Points system on driving licenses will reduce accidents in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Fred white said:

All the check points I've been through they just looked at my tax sticker and seatbelt I have never been asked for a license,may change tomorrow

I did a search on a student who I went to school with. All I could find were court proceedings. He was appealing for a lighter sentence after having been caught no less than 10 times unlicenced driving. Yes, they certainly do go to jail; unlicenced driving is a very serious offence in many countries. Not here, though. 

1.     Points system on driving licenses WILL reduce accidents in Thailand

2.    He HOPES that once the system comes in in Thailand that the number of accidents on the roads will diminish.

Third option, he knows that it will make no difference. You can't put points on a licence that does not exist

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

Truly enforce laws ,and stop putting on a big show by harassing drivers at check points..Stop focusing on Drama,appearance and optics and start thinking about sustainable results...

the entire society is largely based upon image and drama rather than substance.

The idea is not bad - and not new. I remember quite some years ago they already had such a penalty point system and affixed little stickers onto your license. Need I tell more? 

The idea died faster than the sun would set ....... 

Why the hell adopting all the rubbish from the western world ? People seem to be happy as it is and so am I. Easier to fleece people instead of improving school and welfare system. Here they should copy Japan and soms western countries.

I already have 3 red light fines from the same intersection that switches to yellow light and then red light within 1 second and no way to avoid... Automatic camera system.  I guess I will get 12 points within a couple of years.. great and will have to retake the license test...

Some of you will question and say im at fault. Let me explain. This intersection I drive around 100 times each month. And roughly every 2 months or so it switches to yellow just before I'm going through it. On the ticket there are 2 photos. First photo shows yellow and my car just before entering. Second photo shows red and my car being in the middle of the intersection.

It's impossible to avoid because there not enough time to stop when it switches from Green to yellow when you are 1 meter from the stop line and doing 50kmh.

Theres not enough time to go through the intersection before it switches to red because it's a huge intersection and the yellow light is only 1 second long or so.

meanwhile somchai will continue driving without license and insurance.  

I am sure someone already said it, need to have license in the first place????

The only way way to reduce deaths on the road is to start enforcing law with serious consequences and provide proper training . I would estimate vast majority would not know what road rules were . 

5 hours ago, kevin612 said:

I see many young fellas like age 12-15 drive motorbikes.

They are mature kids, I regularly see junior school kids boys and girls riding motorbikes with even younger siblings on the back

A few days I saw one of the above causing the front wheel to lift of the ground.

The police are a problem, but a far bigger problem is that the society is corrupt. 

What many people don't know is that countries where people are mostly lawful don't rely on police enforcement. 

They rely on most people following the law on their own, because they believe thr police, law makers and laws are just. 

In Thailand, most Thais don't trust other Thais. They don't trust the police. They don't trust the law makers. They don't trust the laws. 

They know the soul of the country, so laws have no effect. It's a lawless place. 

2 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

Mind you I'm reay pissed at seeing drivers on the wrong side of the road and police do sweet FA about it!

Seriously, how far do they go on the wrong way?  I do it regularay, about 50 meters.

How can you put points on driving licences when most people in thailand don't have one, need to teach people how to drive properly in the 1st place and toughen up the driving test, and when the police stop people on bikes with no helmet don't just fine them, take the keys off them and tell them they can't ride away on the bike unless they go and buy a helmet, that might help with the amount of road deaths . 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Drunk driving: 3 points

So you can be drink/drive 4 times before you're off the road... Its a watered down joke system...
I hate quoting countries but:

My country of birth has a points system...
minor offences ie minimal speeding, traffic light infringement, broken lights, bald tyres etc etc = 3 points
major offences gets you 5 points + on a rising scale according to the offence committed.
Drink driving is an automatic one year ban... heavy fine and possible jail time.

All points stay on your license for 3 years from the date of issue.
12 points you are off the road for one year!!!

That's how it should be done.

Archived