U.S. Democrats pressure Senate Republicans for gun control action

webfact

1 minute ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Does this include the mass shootings of Black people by Black people such as the slaughters that take place in Chicago on weekly basis?

If I remember correctly, the weekend when the two shootings occured in El Paso and Ohio (don't remember the city), just in Chicago alone, there were about 70 people shot.  

Some of those shootings met the criteria for the definition of "mass shooting" when 4 or more people are shot. 

Not much news coverage of that. 

Or this:

"in Chicago, 1,692 people have been shot this year.  That is 186 times fewer than 2018."   

If you do some research, you can find that most of those shootings were done by illegally possessed firearms committed by criminals that are prohibited by law, from possessing those firearms. 

What may be conflated into these numbers may be justifiable, under law, shootings.   

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

Rich people pay other people to carry guns, sometimes actual, select fire, fully automatic, firearms for them.  

e.g. Ted Kennedy had armed, private guards carrying machine guns, illegally, in the U.S. Capital.  

I don't think anyone went to jail or prison for the illegal possession of the firearms.  Some people are more equal than others. 

Please tell us more about your Ted Kennedy claim.  Use referenced sources.

If I remember correctly, the weekend when the two shootings occured in El Paso and Ohio (don't remember the city), just in Chicago alone, there were about 70 people shot.  

Some of those shootings met the criteria for the definition of "mass shooting" when 4 or more people are shot. 

Not much news coverage of that. 

Or this:

"in Chicago, 1,692 people have been shot this year.  That is 186 times fewer than 2018."   

If you do some research, you can find that most of those shootings were done by illegally possessed firearms committed by criminals that are prohibited by law, from possessing those firearms. 

What may be conflated into these numbers may be justifiable, under law, shootings.   

"If you do some research, you can find that most of those shootings were done by illegally possessed firearms committed by criminals that are prohibited by law, from possessing those firearms."

I'm sure that's true.  I'm also sure that requiring anyone using a gun to have a license, registering all guns, and allowing police to check licenses and registrations, much like they check driver and vehicle license and registration during traffic stops, would greatly reduce the number of illegal guns out there.

Going one step further, people who have guns stolen because they are not kept in a secure location should bear some responsibility for crimes committed with these stolen guns.  There are people stupid enough to leave guns in unlocked cars and houses.  That should be illegal.

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

"If you do some research, you can find that most of those shootings were done by illegally possessed firearms committed by criminals that are prohibited by law, from possessing those firearms."

I'm sure that's true.  I'm also sure that requiring anyone using a gun to have a license, registering all guns, and allowing police to check licenses and registrations, much like they check driver and vehicle license and registration during traffic stops, would greatly reduce the number of illegal guns out there.

Going one step further, people who have guns stolen because they are not kept in a secure location should bear some responsibility for crimes committed with these stolen guns.  There are people stupid enough to leave guns in unlocked cars and houses.  That should be illegal.

Law enforcement personnel too?

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Guns+stolen+from+FBI+and+other+law+enforcement&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Chicago firearms requirements. 

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/things-to-do/5-steps-to-getting-a-gun-in-chicago

Illegal gun purchases, buy firearms from some one selling firearms illegally. 
Back ground check. 
Seller: Do you have $500.00 for this glock? 

Buyer: Yes, here are 5 Franklin's (or whatever denomination you need). 

Seller: Here is your (illegally purchased and possessed) gun.  

Buyer: What else you got?

Seller:  Berettas, Smith & Wesson, I got all them guns.  You know anyone else that wants a gun, send them to me and I give you a discount on your next purchase!

I used to know people in Santa Cruz that sold stolen firearms.  They were selling for less than retail in 1983-84.  $350.00 I think was the price for stolen glock at that time, because they were popular at that time.   $100 to $300 for other handguns.  One to two hours to get one, vs 2 weeks to buy one legally.  No background check. 

I think I already addressed the stop and check for firearms in an different post.  A violation of the Fourth Amendment against illegal search and seizure.   There is a requirement that a crime has been committed or about to be committed before police do a stop and search.

Nothing will happen Mitch will kill it they are terrified of the nra right now it’s polling 90% for background checks and red flag confiscateion if the republicans won’t help stop the slaughter they will get voted out

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Nothing will happen Mitch will kill it they are terrified of the nra right now it’s polling 90% for background checks and red flag confiscateion if the republicans won’t help stop the slaughter they will get voted out

Why don't the democrat mayors of the four cities that has 25% of all the gun crime in the United States do something to stop the slaughter in their cities?   

Those four cities also has  the most restrictive firearms ownership laws in the United States, yet still has the 1/4 of all gun crimes.  

7 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Why don't the democrat mayors of the four cities that has 25% of all the gun crime in the United States do something to stop the slaughter in their cities?   

Those four cities also has  the most restrictive firearms ownership laws in the United States, yet still has the 1/4 of all gun crimes.  

Ever heard of crossing a city line? 

12 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Could you be more verbose in making your point?

I do not understand what you mean by your comment.  

