Overstaying by a few hours

Hey everyone,

I'm leaving to Thailand from Canada on January 12th, returning flight on February 12th - I will be landing in Thailand on January 13th, and I totally forgot that January has 31 days, instead of 30.

So I will be overstaying my trip by a few hours, and I'm a bit concerned. 

My question is: Will I get it trouble for overstaying by a few hours?  

The rule is that I'm allowed to stay for 30 days in Thailand, but if you count from the day that I land, until the day that I leave (Jan 13th until Feb 12th at 3:25 AM) that's 31 days - even though it's only by 3 hours. 

Realistically, I will have to be at the airport on Feb 11th before midnight anyways to check in for returning flight.

I could try and apply for a Visa, but I don't know if that's necessary for the amount of hours I'm overstaying by and just wanted to get an opinion on this! 

Please let me know,

Thanks!

Edited by Lamara
Spelling mistake
  • Confused 1

If an early check in and passing through Immigration is possible, then the problem totally diappears. If just a few hours will not be a problem anyway. There will be no fine for that. There is actually not any fine for one day late.

Edited by Matzzon

Suggest that for the visa fee you can save it is more than worthwhile to get through immigration on 11th before midnight. Will get you a nice snack and some beers instead and you're not wasting time. After all, what would you do between 11pm and 2am instead? 

• Like 1

Picctrainop

Why did you even present the kids UK passports ? ie: Just leave on the Thai passports ?

I am told that there is no fine for less than a 24 hour overstay but be aware that after that

they take it from the flights departure time (not exiting Immigration.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Easiest of course if your flights at say 2am you can go through Imm' at 10pm and relax with a beer whatever pre-flight.

As per post 9 and many other reports, going through immigration before midnight makes no difference and it's the departure date of your flight which counts.  They'll presumably get that from the flight number on your TM6 departure card or your boarding pass.

45 minutes ago, treetops said:

As per post 9 and many other reports, going through immigration before midnight makes no difference and it's the departure date of your flight which counts.  They'll presumably get that from the flight number on your TM6 departure card or your boarding pass.

They have never asked me for flight details and if you have 'lost' your TM6 you just fill out a new one for them.

Their only interest is in the dates in your passport.

14 minutes ago, treetops said:

Not what has been reported on numerous occasions.  The "Admitted Until" date stamp and the flight number (even on your "new" TM6) tells them all they need to know.  Your boarding pass backs up the TM6.

Experience is better than reports.

OP's decision. If he's worried spring for the 1900 baht extension.

His TM6 will still have the original dates so that won't apply in any way. It only has the flight number you arrived on anyway. And as I've said if 'lost' you fill out a new one.

Edited by overherebc

11 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If an early check in and passing through Immigration is possible, then the problem totally diappears. If just a few hours will not be a problem anyway. There will be no fine for that. There is actually not any fine for one day late.

or up to 5 days late....

• Confused 3

From main bangkok airport I never had issue and had this happen 3 times, last time they more fussy and supervisor got called but he just gave me shirty remark on overstay and be thankful to officer at desk for requesting it be overlooked.

Just had hand written note next exist stamp stating 1 day overstay, was in reality 6hrs .

Few years back I not give it econd thought, these days I would not worry too much but is potential for ballache as they getting more fussy ...

11 hours ago, Lamara said:

Jan 13th until Feb 12th at 3:2 5 AM

From your posting, it would appear you will be leaving Pearson on China Eastern.  Have used them many times.  Suggest you call their office in Bangkok at the airport if possible (the staff at the downtown office are useless and all they want to do is play with their phones because they get no customers there) and find out the time their check-in will open then get to Suvarnabumi Airport as early as possible to get to front of line.  The check-in counter is often re-located so also suggest you look at the large indicator board just as you enter the departure/check-in area.  That will give location of the check-in counter.  If you are handicapped, go to the First/Business Class check-in counter and ask for priority boarding procedure due to handicap.  This I do because I am handicapped and it is faster than going through Economy Class check-in.

'nuf sed

Edited by wotsdermatter

12 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

From your posting, it would appear you will be leaving Pearson on China Eastern.  Have used them many times.  Suggest you call their office in Bangkok at the airport if possible (the staff at the downtown office are useless and all they want to do is play with their phones because they get no customers there) and find out the time their check-in will open then get to Suvarnabumi Airport as early as possible to get to front of line.  The check-in counter is often re-located so also suggest you look at the large indicator board just as you enter the departure/check-in area.  That will give location of the check-in counter.  If you are handicapped, go to the First/Business Class check-in counter and ask for priority boarding procedure due to handicap.  This I do because I am handicapped and it is faster than going through Economy Class check-in.

'nuf sed

I will be leaving from Phuket, not Bangkok (should've mentioned it in the beginning)

1 hour ago, Lamara said:

I will be leaving from Phuket, not Bangkok (should've mentioned it in the beginning)

You will be fined 500 baht for 1 day of overstay there. Just allow a few extra minutes to pay the fine,

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

If you are really nervous or concerned about it then in the last week of your stay you could get a 30 day extension for 1900 baht.

And, even if a 30-day extension application were denied, the OP's passport would still be stamped for a further 7 days in any event.

Edited by OJAS

15 hours ago, treetops said:

Not what has been reported on numerous occasions.  The "Admitted Until" date stamp and the flight number (even on your "new" TM6) tells them all they need to know.  Your boarding pass backs up the TM6.

I wonder what happens if the flight is delayed - I half expect immigration to board and start collecting 500 baht fines. It all get absurd when the rules are unclear and arbitrary in enforcement.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, timewilltell said:

I wonder what happens if the flight is delayed - I half expect immigration to board and start collecting 500 baht fines. It all get absurd when the rules are unclear and arbitrary in enforcement.

Won't that rather depend on whether you've passed through Immigration and are waiting to board (or even on board)? In that case surely you've met the requirements

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

And, even if a 30-day extension application were denied, the OP's passport would still be stamped for a further 7 days in any event.

Someone posted re' that and it started a discussion that lasted a bit because the poster was asking about the 'denial' being stamped in the passport next to the 7 day extension.

Would that stamp 'denied' cause problems outside Thailand.

Do they stamp 'extension denied?' I honestly don't know.