Ripped off Chinese woman gets her wish as top cops raid Pattaya boiler room

webfact

2 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Looks like zero fcks given in the photo with the BIB walking around and Chinese still plugged into their laptop screens.

Looks to me like the Thai police/officials are checking the computers to see what was going on. Other opinions may vary. The zero fcks come later.

By the way, the headline is, so I don't get blocked for writing something else, a 'misunderstanding' by the OP. This was a scam, selling goods on-line and not delivering. Which is what the post says in the second paragraph once it has your attention.

A boiler room scam, to quote Investopedia, is a place or operation - usually a call center - where high-pressure salespeople call lists of potential investors ("sucker lists") to peddle speculative, sometimes fraudulent, securities.

3 hours ago, Thaifriends said:

How stupid of them to stay at one place. Perhaps they should learn from falangs way of scamming ????

To cheat or con someone it needs a brain.

"To cheat or con someone it needs a brain".  That pretty much means Einstein would be a commoner here in LOS.  

A house in a mooban at the top of Khao Noi seems to have a huge number of Chinese staying there. Coming and going all the time. Not unusual to see more than a dozen motorbikes parked outside, couple of dozen pairs of shoes. Might be innocent, might not.

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The dead giveaway or am I out of touch with rents?  Who the hell pays 95,000 baht a month for a place in Nongprue?  Can I get a picture of the house from the outside!

Nongprue... it's not just Suksabai Villas anymore.

10 hours ago, BestB said:

How and why would police get suspicious of a house located away from the main streets ? Did police watch the house 24/7 to know they did not leave the house?

me thinks someone is not telling the full truth 

How did she know the house location/address?  Maybe the bad guys had links or physical address traces somehow linked to purchases.  Anyway, good riddance

24 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

How did she know the house location/address?  Maybe the bad guys had links or physical address traces somehow linked to purchases.  Anyway, good riddance

Thaivisa just made an over dramatic headline.

There were 12 Chinese staying in this house, they didn't want to go outside (probably sometimes they did or nobody would have known that there are 12 of them). Somebody (not the woman mentioned in the headline, they didn't mention who did) found this suspicious and reported it to police. Police gathered some evidence (no details given what exactly they gathered). Then they got a warrant from the court, raided the house and discovered what the chinese were doing.

While police was there the woman who is mentioned in the headline here, and who was scammed, called.

18 hours ago, BestB said:

How and why would police get suspicious of a house located away from the main streets ?

The neighbors would be very suspicious. 12 Chinese men inside a house and never leave ?  Either we're talking about a gay orgie or a boiler room .  They were idiots for trying this in Thailand in the first place. 

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Perhaps neighbours reported their suspicions.

Perhaps 12 Chinese 'tourists' reported that as their address.

Perhaps TM30s, or lack of them, were useful.

Perhaps the landlord as it appears he already has a year's rent+ deposit.

Easy to arouse suspicions when stories like these are already in the news.

This 15 member call center arrest operation was posted last May . A few response posts complained that it took too long for the police to act on that case. 

It does not seem unlikely that they would target their investigations on a large group of guys who kept a low profile in a highly male oriented entertainment community. Maybe the Chinese should have partied a little harder to throw off the scent.

21 hours ago, BestB said:
On 8/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, Just Weird said:

Perhaps neighbours reported their suspicions.

Perhaps 12 Chinese 'tourists' reported that as their address.

Perhaps TM30s, or lack of them, were useful.

Perhaps then article would have said act

Perhaps the police didn't want to tell the reporter everything or perhaps the reporter didn't ask.

14 hours ago, balo said:

The neighbors would be very suspicious. 12 Chinese men inside a house and never leave ?  Either we're talking about a gay orgie or a boiler room .  They were idiots for trying this in Thailand in the first place. 

Many scammers targeted their own country folks using Thailand as a base because they know the RTP can look the other way if the compensation is big enough and the scammed are not Thai. That is why boiler room scams operate with impunity here. 

23 hours ago, thailand49 said:

The dead giveaway or am I out of touch with rents?  Who the hell pays 95,000 baht a month for a place in Nongprue?  Can I get a picture of the house from the outside!

The high rent could be part of a package deal to the owner to provide certain amenities such as application for fast internet, cable tv, well stocked food supply,... also maybe to keep his mouth shut and look the other way. Maybe even help them with banking facilities. Who knows what else. 

I had a penthouse once when somebody wanted to rent from me at a good price but needed 10 plus telephone lines installed .this was before fast internet in the 2000s. Asked why and the agent whispered”condo is rented for illegal sports betting syndicate” . I declined the offer. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

It must have been a year, they probably paid 1 year in advance. 

Judging by the nice chairs they might have slept with 4 people in a bed, but let's assume they only slept with two in a bedroom, then this means a house with 6 bedrooms, probably not possible for 8k per month.

On 8/14/2019 at 12:54 PM, Joe Mcseismic said:

The electricity meter man probably informed the police of the unusually high electricity usage.

This is how they bust marijuana farms in the UK. All those computers use juice.

LOL... they had laptops, not mainframe computers. They wouldn't even register on an electric bill. Cooking and air conditioning uses the juice. 

Now if they had something like this, then they would be using a lot of "juice"....

sunway-supercomputer.jpg

Archived