Cigna....USA company, administered in Scotland

It seems the insurance industry is lobbying hard to boost their business and get people to pay premiums to invest into their insurance products.

It seems their investment funds in the stock markets are producing almost nothing in profits for the last 3 years.

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That is not a morally acceptable choice you are suggesting. It will go straight against all that is considered in the face of humanitarian behaviour and humanity. Therefore it´s not an option. Responsibility is an option, though. The only thing that can be considered in thta case is mandatory insurance.

And I'm guessing that you will let us all know how these poor folk will pay for that "mandatory" insurance from companies that will screw them over in a second with their third or fourth rate policies. A whole lot of these people barely make it from day to day on what they have let alone forking out even more for the privilege of getting screwed. Talk about morally acceptable. 

7 hours ago, justin case said:

thai people pay nothing, so do they even have a right to complain ?

who is paying full price or double or more ?

and it takes 2 years to implement something ?

Only those who get treated In public hospital . Thai who want to be treated  in private also need to take out insurance , some policies are tax deductible also 

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Don't talk silly. I just got Bht 12M of cover for Bht 120,000. What treatment could I get for 120k, not much?

What ? I haven't had a need for hospital treatment for 35 years+ - who's in profit, me or you ?

You are paying over £3,000 for something that might not happen year after year - lunacy !

10 hours ago, BestB said:

Please share what insurance you had seen that is dreadful value for money and would not cover serious illness ?

Fire away ????

Wise up - if you put a heavy claim in the very first thing insurance companies will do is troll through your medical records for the slightest reason to deny your claim so its fair to say that many of the people gloating they have gold standard health insurance aren't even covered! Then there's the excesses, restriction of choice etc etc 

Self insurance rules all that worry/scrutiny out as well as giving me the option of choosing exactly who and when I want someone to treat me.

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, thatake their responsibility and also take care of themselftpeople  is for Thais and all is well with that. They need insurance as well as expats and long time stayers in Thailand do. Wonder when they are going to speed up the process to make it mandatory for all of us to have insurance. That is really needed as a security that all people take their responsibility and also take care about themselfs.

If they keep up with letting every single person decide by themselfs, there are always going to be lazy people that disregard the need to be safe and have the protection they need. Would be nice to include that in the 2021 plans.

Rrrrrrrrrr.......Let me see.....How about....No not interested...

6 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

Why not ? What are you struggling with ? - if I have the means to cover ANY health related incident I am insured with myself ? 

I'm baffled why you don't get that ?

The reason with insurance is also that it should work for the part thta recieves the money or payment. If you have 5 million today, is not a guarantee for the second part that you will have that tomrrow or when something happens. Maybe less baffled now, or otherwise you are refusing and not struggling.

6 hours ago, Handsome Gardener said:

What ? I haven't had a need for hospital treatment for 35 years+ - who's in profit, me or you ?

You are paying over £3,000 for something that might not happen year after year - lunacy !

No, know I can see you do not understand. That is what is called an insurance, because it gives you security in life. Let´s see if the next 5 years will still hold the profit for you. That´s no profit at all. That´s where the pure lunacy lives.

7 hours ago, Dap said:

And I'm guessing that you will let us all know how these poor folk will pay for that "mandatory" insurance from companies that will screw them over in a second with their third or fourth rate policies. A whole lot of these people barely make it from day to day on what they have let alone forking out even more for the privilege of getting screwed. Talk about morally acceptable. 

I was taking the conversation further and are at the moment talking about mandatory insurance for foreigners. That Thai people can´t afford this, I am well aware of. Most of them will not need too, due to that it only concerns treatment in private hospitals, and special treatment in government hospitals. Some will want to have that treatment, and then they will have to pay like everybody else for private care. Simple as that, so no bad moral here.

I just looked into travel to Europe. The travel insurance there is a deal. I am not sure how good it is but it is very fairly priced. And the cut off age is 75. 

I don't understand why Thailand cannot implement that for Tourists and it's people.  

I also looked into buying insurance for Thailand threw one of the big insurance companies. It was about two to three times higher as the  European insurance. Something is definitely WRONG with this picture.

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Don't talk silly. I just got Bht 12M of cover for Bht 120,000. What treatment could I get for 120k, not much?

u  think  u  got  12million lets  see when/if  u  have  a  problem they  actually  pay  out..............with  12  million in a  deposit  account i "know" i  have 12million  cover

22 hours ago, cheshiremusicman said:

I believe that the recent changes in what you are required to have as a minimum in the bank in order to get and keep your 'retirement extension' 400,000 is to ensure that you have enough money to pay for your own treatment in a Thai Hospital.

However, if you use that 400k to pay for treatment in a Thai hospital, you will not need it for your extension....because you will not get one.

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, know I can see you do not understand. That is what is called an insurance, because it gives you security in life. Let´s see if the next 5 years will still hold the profit for you. That´s no profit at all. That´s where the pure lunacy lives.

I was taking the conversation further and are at the moment talking about mandatory insurance for foreigners. That Thai people can´t afford this, I am well aware of. Most of them will not need too, due to that it only concerns treatment in private hospitals, and special treatment in government hospitals. Some will want to have that treatment, and then they will have to pay like everybody else for private care. Simple as that, so no bad moral here.

Then you are off topic.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, Handsome Gardener said:

Garbage - I don't have a very expensive health policy as if anything happens to me, and I mean anything, I have more than enough cash in the bank to pay for it and if it doesn't happen to me, I keep myself very fit, then I'm quids in. ie I insure myself

How am I lazy ?

I agree...... but would not have given you a "like" if your chosen user name was different.  Please know that

I am  "sexy man"   . copyright pending

On 8/14/2019 at 9:40 PM, Handsome Gardener said:

Wise up - if you put a heavy claim in the very first thing insurance companies will do is troll through your medical records for the slightest reason to deny your claim so its fair to say that many of the people gloating they have gold standard health insurance aren't even covered! Then there's the excesses, restriction of choice etc etc 

Self insurance rules all that worry/scrutiny out as well as giving me the option of choosing exactly who and when I want someone to treat me.

Stop posting nonsense . I had 130000 baht claim 6 months through my cover , it was paid with no hassles at all and renewal was the same.

of course if you try to outsmart insurance and get caught then sadly you were not smart enough.

insurance can not “dig” if there is no reason to dig, but you welcome to self insure and if it fails there is always gofund me????

Archived