stop attic heat coming down into the house

zeekgarcia

Have a single story house about 130 sq meters during the hot months the heat from the attic/roof space comes down into the house and it is like an oven. We do not have a/c and keep our windows and doors open.  I am attaching a photo of our roof and more details about it below.

I was thinking of getting the SCG stay cool insulation and having it put on top of the ceilings but I read this post about the SCG insulation blocking the heat in the house from rising up into the attic/roof space and they had to install fans in their rooms to blow the hot air from their rooms into the roof space.

So I am not sure about what to do now and am looking for suggestions.

**More details about our roof**

The roofing of the house is not the cpac clay roofing tiles but it is the common long roofing sheets, I peaked my head into the roof space and saw one gable vent on the far right hand end of the roof which I drew a small blue circle around on the attached picture.

The large blue circled area is a downward ridge, where two downward sections of the roof meets and goes downwards from the highest part of the roof, I did see some sunlight along this ridge so I am guessing that air can come in or out of these areas but there are no signs of leaks or water coming in etc

The black circled part is an addition that was added onto the house and there is a few cm of space between the roof and the room ceiling.

The whited out part is the neighbors roof, our roofs are just a few cm away from each other.

google view of roof.JPG

Edited by zeekgarcia

6 minutes ago, Naam said:

the first step you need is not some tech rubbish² (designed by "thermophysical" ignorants as described above) but a proper ventilation (preferably forced) of your attic.

Are you talking about attic vents or maybe putting a fan at the gable vent? 

Edited by zeekgarcia

13 minutes ago, Naam said:

the first step you need is not some tech rubbish² (designed by "thermophysical" ignorants as described above) but a proper ventilation (preferably forced) of your attic.

Would the whirly-gig things work, either powered or not please?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Are you talking about attic vents or maybe putting a fan at the gable vent? 

fan at gable vent. make sure there's enough intake on the other end. perhaps you have to make an intake in the eaves. your description is not clear.

27 minutes ago, Naam said:

fan at gable vent. make sure there's enough intake on the other end. perhaps you have to make an intake in the eaves. your description is not clear.

are these attic vents with fans in them, what you are talking about?

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells anything like these here in Thailand?

And could you use them with the standard cement roof panels like the red one below

Thanks

attic vents.JPG

roof panel.JPG

Edited by zeekgarcia

installing a passive (non-powered) whirly gig does not by itself actually do anything

(I'm totally in concurrance with @Naam on this) Any air rising up through a whirly, is only doing it due to convection. 

so, if you have, say, already bought a whirly gig, ; then it'd be better to now go buy a ceiling extractor like fan , to ensure air gets forced up through the whirly...

Another alternative, is the Bell type venting.  This concept  is no better for simple convection; however these are all powered

image.jpeg.f54663e38adb00ee94e4e8c9bd843d29.jpegThese are supplied with a 12 volt based thermostat.

the major other advantage of these, is that it is weatherproof... something a whirly cannot guaranteed against.

This is a repeat of a similar current post that is running, look for it and have a read. 

Idealy the first place to attach the problem is directly under the roof with reflective aluminium foil, get that right and you have a better chance of getting the house a bit cooler with insulation. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

And could you use them with the standard cement roof panels like the red one below

Thanks

attic vents.JPG

roof panel.JPG

heh heh heh  - like minds thinking alike!! 

Note,  that the bell vent in your photo that you found, hasn't been installed correctly. 

It's downtube, needs rotational adjustment, to counter the angle of the roof.

It is only capable of retaining it's weatherproofing  guarantees, up to 15 degrees from level.

yes the bells are powered...a 12volt 18Watt motor; contolled via a kit-supplied thermostat.

33 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Thanks

attic vents.JPG

roof panel.JPG

a whirly is easily installed in your corrugated sheets as it comes with a fiiting attachment. but as mentioned... no breeze = hardly any ventilation ventilation. airflow intake is required too!

the pictures show roof fans which to the best of my knowledge are not available in Thailand. i installed half a dozen temperature controlled in our Florida home.

