Twenty-two states sue Trump administration over carbon rule replacement

webfact

Twenty-two states sue Trump administration over carbon rule replacement

By Valerie Volcovici

2019-08-13T164604Z_2_LYNXNPEF7C1BB_RTROPTP_4_SPRINT-M-A-T-MOBILE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: New York State Attorney General Letitia James speaks at a news conference to announce the filing of a federal lawsuit in partnership with at least 10 U.S. state attorneys general to stop a proposed $26 billion merger of mobile carriers Sprint and T-Mobile in New York, U.S., June 11, 2019. REUTERS/Mike Segar

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Twenty-two states, including New York and California, and seven cities on Tuesday sued to challenge the Environmental Protection Agency's replacement of the Obama administration's Clean Power Plan, arguing it prolongs U.S. reliance on coal power and obstructs states that pursue cleaner electricity generation.

The petition filed in a federal appellate court in Washington calls for the rule to be vacated. The petitioners argue that the EPA's Affordable Clean Energy (ACE) rule, which it finalized in June, will not curb rising carbon emissions from power plants and will prolong the operation of dirtier coal plants .

"Without significant course correction, we are careening towards a climate disaster," New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement announcing the lawsuit, adding that the coalition of states and cities "will fight back against this unlawful, do-nothing rule."

The lawsuit is one of dozens undertaken by Democratic-led states to challenge the Trump administration's series of rollbacks of major rules in the energy sector aimed at easing regulatory burdens for industry.

California, which is currently at odds with the EPA over the state's ability to enforce stricter vehicle emissions rules, has filed 55 lawsuits against the Trump administration.

EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler in June unveiled the ACE, which set guidelines for states to develop performance standards for power plants to boost the amount of power produced relative to the amount of coal burned.

Obama’s Clean Power Plan, by contrast, had aimed to slash power plant carbon emissions by more than a third from 2005 levels by 2030. It aimed to do this by pushing utilities to drop coal in favor of cleaner fuels like natural gas, as well as solar and wind power, and allowing states to decrease their emissions through a variety of options.

The states and cities that sued on Tuesday said the EPA ACE rule only requires utilities to undertake modest equipment upgrades at power plants that would not result in significant emissions reductions. This, they argue, violates the federal Clean Air Act, which requires the EPA to require the use of the "best available control technology" possible.

They argue that ACE does not recognize efforts by states that have implemented emissions trading programs to slash greenhouse gas emissions, such as California and New York.

"The ACE plan tries to reverse the progress California and other states are making and to keep the oldest and dirtiest coal plants on life support," said California Air Resources Board chair Mary Nichols. "It fails the tests of law and economics.”

(Reporting by Valerie Volcovici; editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-14

14 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Peak TDS reached yet? 555 

Nah, there’s plenty more time for trump to reach even greater signs of derangement. 

Heck, you never know, he may even suspend sanctions on China and come up with a lame ass excuse as to why he’s doing it...

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"Without significant course correction, we are careening towards a climate disaster," New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement announcing the lawsuit, adding that the coalition of states and cities "will fight back against this unlawful, do-nothing rule."

Yawwwwnnnnnn.   Another disaster gloomster....has this woman met the Swedish teeny-bopper - oh no, it must be the AOC, who wants us to eat grass in the dark if we are still alive in 2030....

2 hours ago, blazes said:

Yawwwwnnnnnn.   Another disaster gloomster....has this woman met the Swedish teeny-bopper - oh no, it must be the AOC, who wants us to eat grass in the dark if we are still alive in 2030....

Spoken like a true selfish Trump fan.

The 'Swedish teeny-bopper' you refer to is at least trying to make a difference since your generation has tried it's level best to spoil everything for her generation......and will probably succeed if Trump and the EPA (now there's an oxymoron now it's under Trump) get their way.

Why anyone can argue against protecting the environment is beyond me but this adoration of Trump and anything he does even if it goes directly against your own interests, really takes the biscuit.

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Nah, there’s plenty more time for trump to reach even greater signs of derangement. 

Heck, you never know, he may even suspend sanctions on China and come up with a lame ass excuse as to why he’s doing it...

My crystal ball is in need of repair. Yours seems to be working. 

45 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

The 'Swedish teeny-bopper' you refer to is at least trying to make a difference since your generation has tried it's level best to spoil everything for her generation......and will probably succeed if Trump and the EPA (now there's an oxymoron now it's under Trump) get their way.

Why anyone can argue against protecting the environment is beyond me but this adoration of Trump and anything he does even if it goes directly against your own interests, really takes the biscuit.

The reverse could be said of your statement. I suppose time will tell whose version is more accurate. I don't adore any elected official, nor do I adore those who profess to assign labels of such adoration.

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

I suppose time will tell whose version is more accurate.

That time has already passed.

July 8, 2019:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/how-trumps-environmental-record-compares-to-his-claims

• In a speech Monday, President Donald Trump painted himself as a steward of the environment, arguing that his policies promote clean air and water while also helping grow the economy.
  • “We will defend the environment but we will also defend American sovereignty, American prosperity and American jobs,” Trump said in remarks at the White House.
  • The president touted his record on air and water quality, ocean cleanliness and greenhouse gas emissions.

