BANGKOK
webfact

New Zealand expat arrested for alleged drug dealing and working on retirement visa

Work permit issue aside, with drug bust stories like this I always wonder if they are true or not or whether the guy was setup and if it could happen to anyone. 

New restaurant, retirement visa, selling drugs? 

It just doesn’t stack up to me although maybe I’m naive. 

17 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I can see drug possession but how is that drug dealing ? 

Good point. Quantity of drugs found would be for own use . Has the police evidence of him selling drugs . I doubt that 

Another so called farang expat who come here to do illegal business and show they are white collar people. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NightSky said:

Work permit issue aside, with drug bust stories like this I always wonder if they are true or not or whether the guy was setup and if it could happen to anyone. 

New restaurant, retirement visa, selling drugs? 

It just doesn’t stack up to me although maybe I’m naive. 

You are naive because he has a white a...... Tone would have been different if it was some African, Asian or Thai. 😷

Edited by Thaifriends
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Trujillo said:

What on earth is the point of having the cops stand around for some dillweed group photo? 

"Dillweed".  LOL.  Love that term.  😄  Thanks for my new word for the day.

About your question:  I think it's their silly way of patting themselves on the back and saying. "Hey, look people, aren't we special and good, and making a difference in Thailand."

3 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

No doubt he will be required to undergo a blood or urine test whilst in custody. That will determine whether any, and what type of, drugs are in his system. So, if any of the drugs found by police are not in his system that would be proof that they were not being used by him personally. 

No it wouldn't.

2 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The article stated he had 64 ecstasy pills, almost 10 grams of cocaine and a quantity of ketamine.  This would be consider beyond an amount of narcotics for personal consumption, so this would be reason to charge him with intent to sell.

Selling or even doing illegal drugs in New Zealand, would be stupid but to do this in Thailand, takes stupid to a whole new level.

Thai Immigration has been using the label "bad foreigner" for some time as they have been trying to purge Thailand of expats.  The only thing this anti-foreigner campaign has done is either reject or convince many law abiding foreigners to move to a less restrictive country.  It looks like they finally found a bad foreigner. 😞 

And if he was Hunter S. Thompson? 

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I knew people in Europe who'd snort 10 grams of cocaine in one night. 

hummmm....a friend of a friend knew this guy once!  

4 hours ago, Trujillo said:

The guy pointing to a bag on the floor...something odd about that...who keeps highly illegal products in plain sight on the floor? 

It seems a very odd spot for a stash.  Almost like it had been forgotten about, yet at the same time in convenient plain sight.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well at least he had a proper visa and didn't try to live in Thailand on back to back tourist visa.

Seriously though, I don't get why Thailand doesn't properly vet those who apply for their first extension. They just go through the same bureaucratic nonsense year after year, instead of asking for more paperwork first and less in consecutive years. They don't even know if an applicant has a criminal record back home, that's ridiculous.

Edited by Caldera
Clarity
  • Confused 1

Doing drugs and especially dealing drugs in any foreign country is beyond stupid.

I visit expat prisoners in jail, it is not a place you want to be.

45 inmates in a 10 meter X 10 meter cell, sleeping head to foot on bare concrete floor, no padding allowed, just 2 ceiling fans.

He is facing a minimum of 6 years and most likely longer.

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Good point. Quantity of drugs found would be for own use . Has the police evidence of him selling drugs . I doubt that 

10g is a lot of coke.  Not sure about Thailand, but my home state in Oz the "deemed supply" amount is 3g.  Probably similar here.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 5:32 PM, madmen said:

This guy is screwed

This guy is STUPID.