Exact Rule regarding 400K Baht Deposit for Non(O) Thai Wife visa/extension

Hello fellow members

My date of Non(O) wife based visa extension is due on 01-Dec-19. In all these 06 years I always use to apply for extension a month prior to expiry date. and 02 Months before application submission I use to make sure that 400K Baht is present in my account. So usually they give 01 Month extension and after 01 month have to go again to get rest of 11 months stamps. So it counts to 03 Months of funds in the account. As last time once I went they told me to make sure you don't withdraw funds once you come to get your passport stamped for rest 11 months.

My question is, what should be the exact date to put funds in the account if I have to submit application a month prior to Visa expiry date as per immigration Rules.

Thankyou.

8 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Two months before you submit the application for extension of stay.

Thanks. So if 01-Dec-19 is the expiry date, how many date before is safe time frame to apply for extension of stay?

7 hours ago, taken said:

Thanks. So if 01-Dec-19 is the expiry date, how many date before is safe time frame to apply for extension of stay?

You can apply for a new extension on the last day of your current extension if you want to. Best to do it early in case you come up short on some documents. I normally do mine a couple of weeks early.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a new extension on the last day of your current extension if you want to. Best to do it early in case you come up short on some documents. I normally do mine a couple of weeks early.

Where can we find it in black and white regarding the seasoning of deposits in our Thai bank accounts . These questions arise often and there is often confusion especially when talking the subject in a bar to fellow retirees .   Have to say I hear of more guys giving up with the hassle  and now using the " alternative " method . 

Taken from the official Police order.

2.18 In the case of a family 

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child 

of his/her spouse): 

Permission will be 

granted for a period of 

not more than 1 year at a time. 

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year. 

Edited by fishtank
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, superal said:

Where can we find it in black and white regarding the seasoning of deposits in our Thai bank accounts .

Clause 2.18 for marriage after downloading number 11 or number 13 for retirement here.

It is very straight forward, in principle, as helpfully posted above, though as you know the bits you need to show proof of income is not.  Getting a cup of coffee sometimes seems to present itself with unimaginable difficulties. 

I was at immigration very recently with the 40k/pm marriage route, 4th time renewal.  I am not saying the following points are the “new” rules/regs, but it was my experience and something I wanted to share as some of it might apply. If not, at least it might amuse you.

I will never do it again. I have been here for 11+ great years and now think enough is enough.

So, getting a letter for a years’ worth of foreign transactions (FTT) would take about 5 minutes in any normal bank and be acceptable in any normal place.

At the bank I felt like I was in a goldfish bowl and no one would talk to me directly. They asked anyone but me what it was that I required. Even strangers on the same waiting table. It took 11 days, a combined period of about 4 hours at the bank, 50 pages of statements, 26 individual reports, (which they wanted to charge 100 baht each for - I said no, so we got it down to 500 baht), and a final letter showing my name, address and the total FTT for the year (extra 100 baht).

One important thing that came out of that was, Transferwise, in the last month seemed to have piggybacked off of another Thai bank for foreign transfers, which shows up as SMART on statements.  They cannot then be treated as a foreign payment (FTT). Both the bank and immigration were very quick to point that out (to my wife, not me).  I have done nothing different from every single transaction I have done before, so please check. Not an issue for me, but for anyone who has a pension/income transfer close to the mark, with an unexpected invalid bank code, it could make the difference between a yes or no. Showing it leaving your home country does not count as it shows up as coming from a Thai Bank at this end. 

So, armed with this ridiculous amount of paperwork we went to immigration, but surprise… it was not enough.  They wanted everything.  When I say everything, I mean everything.  All bank records - statements, today’s bank book and copies of each and every page of my previous bank books going back years.  One of the more senior ladies came over and said “we do 3 month or one year, but next year must show more than one year”. That was the first time I was spoken to directly. I thought, great, things are finally looking up! So, I asked the obvious question, “why do you need everything this year, when new rule starts next year?”  - completely, ignored.  Then, aside from having the 26 reports, the highlighted statements, an official letter and an official short print out slip from the bank showing all of the FTTs along with the total, which she eventually divided by 11 (!?), they made my wife write each one down by hand, by date, add up, total, both sign for, photocopy and then sign the photocopy.     

I was joking with my friend earlier about me and my wife signing at least 200 papers, I do wonder though, in which universe is this process ever acceptable or welcoming?  And what business is it of theirs to see what I spent in 2015, which btw they already had a record of?    

This was just a tiny part of the endless frustration that this process was and we even had a really good agent.  Anyhoo, I am sure people have had more horrendous examples, I hope I can look back on this (somewhere else) and laugh about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Helloagain1 said:

{snipped}

I was joking with my friend earlier about me and my wife signing at least 200 papers, I do wonder though, in which universe is this process ever acceptable or welcoming?  And what business is it of theirs to see what I spent in 2015, which btw they already had a record of?   

About ten years ago when I applied for a Non-B extension, there was even then plenty of supporting paperwork to sign/countersign.

One year I counted how many time I signed my name at the desk for the Non-B extension application. It was 150.

12 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I only have to have the 400k two months before I apply for an extension of stay? I have heard it´s 3 months. 

It is 2 months before the date you apply for an extension based upon marriage.

Not sure where you heard 3 months since even for a retirement extension it is now 2 months not 3.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 2 months before the date you apply for an extension based upon marriage.

Not sure where you heard 3 months since even for a retirement extension it is now 2 months not 3.

Thanks for the clarification. No idea where I´ve heard it. 

14 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I only have to have the 400k two months before I apply for an extension of stay? I have heard it´s 3 months. 

It was 3 months, It changed this year to only 2 months. i have just changed from retirement to marriage went 3 weeks before,home visit 5 days after, called me 1 day before i had to report, fill out tm47 and hey presto got the visa and not 200 copies it was only 60 :cheesy:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

It was 3 months, It changed this year to only 2 months.

Not correct. For marriage it has been 2 months for over a decade.

Retirement was changed from 3 months to 2 months on March 1st of this year.

I would like to add something about UK Immigration System: -

In 2017, my friend wanted a South African to work in his company  based in London. Immigration never asked any photocopy, only the real documents first time. They scanned and returned back. And every year have to take just few original documents 1 - Passport/  2 - Relevant Company Employment Letter. (with some supporting documents as well)

No photocopies., No visits. No extra work. and the process is repeated every year. and on 5th year the worker is eligible for Permanent residence. And in England system is so strong they can track and trace any worker within couple of hours.

If Thai Immigration would have been strong enough they would have dealt the situation in a better way. Unfortunately they are just firing their guns by using shoulder of foreigners. Do they think the criminals would be dealt like this way. Unfortunately Never. They have to mobilize their officers to work in field instead of sitting in offices. + collaborating with local/regional police offices. There is no coordination between Immigration DIV 2, Regional Immigration/Police Offices.

TM47 and TM30 is just the weak oriented system output of Thailand Immigration. People at the desk cannot speak ENGLISH to understand foreigners. I wonder what changes these guys will bring to the system.