British passport requirements for my son, help needed

I've looked for similar situations on here but couldn't quite find anything definitive . 

I have a 3 year old son living with his mother and would like for him to have a british passport to enable him to come to the UK in the future.

I've been with his mother for the past 6 years (not married) and after his birth gave him my surname on his passport (translated to thai), I understand this does not legally prove I'm the father . 

My question is what are the steps I need to take and which documents do I need translated etc. to make a successful application and where is best to apply for this . I was born and live in the UK and hold a british passport . I travel to Thailand roughly every 6 months to see him . Is it best to go to Thailand to do all or better to do online . I've read the Gov.uk website requirements but was left a little confused as to the best route for his application . 

I was hoping someone in a similar situation could shed some light on their  recent application or have knowledge of the procedure . 

Any advice appreciated.  

As far as I know the application is done online regardless - your current circumstances are all part of the application process

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

One thing to know is any documentation provided (eg. Birth Certificate) will need to have a certified translation.  We had our son's birth certificate translated and had that certified at the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).  I'm not sure what the rules and regs are now, but one thing that became an issue for us is having the kids passport photo countersigned by someone that has known you for 2 years and is 'a person of good standing in their community' (ie, police, civil servant, teacher etc)... which was hard for us to find in BKK.

On 8/18/2019 at 3:18 PM, globalThailand said:

As far as I know the application is done online regardless - your current circumstances are all part of the application process

No, the application must be made via the Trendy Office in Bangkok using a hard paper copy.

Documents in Thai will need to be translated into English and certified by the translator as being accurate together with the details of their accreditation, I don't think the translation needs to be certified by the MFA.

Retired UK Civil Servants can countersign, as well as current Thai ones, I suspect there are plenty of retired UK Civil Servants in BKK.

No need for MFA certification. I, a teacher here with a work permit, have signed photos in the past and they have been accepted.

On my own passport renewal I got a teacher from the school where I was at the time. a Thai, so sign my photos.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:40 AM, theoldgit said:

No, the application must be made via the Trendy Office in Bangkok using a hard paper copy.

Documents in Thai will need to be translated into English and certified by the translator as being accurate together with the details of their accreditation, I don't think the translation needs to be certified by the MFA.

Retired UK Civil Servants can countersign, as well as current Thai ones, I suspect their a plenty of retired UK Civil Servants in BKK.

Thanks for your help , just one thing I was concerned about was I am not married and was wondering would I need a DNA test done to prove to trendy office the child is mine or is his birth cert enough along with mine and my GFs ? I cant see anything on the site detailing this . .. thanks again

26 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Thanks for your help , just one thing I was concerned about was I am not married and was wondering would I need a DNA test done to prove to trendy office the child is mine or is his birth cert enough along with mine and my GFs ? I cant see anything on the site detailing this . .. thanks again

As your son was born after 1st July 2006 then there is no requirement for you to be married nor will any DNA test be required.

Follow the guidance in this document, paying particular attention to tables A & C.

I assume that you are named as the Father on his Thai birth certificate? This will need translating in to English, as will any other Thai documents, as has been mentioned before by other posters.

OS_Guidance_G3_10.16.pdf

On 8/19/2019 at 10:33 AM, Mattd said:

As your son was born after 1st July 2006 then there is no requirement for you to be married nor will any DNA test be required.

Follow the guidance in this document, paying particular attention to tables A & C.

I assume that you are named as the Father on his Thai birth certificate? This will need translating in to English, as will any other Thai documents, as has been mentioned before by other posters.

OS_Guidance_G3_10.16.pdf 2.27 MB · 0 downloads

Yes my name is on his thai passport . Cheers for the info 

I did this about a year ago for my kids so some info from me might be outdated.

Your name needs to be on his birth cert, not thai passport.

Yes, photo's can be signed but there are some documents needed to be certified by MFA in Chaeng Wathanna. I can't remember off hand which ones and would have to check my older hard drive.

Did it all at Trendy office, you'll have to make an appointment first.

9 hours ago, bkkexplorer said:

I did this about a year ago for my kids so some info from me might be outdated.

Your name needs to be on his birth cert, not thai passport.

Yes, photo's can be signed but there are some documents needed to be certified by MFA in Chaeng Wathanna. I can't remember off hand which ones and would have to check my older hard drive.

Did it all at Trendy office, you'll have to make an appointment first.

Sorry i meant to say my name is on his Thai birth cert , he hasn't got a Thai passport yet . Thanks for the info . 

Archived