Thailand ‘a rising star in the international school market’

By THE NATION

800_3124d0ff7093297.jpg

International schools in Thailand are in high demand as foreign students, including an increasing number from China and Hong Kong, flock to the kingdom to study.

Toryos Pandejpong, board director at Denla British School (DBS) – one of the leading international schools in the region, says Thailand is now a rising star in the segment, with nearly 60,000 foreign students studying in 175 international schools. Ten years ago there were not more than 100 such schools in the country. 

It’s not only foreigners but Thai parents as well who send their children to international schools, due to the perception that these schools demonstrate a global standard in quality, ensure excellent education and opportunities for students to enter the world’s top universities, he said. 

DBS, for example, delivers an enhanced British curriculum from the UK taught by experienced English native teachers, Toryos said, adding that Mandarin subjects are also taught. 

“Another reason why international schools are attractive is because foreigners have confidence in Thailand’s strength and stability and that’s why they send their children to our country to study,” he said.

“At DBS, we have foreign students from the UK, Australia, Portugal, USA, Canada, France, India, Japan, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. We have received increasing calls from parents living in places with an unstable situation. We recently received 30 per cent more calls from Hong Kong and also from Chinese parents. We have a suitable curriculum and experienced native teachers. Our facilities, which are fully equipped with technologies, are recognised as being the best among British schools here,” Toryos said.

DBS covers more than 60 rai of land on Ratchapruek Road. The school enrolls students from their early years to Year 9 (the equivalent of kindergarten to Matthayom 2) and has a pre-school class named “DBS Mini Dragons” for children aged 2-3. DBS presently has 60 experienced English native teachers and 50 learning assistants.

The international school works under four principles of its “Unique DBS Vision” – an enhanced British curriculum, academic excellence for all, entrepreneurship and creative thinking, and global and community perspectives, including preserving Thainess. “These contribute to DBS students’ development in all areas. Their success can be seen in the many academic and non-academic awards they have earned,” he said. 

According to Toryos, DBS has passed the standard evaluation from the International School Association of Thailand and the Council of International School, the pre-eminent institutions for evaluating and recognising international schools in Thailand and worldwide.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30374747

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-14

3 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

If you look at the entire executive management team, including the Principle, there is no one there above a MA in education from no name schools in the UK.

Well I thought it was an advert rather than a news article

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

DBS has passed the standard evaluation from the International School Association of Thailand and the Council of International School

It seems that they do not have CIS accreditation. From the CIS web site:

image.thumb.png.dcc213fe3814a2a4b90a390e551e9b10.png

6 hours ago, Scott said:

Comment on moderation removed.   If you are not interested, don't bother to read or post about it.   It is posted in the education forum, not the news forum.

Sorry, I never read the education forum.

This the news forum.

14 minutes ago, Chassa said:

Sorry, I never read the education forum.

This the news forum.

Nope.   This is the education forum.   The section you are in is Primary & Secondary Education.   You can find it at the top of the page right above the headline.

Some of the forums exist for people with a particular interest or need in a specialized area.   As such, they are often moderating a little more tightly.   

Everyone is free to read and post, but just try to make sure it is relevant and on topic.  

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Another reason why international schools are attractive is because foreigners have confidence in Thailand’s strength and stability and that’s why they send their children to our country to study,” he said.

... not to mention being located on the border of Narnia

This "news" piece is (and is only) "advertising in disguise", probably paid for by the identified school. The lead-in phrase -- "one of the leading international schools in the region" -- is a dead give away, as the school is not in any respect one of the known or respected international schools in Thailand. That this article would be repeated in Thai Visa is an embarrassment and shows a complete lack of respect for the readers of this forum. Who ever chose to repeat it here should be ashamed -- "money talks". There are many threads on the leading/best international schools in Thailand, and this one is never mentioned, even in passing. I am all for the dissemination of information, but it should be honest and ethical, especially in the area of education and learning. Shame.....

Curiously, in another "article" about/by this school in January 2019 , it says:

"There is an oversupply of schools in terms of quantity, but not in quality. … You see many Thai families sending their children abroad to India, Singapore, Britain or the US." But, "Thailand is ‘a rising star in the international school market’" -- what????.  And, "The school is only two years old and has 320 students, but it has the capacity for 900." Only 2 years old and only 320 students, but ""one of the leading international schools in the region" -- complete nonsense.... One of the truly "leading international schools in Thailand", Bangkok Patana International School, was founded in 1957 and has 2,250 students. Big difference!

A comment on moderation has been removed.   Continue and face a suspension.  First, be aware that you cannot see the removed post.   Second this is the rule:

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

The rules are here:   https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Nope.   This is the education forum.   The section you are in is Primary & Secondary Education.   You can find it at the top of the page right above the headline.

Some of the forums exist for people with a particular interest or need in a specialized area.   As such, they are often moderating a little more tightly.   

Everyone is free to read and post, but just try to make sure it is relevant and on topic.  

it's in news section

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Who makes this shIt up?

I mean, any Thai with serious money sends their kids abroad.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Toryos Pandejpong, board director at Denla British School (DBS) – one of the leading international schools in the region, says Thailand is now a rising star in the segment,

She cannot be serious.

Isn't it sad that parents have to pay for private schools coz of Goverment run schools being just too bad in everything. Good education must be available to everyone without payment. 

