BANGKOK
SenorJorge

Thailand escapees: Where did you go, why, and how do you like it

Three secret tunnels are currently under construction from Pattaya, Tom being dug to Cambodia, Dick to Laos and Harry to Vietnam. Progress is good but with constant headcounts{TM30s} not quite as quickly as expected

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Pattayabeerbacon said:

One thing that bothers me is immigrants here in australia.

One indian who i met in the city came and befriended me for a couple days and on the third day asked me if i had a dollar for coffee as he didnt want to break a 50$ I sayed to him that i dont carry cash.

Am guessing this is a bit of racist troll baiting.   Most panhandlers in western countries are natives of those countries, not immigrants.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oww said:

I visited luang prabang twice and loved it. Lovely atmosphere and people. Actually considering moving there. The thing I noticed which holds me back...the "best" supermarket/mall was like an old warehouse with mostly Chinese imported foods that looked like they had been sitting on the shelves for months. If your used to the imported goodies at Rimping supermarket I just don't know how you can survive there. Granted there are fine bakeries and coffee shops but for imported groceries I didn't see anything. I would have to eat out at restaurants most of the time.

Great town!

Food, well if restaurants can sell good food, they are buying good products. Find out from where. There are top class restaurants there, in fact 20 years ago there was. 

• Like 1

I just completed (yesterday) my relocation to Luang Prabang, north Laos.

I had been living in Thailand since 2002, with working breaks in Luang Prabang and in Burma.

I had an Elite 5-year visa which was soon to expire.  At 60 years old, I didn't want to tie up 800,000 baht on a retirement 'visa', nor put down another 500,000 baht for the Elite visa.  IMHO, Thailand has changed significantly from when I first moved here, and I do not appreciate the xenophobia from the current government and from their officers.

I teach online, which is really not allowed on an Elite visa.  I also teach for free in the local community, and again that's not strictly legal on that visa.

I want to feel welcomed in the country where I reside, and there's no welcome for me in Thailand nowadays

I moved back to Luang Prabang because it suits my lifestyle.  I rent a 200 year old, 130 square metre hardwood house in the UNESCO protected old town, just seconds from a wide range of cafes, restaurants and bars.  I was out jogging at 4.30 am this morning along the safe roads in the old town - no vicious dogs, no fast cars, no trucks.

I went shopping to compare prices.  Imported goods are slightly more expensive than Thailand, but fresh fruit and vegetables are cheaper.  I ate in the night market last night ==> all you can eat veggie food for the equivalent of 50 baht.

My one year visa with work permit costs me about 14,000 baht, no money needed in the bank, no 90 day report, no TM30 etc.  I will start community teaching this weekend while my paid online teaching is during the week.

I have no regrets, other than I wish I had left Thailand years ago

Good luck to you Simon. I remember meeting you in your soi 1 ale house many moons ago when you just arrived in Bangkok. I think you may have even bought me a beverage.

16 hours ago, moe666 said:

Excuse me you thought Thailand was bad wait till you hit India, dogs, cattle, monkes, dirt and garbage stacked a mile high, horns blaring, and the runs every time you blink. Been there a few times and no reason to go back. You can get a ten year visa but you have to leave the country every 6 months.

I lived in India recently for over three years on a work VISA. Still pretty much the same as the Movie "Outsourced" except much more filthy and the Garbage has accumulated a lot since the last flood. The constant Honking, the vast corruption on every level, the crappy daily living in the dirt and dust. The horrible air quality, the people living on the streets and the gutter, the lack of clean water and sewage system. The masses of people that are impossible to get away from. The ignorance most Indians is sad, but somewhat admirable. I was constantly told how India has the greatest this and that...When it is simply that they do not know anything else and everyone believes what they are told by the government run press.

When I retired, my Indian co-workers could not believe it, how could I move away from such a utopian place that is India? I told them stories of a life away from India which many did not believe. Freeways where there are no potholes and you can drive 120k for hundreds of kilometers and never see a cow, goat or buffalo, slow moving Auto Rickshaw (tuk tuk) or even other people on the road.

My wife and I built a retirement "villa" which has water harvesting and clean RO filtered water, never out of a bottle. Solar to offset some of the electric cost of running a pool pump all day. We have a nice pool and municipal electricity that stays on most of the time except an occasional storm brownout. We also have 100mbit internet and Garbage service weekly. All utilities at a reasonable cost. I could be describing many western countries outside of India, but we chose to live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Yes I think the regulations related to the retirement VISA and the treatment of Foreigners here by the government is a little overboard, but I can put up with it for my style of living here.

Will we be leaving? I think going back to my yearly family reunion in Seattle every summer is going to be good enough for now.

• Like 2

You obviously haven't seen the t shirt..."Good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to Pattaya!"

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Your last paragraph. When in Rome. Can you give me an example of an unwrtten rule.

If you want to live in Thailand, you should obey all their rules, unwritten or not.

I think that if any Farang wants to live in Thailand, they should always obey all the rules.

This was only tongue in cheek, just a wind up, for a certain posters benefit, regular posters will know about my attitude towards obeying peoples rules and the TM30 nonsense.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:17 PM, simon43 said:

I moved back to Luang Prabang because it suits my lifestyle.  I rent a 200 year old, 130 square metre hardwood house in the UNESCO protected old town, just seconds from a wide range of cafes, restaurants and bars. 

How much is the rent?

Is your rent typical?