RE Himalayan 555

canthai55

I've seen worse on the interweb with 17k GBP (over 20k$) BMW GS1200 models.

Swing arms snapping, front forks collapsing, fork stanchions cracking, wheels disintigrating, frames breaking.

I don't like to see people having a go at my beloved Himalayans - great bike.

Actually want one.

Itchy Boots YT channel, currently on around 35k kms, half way round the world, pretty much nothing happened to it except self inflicted change of clutch plates.

Here's one that Fuel built for desert racing.

Did'nt win but it finished over 2k kms of sand racing.

Royal-Enfield-Himalayan-bike-build-by-Fuel-561x374.jpg.b14ab841b640a9b2c9df9af9a1c8b495.jpgRoyal-Enfield-Himalayan-bike-build-by-Fuel-3-768x512.jpg.5a66071a9129902eb14c6004400d606d.jpgroyal-enfield-himalayan-fuel-1-625x625.jpg.02ab885b9bbdcec160ecbd982a9a6518.jpgRoyal-Enfield-Himalayan-bike-build-by-Fuel-10-768x512.jpg.50303b388a08415523d42beb23efb543.jpg

Edit, re the OP pic - nice chopper...

Man I had a go on one of these they are not that nice to ride at all,really underpowered  loads of vibrations, didn’t actually know what they really were when I had a go on one,,,posted it on here about a year ago..

dont know what we gonna do with you Thaiguzzi...????????????

28 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Man I had a go on one of these they are not that nice to ride at all,really underpowered  loads of vibrations, didn’t actually know what they really were when I had a go on one,,,posted it on here about a year ago..

dont know what we gonna do with you Thaiguzzi...????????????

Same bhp as your CRF. But at only 6500 rpm

50% more torque. At only 4000 rpm.

CRF is into 5 figures rpm?

Apples & Oranges.

7 hours ago, pbas400 said:

i think a Honda 250 CRFL or Rally is a better choice for traveling

i did 40.000 kilometers during 18 months in TH.... 0 problem on RALLY 250....still on the road ????

Completely disagree.

A little 250 revving its tits off at 100 kph all day long would do my head in.

Then we get to gusts of wind and being blown all over the place. Scary on a highway.

Also - who checked your bucket & shim valve clearances? Oh the dealer, ok.

Himalayan - adjuster & locknut on the side of the road - half an hour - job done.

Oh look - put a stone thru the rad - have to call a truck for assistance.

Himalayan - air cooled.

Nah.

These 250's are great as trail bikes.

Sure several people have been round the world on them , but not my kind of sadism.

Each to their own .

You like revvy bhp, i like low down grunt.

Apples & oranges..........

royal-enfield-himalayan-accessorized.jpg.8a79fca232fa5cf8fdf71641310b5a1c.jpg

7 hours ago, pbas400 said:

Plenty of reports of cracked frames on BMW's and broken rear subframes on CRF 250's.

No bike is without faults - and Google can find 'em all.

I've toured on my CRF with no issues, except for the tiny fuel tank and horrible two-up comfort - and would consider a Himalayan for the better range, better luggage capacity and better pillion comfort - if it had ABS in Thailand.

But of course CRF and Rally also had ABS deleted for Thailand.

I still don't think we have the ideal smaller adventure bike yet?

Kawasaki 300X is nice, but costs same as the CB500X and revs like a 2 stroke, BMW 310 costs more!  

Study the picture.

The break is the perfect distance from the weld filet to indicate an improper weld.

And check out how thin the metal is in the frame backbone.

To me this indicates either a poor design or poor manufacture.

I bet the originals never had this problem - only the 'New and Improved' version.

Caveat Emptor

9 hours ago, pbas400 said:

10 hours ago, pbas400 said:

Do your research first please.

These were the first carb models called BS3.

Your quotes are BS3 models from 2016-17.

Had a lot of problems and issues. inc footrest snapping off whilst an American  journo was riding it standing on the pegs- caught on camera.

All were Indian market models, before it was released worldwide.

What did Enfield do?

Shut the production line down for 7 (SEVEN) months, rectified all faults, and brought out EFI, calling the model BS4.

No such problems reported in Europe or America where it has outsold above all expectations.

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Study the picture.

The break is the perfect distance from the weld filet to indicate an improper weld.

And check out how thin the metal is in the frame backbone.

To me this indicates either a poor design or poor manufacture.

I bet the originals never had this problem - only the 'New and Improved' version.

Caveat Emptor

Well, i have to eat Humble Pie.

This is the top Enfield mechanic/independent workshop in Lak in the Himalayas.

Admittedly all rental bikes - however 10-12 frame breakages - all the same place on the newer BS4 models with efi...

