BANGKOK
vogie

3BB vs True internet

We are currently with 3BB internet, at a cost to ourselves 750 baht per month, for this we get 100 Mbps and 20 Mbps. However this afternoon True rang my wife up and offered her the same package for 399 baht per month. She has looked on the internet and has found that True is not as reliable as 3BB, has anybody else found this to be the case? I live in the Pattaya area. Thanks

I have had true for 6 years here in central pattaya and very few issues more than happy with true

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've had both. I prefer 3bb.

There are better deals available than what you have now:

3bb.jpg.269c3e5ff7f7fe266f8cb7a5a57695ac.jpg

I've got the 500/500. It works great.

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you are satisfied with 3BB stay with them and pay less as described.

Prices and performance change quickly nowadays.

I recently changed to 3BB, 100/100 for 590 (not Pattaya).

Don't really have much use for 100 upload but who cares.

Maybe I join the cloud crowd sometime :smile:

The 3BB WiFi included is nice but coverage is not great even in Pattaya.

(and before bickering starts: add 7% tax to all internet prices)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Call 3BB customer Service and tell them you want to cancel your service because True made you a much better offer.  3BB will quickly offer you a comparable deal.

Also, if you read the True offer closely, you will probably find it's a limited time offer, like perhaps six months, then double the price.

• Thanks 1

Along a similar vein, and hopefully not too far off track (if it is, then please put it in the correct thread for me).

I currently have 3BB supplying my apartment on a fixed line (the owner won't allow a new fibre-optic cable to be installed – – don't ask me why) and it is apparently 25 Mbps, although it does vary a little on speed tests I do.

However I am trying to watch football and rugby via some of the streaming services like HD Prime and Expat Prime (legal I've been told) but I get buffering and stalling when I try to watch them and the picture goes from good to poor to stall.

I was wondering whether 25 Mbps is too low?

Another friend has suggested that my computer might not be able to handle the football and movies that I want to watch and that the processor or graphics card might be the problem. I have recently upgraded the computer ram to 8GB anyway.

So questions would be whether I need to get a higher Mbps number, or whether my computer, a basic HP notebook, needs to be changed for something a bit more grunty, or I thought about changing to the AIS or True service that uses a dongle, but I am completely in the dark as to whether or not that would work.

True have told me that they can provide me with unlimited 4G using a dongle, but I don't know if that is going to be of any help to me on my computer problem?

I want to get something sorted before the football season becomes full on and also so that I can watch the rugby World Cup so suggestions would be most welcome.

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Along a similar vein, and hopefully not too far off track (if it is, then please put it in the correct thread for me).

I currently have 3BB supplying my apartment on a fixed line (the owner won't allow a new fibre-optic cable to be installed – – don't ask me why) and it is apparently 25 Mbps, although it does vary a little on speed tests I do.

However I am trying to watch football and rugby via some of the streaming services like HD Prime and Expat Prime (legal I've been told) but I get buffering and stalling when I try to watch them and the picture goes from good to poor to stall.

I was wondering whether 25 Mbps is too low?

Another friend has suggested that my computer might not be able to handle the football and movies that I want to watch and that the processor or graphics card might be the problem. I have recently upgraded the computer ram to 8GB anyway.

So questions would be whether I need to get a higher Mbps number, or whether my computer, a basic HP notebook, needs to be changed for something a bit more grunty, or I thought about changing to the AIS or True service that uses a dongle, but I am completely in the dark as to whether or not that would work.

True have told me that they can provide me with unlimited 4G using a dongle, but I don't know if that is going to be of any help to me on my computer problem?

I want to get something sorted before the football season becomes full on and also so that I can watch the rugby World Cup so suggestions would be most welcome.

25 mb/s is plenty to stream TV or movies. Forget 4G dongle, they only want your money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whether 3BB or True is better depends on another very important consideration - the routers. Where I live, everyone said that True was better than AIS. And that was true - at the beginning. However, after about one year, with everyone following that advice, the local True router was getting overloaded, and suddenly the AIS connectivity was far superior to True. So the advertised speeds are not very meaningful until they are verified by a speed test, and even then that can change over time.

