Jump to content
BANGKOK
Joejoejoejoe

Insurance for married expat

Recommended Posts

(I'm sure this must come up a lot) 

I am from the UK (32yo), now living full time in Thailand on a spouse visa with my wife.

I can no longer get travel insurance as I spend over six months of the year in Thailand, and found it hard to find a company that would accept my situation... 

My wife has her own health insurance. 

Just signing in to thaivisa I can see hundreds of insurance ads, but would prefer to have personal opinions on the best cover? 

I just spent an expensive two days in a Bangkok hospital with a high fever which was a definite wake up call. 

Any suggestions etc. really appreciated. 

Joe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contact AA insurance brokers or similar, they can advise and provide options for consideration.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your wife have a government job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could also minimise your exposure to many health hazards by moving out of Bangkok if that were possible for you.  Your wife is working in BKK supporting you ?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Contact AA insurance brokers or similar, they can advise and provide options for consideration.

I don't recommend AA or any broker except one, but I won't mention the name so it doesn't look biased.

 

I recently contacted few of them (AA included) and they just push you the company that pays them the biggest commissions - Pacific Cross who give you the lowest coverage for the highest premium.

 

If you ok with approx 1000 EUR a year then get Cigna Global

 

If you on lower budget get LMG which gives you 400k coverage for as low as 8000 THB a year, you can choose more of course. In compare Pacific Cross for the same level of coverage is usually 50% more.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HeyHeyHey said:

I don't recommend AA or any broker except one, but I won't mention the name so it doesn't look biased.

 

I recently contacted few of them (AA included) and they just push you the company that pays them the biggest commissions - Pacific Cross who give you the lowest coverage for the highest premium.

 

If you ok with approx 1000 EUR a year then get Cigna Global

 

If you on lower budget get LMG which gives you 400k coverage for as low as 8000 THB a year, you can choose more of course. In compare Pacific Cross for the same level of coverage is usually 50% more.

Whilst that may be your experience, I and others on this forum have had good service from AA, my recent quote didnt even include Pacific Cross, so I guess as with most things its on a case by case basis and dependent on individual circumstances.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Whilst that may be your experience, I and others on this forum have had good service from AA, my recent quote didnt even include Pacific Cross, so I guess as with most things its on a case by case basis.

 

Possible, of course.

 

On the other hand overall the more expensive insurance coverage in Thailand sux big time. You can easily pay double the price of Cigna Global for 1/3 of the coverage and zero of the regulations and fair legal system that can help you with disputes.

 

Thai based insurance is only useful if you need/want to save money and get low coverage in under 1 mio THB

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joejoejoejoe said:

but would prefer to have personal opinions on the best cover

Bupa Global offers excellent cover but it comes at a price and as such it's not cheap.

 

image.png.9e79616c2e1065200f875d9c339f9998.png

 

1.7 million pounds right now is just over 63 million Baht so it's enough to cover pretty much anything you might ever need.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luma are good and have a local (Bangkok) office.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

You could also minimise your exposure to many health hazards by moving out of Bangkok if that were possible for you.  Your wife is working in BKK supporting you ?

Yes she is working in Bangkok. I fund myself with savings. We won't be able to leave Bangkok for over a year.  I just picked up a nasty 2 day fever from (what I suspect) was a leech bite in Khao Yai National Park, and am recovering from a 20,000 baht hospital bill s:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Does your wife have a government job?

No, sadly not, and she paid seperately for her insurance, that I pushed her to get (the company wouldn't cover me as I don't have a work permit).. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...