Funny thing happened at BKK on Monday

Last Monday I tried to fly to Hong Kong.

Was checked in, passed immigration (where my TM6 card was taken) and passport stamped with "Departed 12th August 2019.

Boarded the plan, taxied out onto the runway, then Captain announced that we can't go due to airport disrupt in Hong Kong.

So back to an outer stand to wait the outcome.

Finally announced that the flight was cancelled and we were bused back to the Terminal..but only access was via a few flights of steep metal steps at the side of an airstair finger.

Once inside we (lots of pax on an A380) we were guided to a special Immigration. Line with 2 IO's working.

Now the strange part is that rather than "re~entering" Thailand, they simply chopped our blue Departed stamp with a RED CANCELLED stamp.

When I asked about a New TM6 card (for 90 day reporting), was told "no need, your flight  canceled"

After over 43yrs working at airports I always thought that once your passport was stamped Departed and you moved Air~side you had "Left" that country??

And to come back in you had to re~enter

Apparently not!

Hope my local Imm.Office will understand this at next 90day report!!

• Like 1

I suspect you probably will have issues, but then again, nothing is certain. By sheer luck when I was planning this weekend away several months ago. I had decided to go to Macau instead of Hong Kong last weekend. Had no issues at all going to or returning from Macau.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atecom said:

I suspect you probably will have issues, but then again, nothing is certain.

will have? Really?

What the poster can not know: has the departure from Thailand been cancelled in the database? If not that would be a mess.

To the OP: do you now HAVE a departure card (old) or had you given it in already?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

will have? Really?

What the poster can not know: has the departure from Thailand been cancelled in the database? If not that would be a mess.

To the OP: do you now HAVE a departure card (old) or had you given it in already?

On going through immigration on "departure" my TM6 departure card was taken. So no card now.

The IO processing we returnees assured me that when I do next 90 day report..."they will know from the computer that this flight was cancelled "

But I guess if I fly out again (to anywhere) I'll have to fill in be new "Departure" section of a new Tm6 and hand that over.

1 hour ago, Scott424 said:

I would go down to your immigration office and get a replacement for the TM6, then you don't have to worry.   There have been reports of others who lost the TM6 and were able to get it replaced without issue at immigration.

Not a big deal - must happen dozens of times a day.

I lost my TM6 departure card once, just asked for a new one at check in and filled it out.  Not an issue

"After over 43yrs working at airports I always thought that once your passport was stamped Departed and you moved Air~side you had "Left" that country??"

You could have been working for "150 years on that job," Thais know it always better. I mean they just make something up, because nobody really knows what to do. 

Don't worry, you'll get used to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:50 AM, orchidfan said:

Now the strange part is that rather than "re~entering" Thailand, they simply chopped our blue Departed stamp with a RED CANCELLED stamp.

Not strange at all. It is standard practice. My visa was a single entry tourist visa and had already been used (of course) 

IMG_7910.thumb.JPG.82c581f43f7305cf28c5f5a6da07deae.JPG

My replacement flight happened to be about 18 hours after the cancelled flight so that is why I have 2 departed stamps for the same day.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, josephbloggs said:

Not a big deal - must happen dozens of times a day.

I lost my TM6 departure card once, just asked for a new one at check in and filled it out.  Not an issue

Probably not necessary to get another TM6 card. On one of the pages in your passport, mine being at the bottom of a page, there date of arrival and TM6 info is there. My TM6 cant even be read anymore its so old, so when they want copies of that card, I just print the page in passport that has that info. Good to  go. 

12 hours ago, featography said:

Probably not necessary to get another TM6 card. On one of the pages in your passport, mine being at the bottom of a page, there date of arrival and TM6 info is there. My TM6 cant even be read anymore its so old, so when they want copies of that card, I just print the page in passport that has that info. Good to  go. 

Just went through my passport and there is NOWHERE other than the actual TM6 where it can be referenced.

On 8/14/2019 at 2:47 PM, atecom said:

I suspect you probably will have issues, but then again, nothing is certain. By sheer luck when I was planning this weekend away several months ago. I had decided to go to Macau instead of Hong Kong last weekend. Had no issues at all going to or returning from Macau.

what else would you expect you were NOT going to H K....macau NOT affected by the problems in H K....!!!

On 8/14/2019 at 9:35 PM, gk10002000 said:

I  flew out of BKK on Monday back to the USA on EVA connecting to Taipei then on to LAX.  I almost, had booked the flight on Cathay Pacific connecting through Hong Kong.  Very happy I didn't.

EVA to LAX via Taipei is the way to go. Done it several times and always pleased with service.

Might have been (and could conceivably still be) interesting for any foreigner on the OP's cancelled flight whose permission to stay in LOS expired on 12th August!

Edited by OJAS