Points system on driving licenses will reduce accidents in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australia also has point system

any way wont work here un till you have age appropriate drivers too 

meaning little Mary or Bob reach appropriate driving age unsure what age is here 

however I don't think the kids I see riding off to Primary school each day really should be riding motor bikes to and from school.

How can you take points away from someone or fine them when they don't ever have a license to drive  

Every vehicle has a license plate! Why don't they start with the identification of the registered owner of every license plate and control them ? They could make out many drivers with no driving license?! Would reduce accidents a lot. Just saying. 

Control all streets in an area with a system. All roads that leave the area of a village or a city unexpectedly at the same time? Al roads that enter a village or a city unexpectedly at the same time? 

No driving license car or vehicle to confiscate.

There are so many ways to do it. That would change a lot. 

22 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Drunk driving: 3 points...……………………..OK, can do 4 times

Red lights: 2 points...…………………...……..Can do 6 times

Helmets and speeding: 1 point each.......Can do 12 times

That will teach them!

Lose licence no problem! Don't have one ????

23 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

But if you are a HiSo or a " do you know who I am "  0 point :1zgarz5:

And as wrote Colinneil, about 40% here don't have a license ( to kill ???? I'm in my James Bond period )

so....

I would like to see policemen and radars and breath control on secondary roads ( red and concrete roads which are so many in Thailand )..

I would like to see policemen controlling licenses and helmets between 7 am and 8 am when children come to school ...and verifiing if passengers and driver  have security belts in minibuses ...

But that will never come ...

YOUR right it will never come/happen

The points system will not work in Thailand.

firstly it has to be universally and equitably enforced.

for this to happen you need to retrain ALL police involved and put in place a our fines legal and court system that is fast and efficient.

There also needs to be no loopholes.

For laws to be enforced, apart from retrying the police they need to be equipped with independently calibrated equipment, all roads must be clearly signed and delineated and in many cases reconstructed. 

Obstacles and signs need to be removed from all roadsides, and the public need to be educated as to the new regime

Penalties ned to be relevant to the infringements, which it looks like they are not - of course most Thai people simply don't have th means to pay fines at EU levels but just the process of being fined regardless of amount is usually enough to drive the point home.

All this will only work as part of a major (and costly) holistic approach to road safety in Thailand. The problem now is that the country has et the situation slides far behind that the cost of updating and upgrading the transport system is something that most authorities would rathe not face so instant resort to platitudes and nape-of-the-neck responses. - The chances of all this happening are virtually zero.

This recent conference shows clearly how ignorant and un-informed the authorities currently are on road safety and does not bode well for the future in the Kingdom, and the exorbitant costs to the nation long term.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Is there any data that proves points on a license reduces RTA's? or Deaths 

Thailand's date on rod safety is nothing short of appalling in all aspects to the point where it is impossible to make a well-informed policy about any aspect of the topic.

18 hours ago, dallen52 said:

(There are two kinds of offences. The first kind are minor ones that would merit fines but no points. However, if fines are not paid within a stipulated period then both a fine and points will be levied.

In the second group are more serious offences such as speeding, going the wrong way on the highway, passing through red lights, DUI, using phones while driving and not wearing helmets on motorcycles. 

Drunk driving: 3 points

Red lights: 2 points

Helmets and speeding: 1 point each

Repeat offenders face a three year ban and having to retake their driving test.

Police will post fines to people and then they have 15 days to pay up.

If they don't then the Department of Land Transport will be contacted so that fines can be paid at the DLT when tax renewal time comes. 

If offenders don't have enough money to pay they can still renew their tax but will get a 30 day final notice on the fine after which no tax disc can be issued.)

It begs believe really. 

Its baby stuff.

Lets be honest about it!!!

More than 6 million unpaid fines reported in the first half of the year. 

Taking a license test will be a novel experience for some.

One recent road blitz revealed 40% of drivers were unlicensed. 

28% DUI. Be it hooch or drugs. 

Hardly anyone lives at the recorded address so what's the point of mailing the infringements out?

There's many models around the world that can be considered. 

Drunk driving = take the license and take the vehicle. 

But please don't make it 500 baht and 3 wais.

FB_IMG_1526735621647.jpg

One of the Scandinavian countries (Sweden I think)  has an automatic jailing for DUI  -  booze or drugs.  No fines, no points.  just a month or so in the slammer!!

