'Collaborators' are undermining Britain's Brexit bet, PM says

webfact

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Becker said:

Aren't you?

No!  European is not an identity, it is a geographical area....... of which I am very fond.

I am English.

Then British.

Then (when I lived in the UK and Spain) European.

In that order.  ALWAYS in that order.

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I think Corbyn is suffering memory loss on the Labour party election manifesto.

Whyever not - after all, he never took a blind bit of notice of them all the time he was a back bench MP!

51 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

For the record I am one who fully expects, and accepts, that there is a price to pay for leaving the club (I have used the leaving a golf club analogy many times and I would expect to pay higher green fees than members would pay if I wanted to play at my old club).

OK, so now that you've cancelled your membership in that big G & CC right outside your door where all your friends and family go to play you'll need to get a membership somewhere else.

Right, let's see. There's that big, fancy club just a 10 hour drive away (let's call it Augusta just for fun) but the owner is a total p***k who will charge you an exorbitant membership fee and the annuals are gonna be just brutal. In addition the members are a bunch of total snobs who will treat you with utter contempt.

Any other alternatives? Well, there are small, dinky muni courses everywhere where you can go and play but sadly they're littered with unrepaired divots, got no club house, caddies, carts or marshals so you will be forever stuck behind a six ball of beer swilling 36 handicappers.

Enjoy!

2 minutes ago, Becker said:

OK, so now that you've cancelled your membership in that big G & CC right outside your door where all your friends and family go to play you'll need to get a membership somewhere else.

Right, let's see. There's that big, fancy club just a 10 hour drive away (let's call it Augusta just for fun) but the owner is a total p***k who will charge you an exorbitant membership fee and the annuals are gonna be just brutal. In addition the members are a bunch of total snobs who will treat you with utter contempt.

Any other alternatives? Well, there are small, dinky muni courses everywhere where you can go and play but sadly they're littered with unrepaired divots, got no club house, caddies, carts or marshals so you will be forever stuck behind a six ball of beer swilling 36 handicappers.

Enjoy!

What an awful, and unrealistic, attempt at an analogy.

If you want a better comparison, consider the single market and moving to WTO terms...

Remember these:-

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

No!  European is not an identity, it is a geographical area....... of which I am very fond.

I am English.

Then British.

Then (when I lived in the UK and Spain) European.

In that order.  ALWAYS in that order.

Asking if someone is European isn't asking about one's identity. Just like asking if someone is Asian, African etc.

Believing that makes you come across as very insecure.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

You're the one that started the "leaving the golf club" analogy.

I'd just thought i'd point that out so it's not drowned in the noise of your deflections.

1 minute ago, Becker said:

Asking if someone is European isn't asking about one's identity. Just like asking if someone is Asian, African etc.

Ask my wife if she is Asian, she will tell you she is Thai.

Clear identity - coupled with national pride.

You don't get that as a 'European'....... I suppose if you were insecure, or ashamed, of your home country.

You're the one that started the "leaving the golf club" analogy.

I'd just thought i'd point that out so it's not drowned in the noise of your deflections.

My analogy (it happened) was moving from one decent local golf course to another decent golf course.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

What is more, not only was the mandate announced by the referendum, it was confirmed by the last general election, on which the vast majority of MPs (Mr Hammond included yes?) stood on the platform of securing and carrying out that mandate; and subsequently confirmed by an act of parliament which made leaving the EU the law of the land. I believe Mr Hammond played a significant role in the government which introduced that act. I believe that he voted for it.

Is it any wonder that the "negotiations" that the Mrs May's government indulged in were as much of a sham as they were, if this duplicitous fellow was at the heart of that government.

In support of your comment, you will recall this:-

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Ask my wife if she is Asian, she will tell you she is Thai.

Clear identity - coupled with national pride.

You don't get that as a 'European'....... I suppose if you were insecure, or ashamed, of your home country.

I rather believe that almost nobody asks if she is Asian - for how she looks must make it obvious - except if she's an "eurasian". She might be more often asked if she's Chinese , and then, she answers she is Thai. 

I stopped believing politicians a very long time ago.

Some of my acquaintances believe/refer to what politicians says when it suit them.

