Three agencies get green light for growing marijuana for medical use

webfact

Three agencies get green light for growing marijuana for medical use

By The Nation

800_5a179e65993f0c0.jpg?v=1565754730

The Narcotics Control Board has given the green light to three agencies to grow marijuana for medical use, the Food and Drug Administration chief said.

Dr Tharet Krutnairawiwong, secretary general of the Food and Drug Administration, said the board held a meeting on Tuesday and gave approval to three agencies to cultivate marijuana for their medical use.

The Chaopraya Abhaiphubejhr Hospital in Prachin Buri was given permission to grow more of the species that produces higher levels of cannabidiol (CBD), while the Khumuang Hospital in Buriam was given the green light to plant marijuana for its own use.

And the Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine Department was awarded the right to work with the Kasetsart University to grow marijuana for medical use.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai, permanent secretary to the Public Health Ministry, said Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul had signed a ministerial regulation to endorse the practice of local wisdom and traditional medicine doctors and thus the Narcotics Control Committee endorsed two traditional medicine formulas.

The first formula belongs to Decha Siriphat, the president of the Khao Kwan Foundation, and the second one belongs to a traditional medicine doctor, Nad Srihata, in Kalasin, Sukhum said.

Tharet added that the Public Health Ministry’s order for the approval of traditional medicine formulas of marijuana will be announced in the Royal Gazette soon, paving way for more traditional doctors to seek approval and register their formulas with the ministry.

He added that the traditional doctors must cooperate with state agencies to grow marijuana for medical use.

Tharet added that the meeting also gave a green light for planting hemp (cannabis sativa L. subsp. Sativa) with less than 0.2 per cent of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) for cash crops.

The hemp will be used in the food and cosmetic industries, Tharet said.

He added that the planting of hemp will be allowed after the Public Health Ministry issues a new order to allow its cultivation with state agencies and amends a Public Health order, an order of the Narcotics Control Board and another order of the FDA.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374725

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-14

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

been waiting for my hemp reusable shopping bags that will last a lot longer than myself...

Now here is a useless fact on that very subject for you.   Bangladesh (as it is now known) used to be the prime source of hemp for the kit bags for the British Army.  It was the cloth kind though not the smoking variety.

12 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

been waiting for my hemp reusable shopping bags that will last a lot longer than myself...

My brother keeps suggesting I start a business making hemp shopping bags so I will be looking into this.Has to be a huge global market.

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

Now here is a useless fact on that very subject for you.   Bangladesh (as it is now known) used to be the prime source of hemp for the kit bags for the British Army.  It was the cloth kind though not the smoking variety.

I understand why the British Army used it, damn stuff is almost indestructable. Yea, it would be a little harsh to smoke lol. I believe the seeds were also used to make oil for fighter planes engines.

https://www.truthabouthemp.org/History.html

11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I am thinking about pre-emptive help for my local hospital for when it gets its licence!   LOL

You silly bugger you've already posted your location on this forum so unscrupulous types can use google maps to zoom in and see when your crop is ready for harvest!

18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You silly bugger you've already posted your location on this forum so unscrupulous types can use google maps to zoom in and see when your crop is ready for harvest!

I said I was THINKING about it.

29 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I understand why the British Army used it, damn stuff is almost indestructable. Yea, it would be a little harsh to smoke lol. I believe the seeds were also used to make oil for fighter planes engines.

https://www.truthabouthemp.org/History.html

Excellant thanks and another piece of info that will be stored  by me

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Excellant thanks and another piece of info that will be stored  by me

The Army may have used a little but from 1550-1850 the Navy used it extensively for ropes - the Navy was the premier force, the Army being not very relevant in the art of piracy and slave shipping. During the reign of Henry VIII, it was compulsory to grow a quarter acre of hemp for every 60 acres under cultivation. When demand exceeded supply the American colonies were instructed to supply hemp for the navy.

The British took India (which included present day Bangladesh) in 1858 just after the abolition of slavery, so if Bangladesh did supply the UK it would have been after the time it was used extensively.

UK growing was outlawed in 1928 (at the behest of the US who wanted to protect Hearst's newsprint business) and allowed again in 1993.

https://www.ukhemp.co.uk/articles/a-brief-history-of-hemp-in-the-uk

25 minutes ago, mrfill said:

The Army may have used a little but from 1550-1850 the Navy used it extensively for ropes - the Navy was the premier force, the Army being not very relevant in the art of piracy and slave shipping. During the reign of Henry VIII, it was compulsory to grow a quarter acre of hemp for every 60 acres under cultivation. When demand exceeded supply the American colonies were instructed to supply hemp for the navy.

The British took India (which included present day Bangladesh) in 1858 just after the abolition of slavery, so if Bangladesh did supply the UK it would have been after the time it was used extensively.

UK growing was outlawed in 1928 (at the behest of the US who wanted to protect Hearst's newsprint business) and allowed again in 1993.

https://www.ukhemp.co.uk/articles/a-brief-history-of-hemp-in-the-uk

I was talking rubbish I'm afraid, must be old age. It was Jute that was for bags, amongst other things,  for the British army, not hemp, and was the main supplier. Bangladesh is still the 2nd highest producer in the world according to Wiki.

9 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I was talking rubbish I'm afraid, must be old age. It was Jute that was for bags, amongst other things,  for the British army, not hemp, and was the main supplier. Bangladesh is still the 2nd highest producer in the world according to Wiki.

np. I can remember jute sacks being used for potatoes, flour, coal and the sack race on school sports day....

7 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Jute comes from hemp,  jute is the the skin of the plant also called bast.  Allot of framers in issan already grow this and sell to local companies that make rope and burlap sack bags.  

Archived