5 minutes ago, masuk said:

One of the Scandinavian countries (Sweden I think)  has an automatic jailing for DUI  -  booze or drugs.  No fines, no points.  just a month or so in the slammer!!

s Thailand doesn't even have the jail system or legal system of Sweden, they would have to set that up, which would involve major constitutional changes.

Taking and copying little bits from here and there just won't work.

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The points won't be connected to the car,but to the driver and the drivers license.

What about the fines for offenses such as speeding and changing lanes caught on camera  that are sent by mail to the registered owner of the vehicle. Will those, particularly if left unpaid, not be applied as demerits to the licence of the owner, if he has one?  Or will camera generated fines stay as fines only without demerits? They don't automatically have the owner's driving licence details but they are issued by the same offices that issue vehicle registration.  Also, the fine notices you get by mail ask you to advise them, if someone else was driving the car, who should be held responsible for the violation.

Apart from companies owning cars, it is also perfectly legal for a person without a driving licence, and who never drives, to own a car, for example someone who has a driver or buys a car for family members to drive.    

2 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

What about the fines for offenses such as speeding and changing lanes caught on camera  that are sent by mail to the registered owner of the vehicle. Will those, particularly if left unpaid, not be applied as demerits to the licence of the owner, if he has one?  Or will camera generated fines stay as fines only without demerits? They don't automatically have the owner's driving licence details but they are issued by the same offices that issue vehicle registration.  Also, the fine notices you get by mail ask you to advise them, if someone else was driving the car, who should be held responsible for the violation.

Apart from companies owning cars, it is also perfectly legal for a person without a driving licence, and who never drives, to own a car, for example someone who has a driver or buys a car for family members to drive.    

If you borrow my car and get caught for speeding, should that effect me? I don't think so. In some countries in Europe traffic cams takes photos of the drivers face and the plate,but they still can't fine the owner of the car,and that's the way it should be. Let's say you rent a car and run a red light, do you think it should effect the rental company?

17 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

**** The top policeman responsible for introducing the new driving licence points system has said that the new measures will be up and running in December **** 

Any particular December in mind Maj-Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat ??? 

I think Police will have a problem with the new point system since a lot do not have a license  ????

The proposed points system is a joke. The proposed penalty for DUI will not discourage anyone. I come from the State of Pennsylvania, in the USA. In Pennsylvania, a DUI with a blood alcohol level of .08 to .099% gets you a $300 fine and up to 6 months probation. The second offence fine varies between $300 t0 $2,500, 5 days to 6 months in jail and a 12 month license suspension. For the third or more offence the fine varies between $500 t0 $5,000, 10 days to 2 years in prison and a 12 month license suspension.

The penalties are even harsher if the blood alcohol level is .10 of higher. 

https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Information-Centers/Laws-Regulations/Pages/DUI-Legislation.aspx

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

If you borrow my car and get caught for speeding, should that effect me? I don't think so. In some countries in Europe traffic cams takes photos of the drivers face and the plate,but they still can't fine the owner of the car,and that's the way it should be. Let's say you rent a car and run a red light, do you think it should effect the rental company?

There was a case in Atlanta where they gave a ticket to someone for running a red light this was based on a camera he had to take time to go to court to prove it wasn't him the picture didn't show a good picture of the plate so they just guessed it was his but it wasn't even the same kind of car

14 minutes ago, Fred white said:

But if it's done by red light or speed cameras the only information they will have is the car registration

Yes, but this is a 12 point system affecting the actual driver and his license. The reason is to hopefully decrease accidents.

On 8/14/2019 at 4:58 AM, GarryP said:

On a visit upcountry, I was stopped by the police at a temporary check point and was shocked that most other people stopped did not even have a license. Not just motorbike riders, but car drivers too. Its insane.

Having a license is just a way for the authorities to sort out people who are color blind. Nothing to do with driving ability.

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Most cameras now take a photo of the driver, but of course Thai cars have a heavy tined glass.

In UK the  owner is obliged by law to say who was driving....the fines for not declaring this are even higher than the original motoring offence.

most fleet owners use log books or similar to say who is driving.

I'd suggest that it is pretty clear that Thailand has nothing approaching the infrastructure, legal system or personel trained to administer any of this.

Archived