Points system on driving licenses will reduce accidents in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

No. Enforcing laws will help reduce accidents. Buzzwords and info-boards, etc, achieve nothing other than boosting some useless officials' egos. 

i have said on here, many times THERE ARE NOT enough coppers to enforce any laws/rules of the road....

there are supposed to be only 250,000 for the whole of the country.....so impossible for laws to be enforced.....

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Drunk driving: 3 points OR 20,000 Baht on the spot

Red lights: 2 points      Or 5,000 baht on the spot (Not possible because it will be on camera so it will have to be at the local station)

Helmets and speeding: 1 point each 1000 baht on the spot. 

call me a cynic but this is simply to boost the, ahem, economy.

Get a petition going with 10,000 signatures.....see if it makes any difference. ????

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:
  1 hour ago, colinneil said:

What a load of hog wash....Points system will not improve driving standards 1 iota.

A hell of a lot of drivers here dont even have a license, so points wont change anything.

Drive on regardless..... Thats the motto here.

Exactly, you hit the nail on the head.

3 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

I see many young fellas like age 12-15 drive motorbikes.

Points do not apply for their misdemeanours. They will get school demerits points which will be noted in their school reports. Parents will be required to visit local police station and make merit in the appropriate manner. 

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

But if you are a HiSo or a " do you know who I am " 0 point :1zgarz5:

And as wrote Colinneil, about 40% here don't have a license ( to kill ???? I'm in my James Bond period )

so....

I would like to see policemen and radars and breath control on secondary roads ( red and concrete roads which are so many in Thailand )..

I would like to see policemen controlling licenses and helmets between 7 am and 8 am when children come to school ...and verifiing if passengers and driver have security belts in minibuses ...

But that will never come ...

ts them until - if we do get caught - we realise these laws are only applied very rarely, randomly, and with little real impact on behaviour.

Unless they're interested to put more real traffic police in cars, it's never going to work properly.

Speeding is a problem for me, I will burn through my 12 points within one year. What is the mechanism to get new points? They mention suspension 90 days etc.. but what after? Get again 12 points?
Who will loose the points? The driver or the owner? How an automatic speed camera can determine who was driving?
When you get a automatically generated speeding fine there is already a space for indicating the points lost and balance. But what if my GF was driving??

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What a load of hog wash....Points system will not improve driving standards 1 iota.

A hell of a lot of drivers here dont even have a license, so points wont change anything.

I fully agree with you colinneil….. Can't inflict them with a penalty to make stupid and irrational nonsensical behavior turn a leaf and be smart Thai drivers. But what it might do is cripple the economy a bit more if they actually do take away or suspend licenses having in concideration the people abide and don't drive the vehicle until ok. But that is not going to happen unless jail terms and large fines are handed out for offenders.

I would gather the only way to change things is start teaching the children in Kindergarten for how to think for driving in their future. So it will take another 16 years for that next generation to have a grip on it. And odds are probably not as it seems to be inbred.

"He hopes that once the system comes in in Thailand that the number of accidents on the roads will diminish just like it had in Japan and the western countries."

But there's already been mention of points / deduction system by the Thai police and the LTO  for at least 10 years.

Always confusion - the hub of confusion.

27 minutes ago, essox essox said:

i have said on here, many times THERE ARE NOT enough coppers to enforce any laws/rules of the road....

there are supposed to be only 250,000 for the whole of the country.....so impossible for laws to be enforced.....

Plus only last week a test showed that a large number of traffic police only got a score of 60% correct for their knowledge of traffic laws.

3 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

I fully agree with you colinneil….. Can't inflict them with a penalty to make stupid and irrational nonsensical behavior turn a leaf and be smart Thai drivers. But what it might do is cripple the economy a bit more if they actually do take away or suspend licenses having in concideration the people abide and don't drive the vehicle until ok. But that is not going to happen unless jail terms and large fines are handed out for offenders.

I would gather the only way to change things is start teaching the children in Kindergarten for how to think for driving in their future. So it will take another 16 years for that next generation to have a grip on it. And odds are probably not as it seems to be inbred.

DO YOU REMEMBER Ant from ant and DEC.....crashing into a parked car supposedly pist up.??

He GOT fined 84 thousand english pounds and a 20 month driving ban !!!

and POINTS on his licence.....

Good idea for here would you say???

On a visit upcountry, I was stopped by the police at a temporary check point and was shocked that most other people stopped did not even have a license. Not just motorbike riders, but car drivers too. Its insane. They should have their vehicles impounded until they come back with a valid license. But then the police would have to invest in rather large parking facilities for all the impounded vehicles. 

37 minutes ago, GarryP said:

and was shocked that most other people stopped did not even have a license.

37 minutes ago, GarryP said:

should have their vehicles impounded until they come back with a valid license.

As long as it is not mandatory to attend a driving school (hardly found in Thailand) before applying for a driver license, this point is completely meaningless. I just passed my driving test last week (again, after more than 40 years) and the procedure, as some of you might know, is: you have to come with your own car or rent one. You obviously don´t have a license to do so. Then after failing the test, which more than half of the participants did, you have to drive home...with your vehicle...without a license. Than come back the next day or so and try again. You have to learn it yourself, unfortunately too often the hard way. Until this isn´t changed, all points and fines and licenses will not change anything

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Ekkarak explained that the points system will give each driver 12 points that he called "credit".

No mention on what constitutes a driver so will a dog do ? If so will they be subject to the same points win prizes foolery .. 

IMG_20190814_062708.jpg

34 minutes ago, GarryP said:

On a visit upcountry, I was stopped by the police at a temporary check point and was shocked that most other people stopped did not even have a license. Not just motorbike riders, but car drivers too. Its insane. They should have their vehicles impounded until they come back with a valid license. But then the police would have to invest in rather large parking facilities for all the impounded vehicles. 

Well everything they do here is tongue in cheek...Nothing is taken seriously....

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Umm... I think that's what the jist of the OP is, no?

Did you even read the OP...apparently not just out trolling again...haha..but thanks for reading my rant ...have a good one

They need to have  a license first and a pts system may work.once the pts are gone back to no license so no change.do you really think Thais will listen,i know many  who don,t bother  and say I must get one.then go home on the bike and think nothing of it until next time

They won't get a western-like reduction in traffic accidents with those rules. Getting caught drunk 3 times with no real penalty? 

Try this: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/demerits-offences/drug-alcohol/drug-alcohol-offences.html

There would be a lot less drunks on the road...but still it needs enforcement. That is the problem. And more rigorous driver testing.

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Drunk driving: 3 points...……………………..OK, can do 4 times

Red lights: 2 points...…………………...……..Can do 6 times

Helmets and speeding: 1 point each.......Can do 12 times

That will teach them!

Then they will continue without a license; whats new?

Archived