Looks like the box section is too thin, but there is also, more importantly, no gusset there joining the headstock to the rectangular tube...

The work shop in Lak now specializing in beefing up and repairing. 555 I hope the factory is paying attention which I am sure there are. I still really like this bike and if I had the cash would still buy on and do the appropriate gusseting. And thanks for you honesty in posting this TG

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Do your research first please.

These were the first carb models called BS3.

Your quotes are BS3 models from 2016-17.

Had a lot of problems and issues. inc footrest snapping off whilst an American  journo was riding it standing on the pegs- caught on camera.

All were Indian market models, before it was released worldwide.

What did Enfield do?

Shut the production line down for 7 (SEVEN) months, rectified all faults, and brought out EFI, calling the model BS4.

No such problems reported in Europe or America where it has outsold above all expectations.

When something like this happens, the chances that they did a complete 180 turn on all QA and realiability design in those 7 months is eceedingly small. They can fix maybe the majority of issues but if you fsck up so hard while not being exactly new to the industry, then that means they have serious issues when it comes to their processes.

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

When something like this happens, the chances that they did a complete 180 turn on all QA and realiability design in those 7 months is eceedingly small. They can fix maybe the majority of issues but if you fsck up so hard while not being exactly new to the industry, then that means they have serious issues when it comes to their processes.

Hey, carry on hatin'.

Carry on lovin' everything from the Land of The Rising Sun.

I delved deeper into the frame breakage issue at the headstock.

Not one breakage in North & South America, UK & Europe, Australia & New Zealand.

All breakages are Indian models for the home market.
To keep up with domestic demand (50,000 units sold pa), some frames, not all, have been outsourced to a firm in China....

And imported into India.

They are now talking about either x raying every imported frame or changing suppliers.

But hey, those KTM's and BM's never f##K up hey?

20 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Hey, carry on hatin'.

Carry on lovin' everything from the Land of The Rising Sun.

I delved deeper into the frame breakage issue at the headstock.

Not one breakage in North & South America, UK & Europe, Australia & New Zealand.

All breakages are Indian models for the home market.
To keep up with domestic demand (50,000 units sold pa), some frames, not all, have been outsourced to a firm in China....

And imported into India.

They are now talking about either x raying every imported frame or changing suppliers.

But hey, those KTM's and BM's never f##K up hey?

Chill out ????

I'm not hating. Maybe I was a bit too harsh though. You did some good research on these RE and it all sounds plausible. I am far from praising KTMs and especially BMWs for their reliability. BMW fsck'd up royally with their S1000RR launch this year. A friends GS literally exploded while riding down a highway near Nong Khai. No manufacturer is perfect. I think overall manufacturers should spend more money on QA, especially when it comes to safety hazards like broken frames. RE should have known better to check the quality of the chinese suppliers goods.

I have no axe to grind.

Posted as a 'Cautionary Tale'

Altho I must say that the bike has zero appeal to me.

To each his own.

That being said, that frame looks very thin - CCM bicycles are thicker.

An as was said above, no gusset, no bracing, on what is the most stressed part of the front of a bike frame.

As many found out in my youth ... making 'choppers'

On 8/16/2019 at 7:45 AM, canthai55 said:

I have no axe to grind.

Posted as a 'Cautionary Tale'

Altho I must say that the bike has zero appeal to me.

To each his own.

That being said, that frame looks very thin - CCM bicycles are thicker.

An as was said above, no gusset, no bracing, on what is the most stressed part of the front of a bike frame.

As many found out in my youth ... making 'choppers'

I had a look at the frame/headstock on the Himalayan at the Bangkok Motor Sale today - and I'm no expert in frame design, but it looks well reinforced to me ..... ?

2019_0817_13265000.thumb.jpg.209bd7cc04de36741073cb563ce770cf.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I had a look at the frame/headstock on the Himalayan at the Bangkok Motor Sale today - and I'm no expert in frame design, but it looks well reinforced to me ..... ?

The headstock on this RE model looked well gusseted too ....

2019_0817_13334400_20190817165316150.thumb.jpg.1d5abed3bcdebc0f0a80c648cfe22a05.jpg

1 hour ago, pbas400 said:

what is a real adventurer ? only you on the planet ? 

No.

Plenty of people worldwide want to do India, Nepal and the Himalayas as a once in a lifetime motorcycle trip/adventure.

The pinnacle if you like.

Not easy. Hardship. Discover your inner strength. Character building. A proper adventure that is a polar opposite to where they have come from.Etc etc.

Way more than hiring an easy to ride Honda CB500 on easy to ride Viet roads for a week long holiday.

Not the same.