4 hours ago, Naam said:

a whirly is easily installed in your corrugated sheets as it comes with a fiiting attachment. but as mentioned... no breeze = hardly any ventilation ventilation. airflow intake is required too!

the pictures show roof fans which to the best of my knowledge are not available in Thailand. i installed half a dozen temperature controlled in our Florida home.

no wind OK, but the whirly is still an exit for hot air in the roof space- if there is sufficient air passing thru' the whirly it will probably rotate anyway ---  just ensure there is enough gable vents or what ever is needed to allow air to flow into the roof space and out of the whirly -    

6 hours ago, Naam said:

trees which shade roofs are rare and work only planted close to the home which is a dangerous undertaking.

Not only from the obvious dangers of leafs falling on the roof and falling branches etc , but the lifting power of the roots is amazing I have seen it crack a foundation in two . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Naam said:

"no breeze = insufficient air flow" :mfr_closed1:

It's called convection, hot air rises and will exit thru' the whirly resulting in "cooler" air replacing it, that's assuming the roof is not completely airtight, or do you believe that the big hole thru' the roof offered by the whirly, will do nothing to assist in reducing the build up of heat in the roof space? 

I would also suggest that the design of the whirly and its so called internal "fan" is useless, the amount of air exhausted by the fan would be zero - sure it looks good spinning around but no more effective than an open tube with a slight venturi effect as any breeze blows across the top of it. All the louvred top does is the spin around to make it look effective and the exclude the birds and keep the rain out (sometimes) 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tifino said:

installing a passive (non-powered) whirly gig does not by itself actually do anything

(I'm totally in concurrance with @Naam on this) Any air rising up through a whirly, is only doing it due to convection. 

so, if you have, say, already bought a whirly gig, ; then it'd be better to now go buy a ceiling extractor like fan , to ensure air gets forced up through the whirly...

Another alternative, is the Bell type venting.  This concept  is no better for simple convection; however these are all powered

image.jpeg.f54663e38adb00ee94e4e8c9bd843d29.jpegThese are supplied with a 12 volt based thermostat.

the major other advantage of these, is that it is weatherproof... something a whirly cannot guaranteed against.

Made  my  own at the stainless  shop year s  back Im wary of anything here made  of  plastic as it tends in many (  but  not  all)  cases to disintegrate over time

IMAG1209.jpg

IMAG1210.jpg

• Like 1

Yep like other posters have said with attached pics ... roof mounted 'whirly gigs' (Aussie expression) or escaping heat (high pressure to low) turned roof mounted fans are the go.

Just make sure you install a few more than you think to really exhaust the hot air trapping under the roof. Another option is to fit a second 'floating' roof over the whole structure, or on the hottest side of the house (west).

28 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Made  my  own at the stainless  shop year s  back Im wary of anything here made  of  plastic as it tends in many (  but  not  all)  cases to disintegrate over time

the Bell models are also made all aluminium. The base square, of an extremely pliable alloy; to allow for very flush moulding shape, to that of the roof tiling/sheeting

Going back to the Title, about the preventing gheat back into the house:

I also looked into actively assisting upwards convection flows, from the rooms.

All Shower/Kitchen/Laundry/Toilet ceiling fans, in most case, don't have a flap arrangement, to prevent flow back downwards when the fans are Off.

I installed thermostat controlled fans to each of them, working in parallel with the select switches. Once any thermostat (sitting low in the ceiling) reaches a preset temperature; it's respective fan turns on

I even cut a 25cm hole in my ceiling ladder access manhole, and put a fan into it.

Setting at 24C degrees at the lower ceiling, is relative to the upper gable of the ceiling reaching 38C degrees. At the same time, the ceiling inside the room is at 21C degrees

a good feeling for the effects of just how much airflow there is, simply from convection; is to stand at the top of your ladder, and feel the simple rush upwards of air, from roomspace, to roofspace!

Edited by tifino