Thai tourism ‘will be hit badly’ by Hong Kong airport closure

webfact

By The Nation

800_43a4f376545ac73.jpeg?v=1565697674

The shutdown of Hong Kong airport could cost Thailand Bt1.4 billion in lost income, Kasikorn Research Centre said.

The centre estimates the Thai tourism industry will be adversely hit if flights from Hong Kong are disrupted for more than seven days. This is high season for Hong Kong tourists to visit Thailand, because school closes for summer in August there. Thailand has been getting anything from 4,200 to 5,000 visitors from Hong Kong daily this month.

“If the airport is shut for seven days, we will lose up to 30,000 visitors,” the research centre warned. 

Last year, 1.02 million people from Hong Kong visited Thailand, representing 2.65 per cent of the market share, resulting in an income of Bt42 billion.

Flights from Hong Kong were cancelled for a second day when protesters took over the airport on Tuesday afternoon, after it had opened earlier in the day to start rescheduling flights.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374704

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-14

this can't be true. air travel is a very insignificant industry, and this is only one airport... although a big "hub"..... example... air travel only causes 2 per cent of future "ice melting" in 2100 something... so it should not be unfairly blamed for hurting tourism or the economy at all. maybe only 2 per cent.

.-thai-commerce-ministry-optimistic-of-export-growth-hk-unrest-has-little-effect/

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pick a card.....any card! If bullshit was music...………............….!

Interesting article picked up by the local papers yesterday, which explains why this is such a problem in relation to Cathay Pacific (HK's national carrier), who I would assume carry a fair few of the Chinese tourists who visit. A quarter of Cathay's business requires use of Chinese airspace, since flight schedules include mainland China or Europe. Flights to and from Hong Kong aren't typically some local inter-regional hop between HK-BKK such as those provided by the low budget airlines, but often part of a longer haul sector that stretches to Europe and maybe as far as the US. I also used Cathay a couple of years ago to Bangkok from London and it was clear the final leg (which was jam packed) was also a connecting flight for travellers from mainland China. Closure of Chinese airspace would send their ticket prices from Europe into the stratosphere, killing the profitability of these routes - they don't get much of their profit through passengers who hop on the last sector only. The writer draws parallels to the devastating effects the closure of Saudi airspace had on Qatar Airways' business in recent years, and sets out how much worse this would be for the HK airline:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-08-12/china-clips-cathay-s-wings-over-staff-backing-hong-kong-protests

This is gold for TAT,they can draw the focus away from the fact that due to many factors not least the strength of the Baht,tourism is down just about everywhere here,i was recently in Kanchanaburi,i go there a fair bit and have never seen it so dead,my girlfriend and i hired a boat up the river,we were the only ones at the peir and had the boat to ourselves,other mates have recently been to Pattaya and one to Phuket,he could not believe the prices for beer.

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

This is gold for TAT,they can draw the focus away from the fact that due to many factors not least the strength of the Baht,tourism is down just about everywhere here,i was recently in Kanchanaburi,i go there a fair bit and have never seen it so dead,my girlfriend and i hired a boat up the river,we were the only ones at the peir and had the boat to ourselves,other mates have recently been to Pattaya and one to Phuket,he could not believe the prices for beer.

Agreed-  I have never seen the tourist business so slow- was in Nong Khai recently and on the Mekong- I saw only a few other Westerners- most of the tourist hotels are closed due to lack of business and even the main shopping mall is devoid of any Western Tourists- only people in town other than the locals were  Laotions coming for their weekend shopping from Laos.

If air traffic is disrupted long term from Hong Kong due to the Chinese Army moving in- there will be a huge international reaction not to mention a lack of any Chinese coming to Thailand.

Can anybody find me somebody to blame?
Ooh, each morning I get up I die a little
Can barely stand on my feet
(Take a look at yourself) Take a look in the mirror and cry (and cry)
Lord, what you're doing to me (yeah yeah)
I have spent all my years in believing you
But I just can't get no relief, Lord!
Somebody (somebody) ooh somebody (somebody)
I work hard (he works hard) every day of my life
I work 'til I ache in my bones
At the end (at the end of the day)
I take home my hard earned pay all on my own
I get down (down) on my knees (knees)
And I start to pray
'Til the tears run down from my eyes
Lord, somebody (somebody), ooh somebody
(Please) can anybody find me somebody to blame?
Everyday (everyday) I try and I try and I try
But everybody wants to put me down
They say I'm going crazy
They say I got a lot of water in my brain
Ah, got no common sense
I got nobody left to believe in
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Oh, Lord
Ooh somebody, ooh somebody
(Can anybody find me someone to blame)
Got no feel, I got no rhythm
I just keep losing my beat (you just keep losing and losing)
I'm OK, I'm alright (he's alright, he's alright)
I ain't gonna face no defeat (yeah yeah)
I just gotta get out of this prison cell
One day (someday) I'm gonna be free, Lord!
Find me somebody to blame
Find me somebody to blame blame blame
Somebody somebody somebody somebody
Somebody find me
Somebody find me somebody to blame
(Find me somebody to blame)
Ooh
Find me somebody, somebody (find me somebody to blame) somebody, somebody to blame
Find me, find me, find me, find me, find me
Ooh, somebody to blame (Find me somebody to blame)
Ooh (find me somebody to blame)
Find me, find me, find me somebody to blame (find me somebody to blame)
Anybody, anywhere, anybody find me somebody to blame blame blame!
Somebody find me, find me blame

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The shutdown of Hong Kong airport could cost Thailand Bt1.4 billion in lost income,

this should teach a good lesson to TAT when they publish their "optimistic" forecasts....

6 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

this can't be true. air travel is a very insignificant industry, and this is only one airport... although a big "hub"..... example... air travel only causes 2 per cent of future "ice melting" in 2100 something... so it should not be unfairly blamed for hurting tourism or the economy at all. maybe only 2 per cent.

I think what they were talking about was tourist from Hong Kong

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

my girlfriend and i hired a boat up the river,we were the only ones at the peir and had the boat to ourselves

No complaints then....  When I go on a short holiday, I do it during low/dead season. Hate crowded places.????

14 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

Find me somebody to blame blame blame
Somebody somebody somebody somebody
Somebody find me
Somebody find me somebody to blame
Ooh
Find me somebody, somebody (find me somebody to blame) somebody, somebody to blame
Find me, find me, find me, find me, find me
Ooh, somebody to blame (Find me somebody to blame)
Ooh (find me somebody to blame)
Find me, find me, find me somebody to blame (find me somebody to blame)
Anybody, anywhere, anybody find me somebody to blame blame blame!
Somebody find me, find me blame

Did you get this from PM Prayut's Greatest Hits album? Which volume, I want a copy.

2 hours ago, toenail said:

Hong Kong airport is a hub for many transfer flights. I believe the protests in the airport do not effect transfer flights. Delays, yes. 

I get from the news that on several days now all flights were canceled, so how would transfer flights not be affected?

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Watching the Thai news this morning, Chinese tanks are already at the border. 

Troop carriers. On typhoon alert in Fujian. 667km from Hong Kong. If you'd ever been to Hong Kong, you would know the folly of trying to drive a tank around.

The PLA already has a garrison in HK, with 6000 troops in it. Has done since 1998.

Archived