8 minutes ago, timendres said:

Whether 3BB or True is better depends on another very important consideration - the routers. Where I live, everyone said that True was better than AIS. And that was true - at the beginning. However, after about one year, with everyone following that advice, the local True router was getting overloaded, and suddenly the AIS connectivity was far superior to True. So the advertised speeds are not very meaningful until they are verified by a speed test, and even then that can change over time.

And Speedtest is not really a good test. If you use 3BBs connection it is always way up there. Use testmy.net and you get a very different reading. Luckily I live in the jungle village where there are max 6 subscribers, I have fibre to my home and get 200/200 no problem. But many sites I connect to in Thaialnd are not at 200mbs, so no real advantage. I find that if I connect via my VPN (Express) to Singapore, most sites come up quicker. But hey, what's few more milliseconds when you've been around for over 70 years!

44 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

25 mb/s is plenty to stream TV or movies. Forget 4G dongle, they only want your money. 

Thanks........and if so, perhaps I should look at my computers ability to handle the content?

21 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And Speedtest is not really a good test. If you use 3BBs connection it is always way up there. Use testmy.net and you get a very different reading. Luckily I live in the jungle village where there are max 6 subscribers, I have fibre to my home and get 200/200 no problem. But many sites I connect to in Thaialnd are not at 200mbs, so no real advantage. I find that if I connect via my VPN (Express) to Singapore, most sites come up quicker. But hey, what's few more milliseconds when you've been around for over 70 years!

You seem to be correct, I have speed test master pro, I should be getting 100/30, just checked it and it recorded a speed of 250/150. Checked it with check my net, it recorded 95/53, probably more like it, thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks........and if so, perhaps I should look at my computers ability to handle the content?

Your computer definitely can handle the content.

25 Mbps is plenty IF that speed is measured to the location where the servers are, and there are no servers in Thailand.

If you use the speed test from the provider or ookla you are testing to Thailand servers.

This link test to Europe. Make sure you see London GB at the top of the page, otherwise click on it and change it to London.

https://testmy.net/mirror?testServer=uk

That said, there are plenty of threads about Hdprime, which will explain why you content buffers, and no they are NOT legal.

There is no way that you can watch Sky sports legally in Thailand

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

Your computer definitely can handle the content.

25 Mbps is plenty IF that speed is measured to the location where the servers are, and there are no servers in Thailand.

If you use the speed test from the provider or ookla you are testing to Thailand servers.

This link test to Europe. Make sure you see London GB at the top of the page, otherwise click on it and change it to London.

https://testmy.net/mirror?testServer=uk

That said, there are plenty of threads about Hdprime, which will explain why you content buffers, and no they are NOT legal.

There is no way that you can watch Sky sports legally in Thailand

Thank you for your reply, and I did test my speed using the link you gave me (thank you again) and it does vary tremendously with a minimum being 7.89 Mbps, midpoint of around 23 and Max of 53 – – some variation!

So I'm thinking that the variations/low readings will be the reason the programs buffer?

I had no idea about HD prime, so I did get onto this forum and search, but only came up with a few posts on it, and couldn't find out a reason why it buffered, so perhaps my assumption above is correct?

I'm not really worried about HDPrime per se or watching EPL football for that matter, because I can get that on True vision, but what I'm really interested in watching is the rugby World Cup and as yet haven't found how to watch it here in Thailand!

I have a friend who has something called Expat Prime and another who has HDPrime, and both of them seem to be able to receive a signal without any of this buffering or freezing, which obviously makes me wonder about my Internet connection or my computer as they connect via an android box directly to their television, so perhaps that's the clue?.

Any info you have, even if you have to send it by private message (PM) would be most appreciated.

15 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

Just looked at the Ookla app. You can search for severs around the world. Where you can select servers enter in the search field at the top "London" and you will find many. 

22 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Just looked at the Ookla app. You can search for severs around the world. Where you can select servers enter in the search field at the top "London" and you will find many. 

Yes you can with the Ookla Beta app.

Difference between ookla and testmynet is that the former uses multi-thread ( multi connections) , similar to a torrent or download manager, while the latter uses single thread since with a video stream you get only 1 connection.

If you look at a Ookla speed test you will notice that your speed starts low and continuously increase during the test, because more threads are added, and in real life an internet connection fluctuate constantly.