Any version by Trump will be a lie.

This is how our democracy works - volatile movement in what is usually the right direction. It helps to find the balance. Compared to many other countries, the US is not doing a terrible job with the environment, but there is always need for improvement.

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Yeah I just saw on TV she's going to sail across the Atlantic of course she's going to have an enteroge of boats supporting and filming her so it's just a puplicity stunt

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He drives US Government and foreign state spending to businesses he owns, runs around the country campaigning but fails to pay the cities he visits for the security and other services his campaign uses. 

He's got his snout stuffed deep in the trough of public finances. 

That's the same for all politicians both sides of the aisle why spend millions for a job that pays less than$200.000 for a Congress person $400.000 for president

10 hours ago, Benmart said:

The reverse could be said of your statement. I suppose time will tell whose version is more accurate. I don't adore any elected official, nor do I adore those who profess to assign labels of such adoration.

I know, it’s the deepstate causing all this warming right?  This scientific stuff overrated I guess?  Maybe it’s simply god’s will-that will clear  you from dealing with facts ????

17 hours ago, Fred white said:

All these libarals need to turn off their power get rid of cell phones live in a straw hut and raise their food by hand like in the dark ages 

Because the choice is between fossil fuels and the dark ages?

80% renewables is cake – let the extremists argue over the rest

A general consensus among researchers is starting to arise, showing that reaching 80% wind plus solar across various markets in the United States can be done at pricing equal to or cheaper than the cost of electricity today.

use the only choice is lots more fossil fuel or the dark ages? 

https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2019/08/14/80-renewables-is-cake-let-the-extremists-argue-over-the-rest/

16 hours ago, Benmart said:

The problem with 'time will tell' is if the version is what I, the vast majority of scientists and any sane person knows is the likely outcome, there won't be an opportunity to wear an 'I told you so' tee shirt and gloat over the likes of you.

Again, I cannot see any issue with treating our environment and the planet in general with some respect and will constantly question an older generation who have rung the living hell out of it so far to the detriment of the younger generation. 

Giving up environmental protections in favour of big business is immoral and stupid.  And whether this is 'accurate' or not is just too big a gamble for us all to take.  

15 hours ago, Fred white said:

Yeah I just saw on TV she's going to sail across the Atlantic of course she's going to have an enteroge of boats supporting and filming her so it's just a puplicity stunt

Have you ever sailed any distance in a light weight sailboat?belive me that will be no picnic she will have the crap rung out of her but she will be the better for it you go girl I’m behind you 100% we need to move towards renewables in a responsible way but make no mistake move we must and we need a administration to lead the way

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Have you ever sailed any distance in a light weight sailboat?belive me that will be no picnic she will have the crap rung out of her but she will be the better for it you go girl I’m behind you 100% we need to move towards renewables in a responsible way but make no mistake move we must and we need a administration to lead the way

Her sailing long distance is a large accomplishment remember the 16 year old girl several years ago that was going to sail solo people were having fits about it she needed to be taken from her parents because they were bad. That's right she wasn't promoting a libaral agenda

5 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Her sailing long distance is a large accomplishment remember the 16 year old girl several years ago that was going to sail solo people were having fits about it she needed to be taken from her parents because they were bad. That's right she wasn't promoting a libaral agenda

And it had nothing at all to do with the fact that her parents were allowing her to sail solo?  Because to your way of thinking apparently, the risk is more or less the same?

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And it had nothing at all to do with the fact that her parents were allowing her to sail solo?  Because to your way of thinking apparently, the risk is more or less the same?

Yes the risk is the same I think with the 16 year old her father was in another sail boat beside her but there was one before her that was 100 % solo I don't think she completed her trip. 

I agree with her on this subject: 

"New York State Attorney General Letitia James speaks at a news conference to announce the filing of a federal lawsuit in partnership with at least 10 U.S. state attorneys general to stop a proposed $26 billion merger of mobile carriers Sprint and T-Mobile in New York, U.S., June 11, 2019. REUTERS/Mike Segar"

I had dealings with cell phone companies in the past, in an official Federal Government enforcement capacity.   They have all anti-consumer issues.  Some less and some more than others. 

Not so much with the alleged save the Earth lawsuit.  

On 8/14/2019 at 8:08 AM, blazes said:

You are the most misinformed and totally wrong member I've come across on Thai Visa. You clearly deny that we are poisoning this planet. Much like that idiot Trump, you think you know better than hundreds of scientists. In reality none of us need those scientists to know that something's wrong - do you not have a thermometer?

On 8/14/2019 at 5:54 PM, Benmart said:

I suppose time will tell whose version is more accurate.

Yes. And the only thing that hangs in the balance is the survival of the human race. So lets do nothing, or gamble that the scientist are wrong and move in the opposite direction, and just wait and see. Good call going all-in on that bet...

Archived