Tourist Visa to Retirement Visa at Jomtien

I'm looking for some advice on changing my tourist visa to a Non O based on retirement. I'm 50 years old and entered thailand on a 60 day tourist visa which I have extended once by another 30 days. Unfortunately due to lack of knowledge I only have 11 days left on the extension and from what I've read on other posts I need at least 15 days left on the tourist visa to change to the retirement visa.

Is this absolutely rigid at Jomtien Immigration or is there any way around it.

I have all the other necessary requirements lined up, 800k in the bank etc but just messed up on timing.

Thanks in advance.

They are strict about the 15 days since that is how long it takes for the non immigrant visa (category O) to be approved at the division level.

You could do a border run for a 30 day visa exempt entry and apply for the visa as soon as you returned from doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have always been wondering how to comply with the 3 month rule of funds in your bank account if you have no thai bank account when entering Thailand?

Thanks! I will apply for longstay visa in Germany.

Edited by stat

2 minutes ago, stat said:

I have always been wondering how to comply to the 3 month rule with the money in the bank?

Thanks!

The is no longer a 3 month rule for the 800k baht in the bank. It is now 2 months on the date you apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

For the non immigrant visa application the 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the date you apply but you do have to prove it came from abroad.

• Like 2

A few years back I returned to Thailand after moving to Mexico, vowing never to return (yeah, I didn't get a re-entry permit. I've beat myself up PLENTY over THAT one!). It cost me 18k or 19k baht at Jomtien Immigration to get the "retirement visa" squared away. The alternative was a stack of forms, all in Thai, and a requirement to make several trips to some Bangkok office. Of course all this was before the 800k baht requirement. Regarding a bank account, it's hit and miss, but if you persist you will eventually find a bank that will let you open an account with a tourist visa, particularly if you dress smart, talk politely, and explain what you are trying to do. Let us know how it turns out for you and best of luck.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I did go down to Jomtien Immigration to chance my arm as I live nearby. I knew the answer would be no but I thought give it a go, and it was no!

Last year I did have an ED visa for 12 months at a local language school. What about if I got another ED visa is it possible to convert that to a Non Immigration 'O' with the retirement extension at a later date or can that only be done from the tourist visa?

I appreciate the visa run extension is possibly the cheapest option but I can't be arsed with the hassle of it, not to mention the stories I've heard of the mini bus drivers and the coffins on wheels that some members describe the trips as!

1 hour ago, Yewbzee said:

Thanks for the replies and advice. I did go down to Jomtien Immigration to chance my arm as I live nearby. I knew the answer would be no but I thought give it a go, and it was no!

Last year I did have an ED visa for 12 months at a local language school. What about if I got another ED visa is it possible to convert that to a Non Immigration 'O' with the retirement extension at a later date or can that only be done from the tourist visa?

I appreciate the visa run extension is possibly the cheapest option but I can't be arsed with the hassle of it, not to mention the stories I've heard of the mini bus drivers and the coffins on wheels that some members describe the trips as!

If you have no luck you could fly u-tapao to udon thani return. The minibus to nong khai straight flat road. Only mention if you get stuck time wise.

• Thanks 1

It's actually a quite smooth ride from Pattaya to Cambodia. Just pick an agent in Pattaya,there are a very good one in the corner of South Pattaya Rd/Second Road. I don't remember the name, though. They pick you up in the morning at your hotel and take care of everything, and you're back in the afternoon. Then you have 30 days and you can start the conversion from tourist visa to 90 days Non-imm O Retirement Visa. After 60 days back to immigration and apply for 1-year extension. 

I’ve heard that some of the Thai immigration staff on the Cambodia border can be awkward and refuse you re-entry. Which is the best border location to go for and are there any to avoid?

Is same day return always allowed or do some insist on staying a night?

Edited by Yewbzee

38 minutes ago, Yewbzee said:

I’ve heard that some of the Thai immigration staff on the Cambodia border can be awkward and refuse you re-entry. Which is the best border location to go for and are there any to avoid?

Is same day return always allowed or do some insist on staying a night?

Any crossing to Cambodia is good with the exception of the Aranyaprathet to Poi Pet crossing.

Most people go to the Ban Pakard crossing in Chanthaburi from Pattaya.

You may be charged 300 baht by Cambodian immigration if you don't stay overnight. I have already mentioned the one crossing that wants you to stay overnight as as  a do not go there location,

21 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

fly to Vietnam for a weeks break.

Relax, then come back and go through the process.

I have done the conversion from Tourist to OA to Retirement twice!  

its not difficult, just stick to the rules.

Cheers, all the help much appreciated. A Cambodia border run it is then. Plus a lesson to myself to make sure I read the damn requirements of visas so I don't make stupid mistakes like this again.

I went with Scoot from BKK to Singapore and return in one day, the deal was 3800 Baht return.  Two legs of 1.45 hours so plenty of reading time.  Could not have been easier.  Goodness knows why anyone would pay an agent more than that amount to get to a border crossing and then have all the possible hassle there.  If it's a tourist VE you need, just fly somewhere and back, low cost.  

7 hours ago, Yewbzee said:

Cheers, all the help much appreciated. A Cambodia border run it is then. Plus a lesson to myself to make sure I read the damn requirements of visas so I don't make stupid mistakes like this again.

The trip to Cambodia and back is not bad actually. The last time I did it, I was lucky, we rode in a brand new van. They showed new movies onboard, 

and we got a free buffet lunch on the Cambodian side of the border. 

It was a few years back,but you never know.