Comparable to a newspaper :

" It must be correct, it was even written in the newspaper "

or

" Don't believe everything which is written in the newspapers "

5 minutes ago, Opl said:

I rather believe that almost nobody asks if she is Asian - for how she looks must make it obvious - except if she's an "eurasian". She might be more often asked if she's Chinese , and then, she answers she is Thai. 

I agree with that   -    but somebody else asked the question.

24 minutes ago, Becker said:

I believe if you met someone who identified as being Thai (as opposed to Asian), Irish (as opposed to European) or Mexican (as opposed to South American) then you wouldn't have an issue.

But you appear to have an issue with someone identifying as being English.

I suspect it is you that has the problem here.

27 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

If you want a better comparison, consider the single market and moving to WTO terms...

Remember these:-

So it looks like you're resigned to the UK not being allowed to join with a club called the USA.

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

So it looks like you're resigned to the UK not being allowed to join with a club called the USA.

Another pointless comment.

USA have always been the UK's closest ally and there will no doubt be a deal done there.

Just now, JonnyF said:

I believe if you met someone who identified as being Thai (as opposed to Asian), Irish (as opposed to European) or Mexican (as opposed to South American) then you wouldn't have an issue.

But you appear to have an issue with someone identifying as being English.

I suspect it is you that has the problem here.

I have no issues whatsoever with someone identifying themselves with their nationality. I do have an issue with people who answers the wrong question to make a political point.

E.g:

"Hi, are you European?"

"No, I'm British!"

1. The reply didn't answer the question.

2. The reply is factually wrong. The UK is a part of Europe.

I have no issues whatsoever with someone identifying themselves with their nationality. I do have an issue with people who answers the wrong question to make a political point.

E.g:

"Hi, are you European?"

"No, I'm British!"

1. The reply didn't answer the question.

2. The reply is factually wrong. The UK is a part of Europe.

You are confusing geography with national identity.

No, I am English/British always has been and always will be my answer.

Just now, Jip99 said:

Another pointless comment.

USA have always been the UK's closest ally and there will no doubt be a deal done there.

Yes, and the negotiations will be between two equal partners where The Most Equal Partner has nothing but understanding and goodwill for The Least Equal Partner's needs!

And in other news from the Twilight Zone....

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You are confusing geography with national identity.

No, I am English/British always has been and always will be my answer.

Then you are confused by pretty simple and straightforward questions.

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...'Collaborators' are undermining Britain's Brexit bet, PM says..."

"Collaborators"? Really? Why not label your opponents 'Traitorous Back-Stabbers'? Or 'Enemies of the State'? Or go on about how they have 'Betrayed the People'? Or worse (history can provide some of the more vile and odious phraseology)?

Hey UK! Do you realize that after you are done ripping yourselves apart, you will need to mend the differences and work as a team again? Especially when you have driven away your largest markets and many of your friends, partners, allies and acquaintances?

I have said it before and will say it again...

Never before have I seen a country so utterly determined to shoot itself in the crotch

Well keep saying it cos I don't care what you say...Where are you from....?

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

'Boris wants a reasonable deal,'

Finally, someone who knows what Boris Johnson wants in respect to Brexit. Could you please share with the rest of the world what this "reasonable deal" would look like?

Maybe he could start by putting on the negotiating table a comprehensive draft text of an agreement that would be acceptable for the UK. Because the past three years have proven that you don’t get what you want by only telling what you do not want.......... 

9 minutes ago, damascase said:

Maybe he could start by putting on the negotiating table a comprehensive draft text for an agreement that would be acceptable for the UK. Because the past three years have proven that you don’t get what you want by only telling what you do not want.......... 

We do not want to leave with German apron strings still in place....Out means out...

15 minutes ago, damascase said:

Maybe he could start by putting on the negotiating table a comprehensive draft text of an agreement that would be acceptable for the UK. Because the past three years have proven that you don’t get what you want by only telling what you do not want.......... 

If you recall, back in November 18, Johnson and the ‘Brexiteers’ were touting their alternative Plan B.

It was never delivered.

Now Johnson is accountable to deliver on his hollow promises and of course he’s blaming everyone else.

Archived