Overstaying by a few hours

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

OP - What time are you arriving in Thailand? If it's close to midnight then just hang around airside before going through immigration

Otherwise as others have said, try to get through immigration on the way out before midnight.

The time and date of arrival and departure is based on when the aircraft lands or departs, not when you go through Immigration control.

20 minutes ago, overherebc said:
23 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The time and date of arrival and departure is based on when the aircraft lands or departs, not when you go through Immigration control.

Not sure about that one.

Airports in most countries have control rooms from where systems such as computers, cameras, and communications are handled.

At these control centers, flight schedules are pre-imputed into the computers, and when a plane hits the deck, or conversely, leaves blocks, an operator inputs that time against that flight.

That becomes the official arrival (or departure) time (and date) for all passengers on that flight. When a passenger fronts at the Immigration module their passport is scanned which catches all personal information of the passenger and the IO will input the flight number, probably obtained from the arrival card, and the movement details, including arrival T&D, will automatically be generated. 

My only doubts are whether Thailand is using such systems (correctly).

I believe other countries such as Australia, helped set up the computer systems used here so it should be a world standard.

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I was always led to believe its the time you pass through Immigration that counts as that is the time you Actually enter/leave the country.

Particularly as you haven't legally entered or left the country until Immigration has stamped your passport

• Like 1

22 hours ago, treetops said:

As per post 9 and many other reports, going through immigration before midnight makes no difference and it's the departure date of your flight which counts.  They'll presumably get that from the flight number on your TM6 departure card or your boarding pass.

You do not put your departure flight on your TM6 which you fill in as you enter Thailand. So it only says the fight number of your arrival flight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

OP - What time are you arriving in Thailand? If it's close to midnight then just hang around airside before going through immigration

Otherwise as others have said, try to get through immigration on the way out before midnight.

Is 'airside' not AFTER you have been through Immigration?

43 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

You do not put your departure flight on your TM6 which you fill in as you enter Thailand. So it only says the fight number of your arrival flight.

I wonder what past of this swerve is confused by.

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I was always led to believe its the time you pass through Immigration that counts as that is the time you Actually enter/leave the country.

Imm' on the arrival side change the stamp dates at midnight so why would departure be any different ??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Yep. You can change plans. My last arrival was from Japan but I only decided on monday that I'm flying to xxxxx for a few days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Particularly as you haven't legally entered or left the country until Immigration has stamped your passport

Correct.

However, if you eventually leave the transit lounge, even days or weeks later, your arrival time will still be when your flight hit the ground. (If Immigration allows you to enter at all after such strange behavior)

You will almost certainly be interviewed to ascertain when and how and why the delay .

You cant fudge when you arrived in a country by hiding out in transit.  

54 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Correct.

However, if you eventually leave the transit lounge, even days or weeks later, your arrival time will still be when your flight hit the ground. (If Immigration allows you to enter at all after such strange behavior)

You will almost certainly be interviewed to ascertain when and how and why the delay .

If your flight arrives at 11.45pm and you wander around arrival duty free and get to the desk at 12.15am  you will be stamped in on that date.

Arrive at the Imm' booth 11.55pm they will be happy to stamp you in on that date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Correct.

I don't think 15/20/30 minutes from when your plane touches down would be considered.

Let's say you land at 11.30pm on the 10th and your plane for some reason gets stuck on the apron for 20/30 minutes and then as happens in swampy you walk the 800 metres to Imm' so you get in the Q and reach the booth at 12.45am, or later, on the 11th.

You will be stamped in on the 11th.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 9:55 AM, wgdanson said:

TM6 has two parts and one of these is for departing Thailand. That is what is being discussed here. This departure side has your departing flight number on it and if this is in the early hours of the morning, even if you pass through immigration before midnight, the actual day of your departure is what determines overstay or not.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, overherebc said:

30 years of luck then for me.

You realise claiming you've been doing this for 30 years is as believable as your previous post that filling in a new departure card would change or obfuscate your departing flight details?

8 hours ago, treetops said:

You realise claiming you've been doing this for 30 years is as believable as your previous post that filling in a new departure card would change or obfuscate your departing flight details?

Thirty years of luck meaning I've only lost one TM6 and had to fill in one new one at the Imm' desk.

Can you post a photo of where on the 'departure' part of the TM6 your flight number is noted especially if you leave via a land border?

Edited by overherebc

9 hours ago, treetops said:

TM6 has two parts and one of these is for departing Thailand. That is what is being discussed here. This departure side has your departing flight number on it and if this is in the early hours of the morning, even if you pass through immigration before midnight, the actual day of your departure is what determines overstay or not.

Ah, on my TM6 I always put the flight I arrive on onto the Departure side of the card, the bit I keep in my Passport. I can see that what you say makes more sense, but I have never been questioned when leaving Thailand.

Edited by wgdanson

10 hours ago, treetops said:

Wrong. You don't put your departing flight number on your TM6 departing section.

The IO stamps the date on it as you leave the Imm' booth.

Edited by overherebc

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is actually what happened to me, a flight not many minutes beyond midnight gave them the taken opportunity to exact 500 baht. (Some many years ago though).

Many years ago things were different.

Pre' Swampy a friend was leaving from DMK and had lost his TM6. He was taken to a large storage area where a box was produced containing all the inbound half sections of the TM's, boxes dated for each day, and had to search for his own.

Back to the Imm' exit area and stamped out. Luckily he had spare time pre-flight and caught his plane ok.

Not sure when they stopped doing that but probably when the computer system started recording all the in-out details etc.

Remember the days when IO's used to check all the stamps and manualy add up all your days in Thailand per year?

Edited by overherebc

12 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:
On 8/15/2019 at 1:07 PM, Old Croc said:

It depends on time and date going through Immigration not on flight arrival.

'nuf sed.

Many countries no longer issue departure stamps and some don't even stamp passports on arrival for their own citizens, unless requested - Australia is one.

Stamps in passports are being phased out, travel time and date is determined by official flight times, and is recorded on those new fangled computer things.

It doesn't matter when someone decides to wander through Immigration control.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Many countries no longer issue departure stamps and some don't even stamp passports on arrival for their own citizens, unless requested - Australia is one.

Stamps in passports are being phased out, travel time and date is determined by official flight times, and is recorded on those new fangled computer things.

Yes but only for Citizens/Legal residents where length of stay is irrelevant. 

Australia, UK, Singapore etc.... will stamp your passport if you're a "Visitor" & no matter what Visa we have, we're all (Citizens & PRs aside) considered "Temporary Visitors" in Thailand

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 8/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, wgdanson said:

Is 'airside' not AFTER you have been through Immigration?

On 8/15/2019 at 4:10 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Airside is before you get to Imm on arrival & after on departure

Funny enough its the side where the planes are ???? 

On 8/15/2019 at 4:37 PM, wgdanson said:

That's what I said.

37 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

No It's not because I was talking about arrival so Airside is BEFORE you get to immigration 

Does that clear up your confusion???

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

How can the computer decide what my departure flight is if I fly back to UK on a oneway ticket?????

And if I fly back to Thailand on the return half of a ticket how do I put a non existing flight number on my TM6?

Edited by overherebc

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

How can the computer decide what my departure flight is if I fly back to UK on a oneway ticket?????

What!!!!

Computers don't decide anything,  Ai is still a way off!  You are processed out by an actual person who inputs your flight details into the computer system. This he would get from the boarding pass, ticket, departure card, or whatever.  The flight time and date details are already in the computer. The stamp in a passport is an unnecessary part of the processing and only ever looked at again by the holder.