Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

1 year free visa for Chinese and Indian tourists to be proposed to cabinet

Recommended Posts

The main reason why the main land Chinese are coming less to Thailand is the problems between China and the US. Even though the Chinese government statistics are questionable, the Chinese GDP is around 2%, the lowest in years. The Chinese currency is devalued to counteract the US tariffs. Last the unemployment is up. China is been hurt by the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All fine in Thailand then ..... the cabinet has to decide on this?

 

Honestly, are there no other issues of more urgent attention to the cabinet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vietnam been doing this for 5 years now so thailand trying to jump on the bandwagon monkey see monkey do right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in India for a couple of years. During this time I also visited Malaysia monthly as we also had a large factory there.

 

It's true many Indians like to visit Malaysia which has a large mainly South Indian ethnic population. It's also true that many many overstayed and tried to work and live there. If you arrived in KLIA behind an Indian flight the immigration would be longer because the officers were diligently checking for where staying, return flight, funds etc etc.

 

Maybe not the same nowadays as that was 16 years ago. But I somehow think that they might suddenly find the Indian population here increasing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

 

 

Maybe not the same nowadays as that was 16 years ago. But I somehow think that they might suddenly find the Indian population here increasing!

And just about all of them want to open a Indian restaurant..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 4:22 AM, garyk said:

I am a little confused why numbers from India are up? Anyone have a clue why?

I seem to remember a few years back that TAT stated a change in policy that they would be directing marketing to Asia rather than the west, and in particular India. They made some comments about too many drunk westerners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 4:22 AM, garyk said:

I am a little confused why numbers from India are up? Anyone have a clue why?

Bobs and vagene 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To make things a bit clearer to addled brains posting here the waiver of 2000 baht visa fee will attract tourists to make more trips to Thailand. The visa fee might appear small in USD terms but in rupee terms it's about Rs.5000. Anyway it's equivalent to 2 days' room tariff in a decent economy-class Bangkok hotel.  And as the baht continues to strengthen that equation only gets tougher whether it's the dollar, yuan or rupee. Abolishing visa fee is a measure that should be applied to all nationalities. That would help boost overall arrivals. But wait for the alcohol to drain out before you wrap your head around such simplicities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Thailand now following Vietnam's example. As from January 2019, visitors from 24 countries worldwide are exempt from needing a tourist visa if staying in Vietnam LESS THAN 15 DAYS. These countries include the UK, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden and ASEAN members. For the full list see "Tourist Visa Exemptions Vietnam". For reference, the USA, Netherlands, Belgium, Australia and New Zealand are NOT on the list.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 6:37 PM, ousaou said:

The main reason why the main land Chinese are coming less to Thailand is the problems between China and the US. Even though the Chinese government statistics are questionable, the Chinese GDP is around 2%, the lowest in years. The Chinese currency is devalued to counteract the US tariffs. Last the unemployment is up. China is been hurt by the US.

Good morning Donald. Twitter down today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

So, Thailand now following Vietnam's example. As from January 2019, visitors from 24 countries worldwide are exempt from needing a tourist visa if staying in Vietnam LESS THAN 15 DAYS. These countries include the UK, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden and ASEAN members. For the full list see "Tourist Visa Exemptions Vietnam". For reference, the USA, Netherlands, Belgium, Australia and New Zealand are NOT on the list.

Vice versa actually. If you note the dates in the OP, this a proposed extension to a scheme embracing 19 countries which has been running since 6th November 2018.

 

I do think they should include Americans though, on condition that they spend the first 7 days of the 15 cleaning up all the devastation they left there in terms of unexploded ordnance and chemical agents which are still killing people daily. Same goes for Cambodia and Laos.

Edited by Traubert
Accuracy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect they will provide a new class of visa for asean + China. Suck in the mainland and HK Chinese.

 

1.5m THB in Bank + condo over 3m THB - quasi permanent residency. 5 year visas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...