The guy comes across as a a moaning, jealous, ignorant <deleted>.

If he thinks its cool and "adventuristic" showing him sitting on a CB500X with a rear wheel showering out a bit of sand on a normal bit of off road, i'd find it rather embarrassing.

5 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

No.

Plenty of people worldwide want to do India, Nepal and the Himalayas as a once in a lifetime motorcycle trip/adventure.

The pinnacle if you like.

Not easy. Hardship. Discover your inner strength. Character building. A proper adventure that is a polar opposite to where they have come from.Etc etc.

Way more than hiring an easy to ride Honda CB500 on easy to ride Viet roads for a week long holiday.

Not the same.

The guy comes across as a a moaning, jealous, ignorant <deleted>.

If he thinks its cool and "adventuristic" showing him sitting on a CB500X with a rear wheel showering out a bit of sand on a normal bit of off road, i'd find it rather embarrassing.

What's your point TG? The guy has done the Himalaya trip.. You aren't impressed by the CB500X in Vietnam but say nothing about the many pictures from Northern India.

11 hours ago, bobbin said:

What's your point TG? The guy has done the Himalaya trip.. You aren't impressed by the CB500X in Vietnam but say nothing about the many pictures from Northern India.

I'm not impressed with his little digs at India & the Royal Enfields whilst extolling the virtues of Vietnam and his own tour company in the article.

That is my point.

Not exactly a fair and unbiased viewpoint is it?

Even to the point of comparing lush greenery between the two countries.

Vietnam is more green than the Himalayas...

Really? Ya don't say...

As for a stock CB500X still running stock mag wheels - not really off road ready is it?

The guy wants to spend 1k $ on a pair of spoked wheels per m/c to get his street (off road tour) cred up.

He also moans about the RE's constantly breaking.

I'm not seeing any mag wheeled CB500X's doing that trip on those roads.

Strange that.

Innit.

36 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I'm not impressed with his little digs at India & the Royal Enfields whilst extolling the virtues of Vietnam and his own tour company in the article.

That is my point.

Not exactly a fair and unbiased viewpoint is it?

Even to the point of comparing lush greenery between the two countries.

Vietnam is more green than the Himalayas...

Really? Ya don't say...

As for a stock CB500X still running stock mag wheels - not really off road ready is it?

The guy wants to spend 1k $ on a pair of spoked wheels per m/c to get his street (off road tour) cred up.

He also moans about the RE's constantly breaking.

I'm not seeing any mag wheeled CB500X's doing that trip on those roads.

Strange that.

Innit.

After reading the article, and then your reply, I just felt your description of the fellow was unfair..

"The guy comes across as a a moaning, jealous, ignorant <deleted>." This.

That was certainly not my take-away from the article.. Comparisons will always have pros and cons. As for off-road cred, those routes into the Himalayas are not off-road. Bad roads yes, off-road no. He made good points about altitude sickness, the danger of those roads, the skill of the Indian drivers of HGV vs the almost non-existant skills of VN drivers etc. Lack of food, fuel and internet coverage in this area of India etc.

I live in India for several years in the early '70s and put more than a few miles on the Enfield Bullit 350. They were almost modern then! Heavy with poor braking, although not ridiculously so for the times..but better than the Rajdoot 150 two-strokes and Bajaj (Vespa license) available at the time. Now India, like Thailand, has many better choices of motorcycles. A fellow in my condo building bought a Royal Enfield 500 Classic. After one (1) rainy season most of the chrome, and there is a lot of it, was heavily rusted. What? There is no rain in India? I beg to differ. Lack of quality. The result of almost 40 years of a monopoly. No incentive to improve. Now they have to compete and like HD in America, they took the market for granted and are paying the price.

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

Now they have to compete and like HD in America, they took the market for granted and are paying the price.

I found your comparison to HD quite fitting, many similarities. RE (as is HD) is pushing hard into the international markets as their home market is being attacked by several brands. Both HD and RE like you said took their home market for granted for too long and stagnated in terms of development. Classic looks doesn't need to mean classic tech as Triumph shows.

I found the TIGIT article interesting , but a RE , nor a Honda would be my choice " up the hill".  However , it depends on what is available , locally , and at what price. Is a Triumph available/affordable , or a KLX ?.  On to the welding. Im no Loyds welder , but although there is gusseting/bracing , it seems to be only tacked on rather than seam welded , and the weld has only penetrated the thin/ish square main frame and brackets. It hasnt penetrated the thicker round headstock/downtube. It looks like the weld is just "laid" on top , as if the MIG wasnt powerful enough. This is where the weld has failed. It has just come unstuck from the thicker steel. On some of the photos , you cant even see where this weld was - no penetration.

Archived