Under-fire YouTuber claims he was unaware controversial fishing was in prohibited zone

webfact

Under-fire YouTuber claims he was unaware controversial fishing was in prohibited zone

By The Nation

800_00b914db81d661a.jpg?v=1565769268

Poomjai "DJ Poom" Tangsanga comments on the fishing expedition controversy in a five-minute live-streaming clip on YouTube on Tuesday.

A famous YouTube show host, Poomjai "DJ Poom" Tangsanga, has admitted to fishing in the Mu Koh Chumphon National Park territory claiming he was unaware of the related laws after the Phaya Sua task force lodged a police complaint.

Poomjai and six others face five charges under the National Park Act BE 2504 (1961).

Addressing the controversy in a five-minute live-streaming clip on YouTube, reportedly filmed on Tuesday just hours after learning about the complaint, Poomjai said he felt sad because his YouTube show, DJPoom Channel, has always laid emphasis on conservation and tourism and they have engaged in fishing around Thailand and the world. He explained that the clip about this controversial fishing expedition was uploaded in August last year but had been filmed in August 2017.

Insisting that he and his crew members had no intention to break the law and that their action stemmed from lack of awareness of the related laws, Poomjai said they had learned their lessons from the controversy. He said they will now sign a contract with any guide who takes them to a location at sea or in a forest to ensure that the guide does not take them to a legally prohibited zone.

"We are not crazy enough to film ourselves breaking the law and then airing it to condemn ourselves," he said, apologising for their lapse. He thanked officials for doing their job as well as fans for offering moral support. He added that his team would contact police about this matter soon. The clip had received more than 230,000 views by 1pm on Wednesday.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30374743

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-14

To be fair, a guy who's passionate about fishing ought to know what the environmental boundaries are.  Perhaps not chapter and verse, but you KNOW they exist, and where they can be referenced.  Especially if it's your passion and, moreover, your vocation - part-time or otherwise.  I wouldn't join the public outcry and dog pile on the guy, and he "seems" genuine in his contrition.

That said, areas in my home country where I used to fish without controls in my youth, have been designated as Marine Sanctuaries, and I discovered all this on-line by accident in recent years during extended holidays there, out fishing.  Either totally off-limits or a dizzying laundry list of aconyms and regulations I had no idea had come into force in the 20 odd years I've lived abroad.  

While annoying at first blush, big picture, I get it and was happy to learn and willingly comply, lest the home shores become barren deserts like so many ravaged areas across the world I have lived.  Thailand at the moment.  Anything that swims, slithers, walks or crawls, goes in the pot. 

I also recognize I have the first world luxury of having that aloof attitude.  Growing up, we didn't have a lot, and my Dad hunted whatever game was in season, and that's what was on the dinner table.  Road kill or taking a deer out of season was illegal but not uncommon in that shitty little town, used up then vacated by the coal industry without many/any local opportunities left over. 

Archived