Points system on driving licenses will reduce accidents in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you borrow my car and get caught for speeding, should that effect me? I don't think so. In some countries in Europe traffic cams takes photos of the drivers face and the plate,but they still can't fine the owner of the car,and that's the way it should be. Let's say you rent a car and run a red light, do you think it should effect the rental company?

The company is legally obliged to say who they allowed to drive the vehicle....if not it would be stolen.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Most cameras now take a photo of the driver, but of course Thai cars have a heavy tined glass.

In UK the  owner is obliged by law to say who was driving....the fines for not declaring this are even higher than the original motoring offence.

most fleet owners use log books or similar to say who is driving.

I'd suggest that it is pretty clear that Thailand has nothing approaching the infrastructure, legal system or personel trained to administer any of this.

I agree, it will be difficult to enforce it, and don't forget that maybe 30-40% of the drivers don't have a license in the first place.

16 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Since my missus drives cars registered in my name and gets regular speeding fines which she refuses to pay, I might have to transfer the cars to the company.

No need to transfer anything. Don't give her the keys to the car anymore. Give her a monthly supply of money to cover her bus fares for her transportation.

7 hours ago, rossco1 said:

Australia also has point system

any way wont work here un till you have age appropriate drivers too 

meaning little Mary or Bob reach appropriate driving age unsure what age is here 

however I don't think the kids I see riding off to Primary school each day really should be riding motor bikes to and from school.

How can you take points away from someone or fine them when they don't ever have a license to drive  

They should fine the parents.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:44 PM, rkidlad said:

No. Enforcing laws will help reduce accidents. Buzzwords and info-boards, etc, achieve nothing other than boosting some useless officials' egos. 

Yup, they have no freeking idea of what to do! Seemingly always looking for the easy way out.

Until some "authorities" or elitists or powerful/rich people or the families lose lives nothing will change. But challenge those people's self entitlements and it will bring about another "coup". Seems that killing/maiming ordinary citizen, on the roads, is acceptable!?

Pathetic! ????

On 8/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, Mickc said:

Yeah, and that's exactly how it will be viewed. Not only that, sooooo many dont even have a licence to begin with... it's only a small fine and then they move on. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

Nothing will happen its already forgot about until next annual transport policy meeting

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, PatOngo said:

Drunk driving: 3 points...……………………..OK, can do 4 times

Red lights: 2 points...…………………...……..Can do 6 times

Helmets and speeding: 1 point each.......Can do 12 times

That will teach them!

But only 1 month ban if you lose all of your points up then get a clean licence WoW not in uk 1 year ban !

1 minute ago, essox essox said:

these people are in cloud cuckoo land...

it shows how the processes for "selection" in Thailand are at fault and people end up in high positions who simply are not up to doing the job. 

The depth of ignorance displayed at the conference by senior officials is breathtaking.

There are road safety orgs operating in Thailand but by and large they are ignored presumably because those in authority just don't understand.

6 minutes ago, drummer boy said:

But only 1 month ban if you lose all of your points up then get a clean licence WoW not in uk 1 year ban !

Road fines etc were not suddenly all introduced in ten the UK at the rates they are now - it has been a process of decades to get to where they are now.

One thing is the number of offences has gradually reduced making the serious ones all the more serious.....for instance the correct sequence of speeding at over 100 mph could in theory attract a £10,000 fine as well as a ban. But the original fines were much smaller even in relation to income. A sudden introduction in Thailand would just result in chaos and lack of enforcement.

4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Road fines etc were not suddenly all introduced in ten the UK at the rates they are now - it has been a process of decades to get to where they are now.

One thing is the number of offences has gradually reduced making the serious ones all the more serious.....for instance the correct sequence of speeding at over 100 mph could in theory attract a £10,000 fine as well as a ban. But the original fines were much smaller even in relation to income. A sudden introduction in Thailand would just result in chaos and lack of enforcement.

Very Good you should work for the government here in thiland will get a free visa Airbagwill 

On 8/14/2019 at 9:38 AM, webfact said:

He was quoted as saying that there are 6 deaths a day (Thaivisa notes that this was probably meant to be 60 in their story). He said the death toll was more than 20,000 people a year that would tally with about 60 per day.

Remember this post november 2015  - 4 years ago and the title :

Thailand aims to lower road fatality rates by 80%

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

Remember this post november 2015  - 4 yeras ago and the title :

Thailand aims to lower road fatality rates by 80%

Teach people to drive and the road rules, and enforce them would be a good start

For the remaining five years ...so 2015 to 2020 and we are in the middle of 2019 and nothing was made .

Waiting for the 17 months remaining ..:crazy:

For the remaining five years, Thailand will seriously and strictly enforce the laws to achieve the 80% target as now that the road fatality issue was placed as a national agenda and law enforcement will be tightened. "

Archived