But stop, in this case the elite would be at risk.

Simply money making schemes.  I'm thinking about opening a Trumps University~60,000 a year, and learn how to lie, cheat, steal and deceive your way to riches and fame mowing anyone down in your path at any cost.

Yep, at Trumps~we trump you up, so you can mow down the losers until you are on top~up your confidence, and forget how to feel

22 minutes ago, Deli said:

Isn't it sad that parents have to pay for private schools coz of Goverment run schools being just too bad in everything. Good education must be available to everyone without payment. 

Isn't it sad that people have to pay for private health care coz of Government run hospitals being just too bad in everything. Good health care must be available to everyone without payment. 

Isn't it sad that people have to pay for private transportation coz of Government run busses being just too bad. Good transportation must be available to everyone without payment. 

Isn't it sad that people have to pay for private housing coz of Government run housing being just too bad. Good housing must be available to everyone without payment.

Isn't it sad that people have to pay for food coz of Government provided food being just too bad. Good food/nutrition must be available to everyone without payment. 

Shall I go on with your nonsense? Just because the "government" provides something, doesn't mean it is "without payment". Tax payers pay for it. In Thailand, incomes and therefore taxes are low, and the quality of the services provided by the government are also low (the quality of the services provided by the government in other countries where incomes and taxes are much higher is also low, but that is a whole other story, one that I doubt that you would understand).  

21 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Guess he needs "re-educating"

USD 20'000 per student per year for what you get in any western country as normal public school - there is a message somewhere ........... and that is the lower end of the tuition fee scale. 

Absolutely not affordable for 99.9% of Thais which results in one of the least educated ASEAN future. You can give a child precisely two things for life; one is social values and the other one is the best possible education. The latter is the responsibility of the government which, due to the absence of power separation, directly benefits of an uneducated electorate during elections and all those smoke screen exercises going on daily without the average Khon Thai even realizing. The big ride on the Thai-Education-Merry-go-round will not stop anytime soon - yet, in my humble unimportant opinion - it is too late already and Thailand will face a blank future compared to the rest of most ASEAN countries. How sad for the future generations and Thailand! 

On 8/14/2019 at 8:52 PM, Phuketshrew said:

It seems that they do not have CIS accreditation. From the CIS web site:

image.thumb.png.dcc213fe3814a2a4b90a390e551e9b10.png

They're a member school, not yet fully accredited. From experience (though not CIS experience - there are other options for accreditation), you need to be open at least three years before you can be accredited.

I've been aware of Denla since they started hiring teachers through TES Jobs a couple of years ago before they opened. I've had no direct contact with them as I've been happy with where my daughter has been at school, but they advertise a British curriculum without ignoring Thai culture and heritage. This can be hard to find - many international schools are run by foreigners who come in and don't have an awareness or understanding of Thailand. My daughter is Thai/British and I want a school that offers British qualifications but also recognises that my daughter may well end up working in a Thai setting and prepares her for that. I'll keep watching Denla, along with several other schools.

They aren't yet CIS accredited as they only recently opened. The whole process takes a number of years as I have been through it at my school. They will most likely get fully accredited as it seems they have a good setup and definitely do proper recruiting. 

However, I don't think you can call a school that is two years old and doesn't yet offer any from of A - Level / IB curriculum in Secondary as successful. Until they actually have students graduating with scores that are comparative worldwide and go to top universities then it is all talk. 

Also, interesting to note on their website they're offering quite substantial discounts to new students. There are quite a few of these new schools (two in very close proximity) that are finding it hard to recruit and are offering big discounts to get students in. 

A bit like condos, I fear soon there will be too many schools and nowhere near enough students. Thankfully where I work is a well established place that has been around well over a decade. We have a decent student size from 3 - 18, but are noticing numbers slowly decreasing. 

• 2 months later...

One of the main reasons there are so many International schools in Thailand is the lenient legislation. All private & International schools pay zero tax on profits. They don't have to pay social security for teachers. They can hire foreign teachers on fixed term contracts & in theory don't have to pay severence (although a supreme court case proved this to be false). The downsides would be high set up costs, high fixed costs & competition.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 11:34 AM, Big Guns said:

One of the main reasons there are so many International schools in Thailand is the lenient legislation. All private & International schools pay zero tax on profits. They don't have to pay social security for teachers. They can hire foreign teachers on fixed term contracts & in theory don't have to pay severence (although a supreme court case proved this to be false). The downsides would be high set up costs, high fixed costs & competition.

really?  aren't most of the international schools for profit entities (versus the few run as foundations, such as ISB, NIST and Patana), and thus, as for profit entities aren't they required to pay tax on profits (as well as social security contributions for their teachers)?

this was one of a few reasons I've avoided the for profit schools for my kid.  could be wrong though.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:01 AM, Deli said:

Who says government run schools are bad? There are actually many more opportunities to learn, get scholarships and make a name for yourself. It just depends from how good a student really is, an international school might give better education but their opinion about students might be biased by the money parents are paying because in the end it is a business.

a friend's daughter goes to a UK curriculum school, the difference between what/how she studies compared to other friend's children at thai schools is impressive, however given that she studies in english, with many native speaker teachers the fact she still makes basic grammatical errors i find stunning.

Archived