It’s the easy availablity of the assault style of long gun I could easily be more verbose but I’m not taking the bait

Just now, Tug said:

It’s the easy availablity of the assault style of long gun I could easily be more verbose but I’m not taking the bait

I also don't know what you mean by "taking the bait".  I still do not understand what you meant by crossing city lines reference means.    
A firearm purchase of any kind is first regulated by Federal Law, when purchased legally in the United States and then has some additional regulatory laws in some states, or in some states, has all the same restrictions and requirements that Federal Law has (seems they just copy and paste Federal Law into their books).  Unless you are under a certain age, 18 (?), then you are not allowed to purchase pistols or pistol ammunition. 

You are not allowed, by law, to take some firearms, legally owned in some states into others, due to restrictive or prohibitive laws in that other state, unless you comply with Federal Law that allows you to transit through a state with your firearm, but not stay longer than the time it takes you to transit said state. 

This also applies to ammunition in some cases, e.g.  Pennsylvania allows the ownership and possession and use of hollow point pistol ammunition.  New Jersey does not (I may or may not be wrong about NJ and hollow points). 

You can fly into New York City airport and depart the airport enroute to your destination, with firearms that are prohibited or requires licensing by New York City, when that firearm is in checked baggage and you do not have access to the baggage, thus your firearm.  But you may not break your transit and stay overnight in New York City with your checked baggage in your possession.  Otherwise you can be arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm.  

Law enforcement personnel too?

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Guns+stolen+from+FBI+and+other+law+enforcement&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Chicago firearms requirements. 

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/things-to-do/5-steps-to-getting-a-gun-in-chicago

Illegal gun purchases, buy firearms from some one selling firearms illegally. 
Back ground check. 
Seller: Do you have $500.00 for this glock? 

Buyer: Yes, here are 5 Franklin's (or whatever denomination you need). 

Seller: Here is your (illegally purchased and possessed) gun.  

Buyer: What else you got?

Seller:  Berettas, Smith & Wesson, I got all them guns.  You know anyone else that wants a gun, send them to me and I give you a discount on your next purchase!

I used to know people in Santa Cruz that sold stolen firearms.  They were selling for less than retail in 1983-84.  $350.00 I think was the price for stolen glock at that time, because they were popular at that time.   $100 to $300 for other handguns.  One to two hours to get one, vs 2 weeks to buy one legally.  No background check. 

I think I already addressed the stop and check for firearms in an different post.  A violation of the Fourth Amendment against illegal search and seizure.   There is a requirement that a crime has been committed or about to be committed before police do a stop and search.

Yes, you provide excellent reasons why there should be background checks for every legal gun sale, licensing of people who use guns, and registration of all guns.  As I indicated, there should also be penalties for people who store their weapons improperly, making them easy to steal.

I didn't advocate random stop and checks.  I used the analogy of police checking license and registration when pulling over a vehicle for some offense.  However I assume weapons checks similar to sobriety check points could be implemented in areas with a high rate of gun crimes. 

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

Yes, and these cities are a short drive from places with less restrictive gun laws.  Licensing and registration nationwide, not just in some jurisdictions, would go a long way to solving the problem of purchasing a gun where it is easy and legal and then carrying the gun to where it is illegal.

1 hour ago, radiochaser said:

I also don't know what you mean by "taking the bait".  I still do not understand what you meant by crossing city lines reference means.    
A firearm purchase of any kind is first regulated by Federal Law, when purchased legally in the United States and then has some additional regulatory laws in some states, or in some states, has all the same restrictions and requirements that Federal Law has (seems they just copy and paste Federal Law into their books).  Unless you are under a certain age, 18 (?), then you are not allowed to purchase pistols or pistol ammunition. 

You are not allowed, by law, to take some firearms, legally owned in some states into others, due to restrictive or prohibitive laws in that other state, unless you comply with Federal Law that allows you to transit through a state with your firearm, but not stay longer than the time it takes you to transit said state. 

This also applies to ammunition in some cases, e.g.  Pennsylvania allows the ownership and possession and use of hollow point pistol ammunition.  New Jersey does not (I may or may not be wrong about NJ and hollow points). 

You can fly into New York City airport and depart the airport enroute to your destination, with firearms that are prohibited or requires licensing by New York City, when that firearm is in checked baggage and you do not have access to the baggage, thus your firearm.  But you may not break your transit and stay overnight in New York City with your checked baggage in your possession.  Otherwise you can be arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm.  

Another fine argument for national gun laws instead of a patchwork of laws, restrictions and regulations.

Really? I grew up right near Newtown Connecticut and it’s about as  white ( and quite wealthy) as it gets and the kids were all about 6 years old that got killed ( over 20 of them ) it was under Obama’s presidency if that matters to you as well.  Any other points you care to share? 

Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.

Frank Zappa

It doesn’t matter Democrats or Republicans they are all just puppets.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Johnyo said:

Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.

Frank Zappa

It doesn’t matter Democrats or Republicans they are all just puppets.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Is that an excuse for passive, apathetic nihilism?  Will you accept every injustice there is with no effort to change things?

Archived