U.S.-British trade pact won't pass Congress if Good Friday deal harmed - Pelosi

webfact

9 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Makes you wonder whether Ms Pelosi has been receiving funding from ne'er do wells in the Boston area. Funny how the IRA were allowed to openly fund raise for all those years. Interesting to give this tree a good shake and see what falls out. Great timing too, coming up to the crucial 2020 election.

Indeed, she should act like a good American politician and only accept monies from domestic organisations which condone violence on a regular basis. Like the NRA.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S.-British trade pact won't pass Congress

Since Trump has been in office, has he had any trade deal ratified by Congress?

Although the renegotiated US-South Korea Trade Agreement was completed in 2018, I find no indication that it has been ratified by Congress.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Since Trump has been in office, has he had any trade deal ratified by Congress?

Although the renegotiated US-South Korea Trade Agreement was completed in 2018, I find no indication that it has been ratified by Congress.

Apparently, for reasons that I have found no explanation for, the deal doesn't have to be approved by Congress. Maybe because it's just an update of the previous 2007 deal?

"The agreement does not need congressional approval to take effect. But it still must clear political hurdles in South Korea — a process that could get complicated, Ms. Cutler said, if Mr. Trump’s administration recommends new tariffs on foreign-made automobiles, which could hit Korean automakers particularly hard. Mr. Trump has continually threatened to impose tariffs on cars and car parts, though he has yet to put those into effect."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/us/politics/south-korea-trump-trade-deal.html

It was approved by South Korea in December of 2018

https://www.ustrademonitor.com/2018/12/south-korea-approves-updated-trade-agreement/

That said, after all his denunciations of the previous agreement, it actually differs very little from it.

https://www.cato.org/publications/free-trade-bulletin/trumps-first-trade-deal-slightly-revised-korea-us-free-trade

Before it surrendered Singapore to  Japanese soldiers on bicycles. The Japanese were outnumbered by huge numbers of British troops and incompetent British officers. This was when Britain ceased to be great

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure Boris will tell the US that he doesn't need them. Like he does not need the EU. No Deal! Do or die!

And maybe he should tell China to stay away from HK, I am sure that will help to have a great future with them.

Take control and make the UK great again, or something like that. Remind me, when was the last time Great Britain was great? 

Probably when it sacrificed thousands of lives and huge amounts of money so countries like yours could be free to take the piss.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Before it surrendered Singapore to  Japanese soldiers on bicycles. The Japanese were outnumbered by huge numbers of British troops and incompetent British officers. This was when Britain ceased to be great

The general in charge of Singapore was indeed incompetent. The ones who kicked the Japanese <deleted> in Burma weren't. Just like some Americans senior officers in Vietnam (and French officers there too); whilst others like Ike were brilliant.

But without Britain, America, France and their allies, you'd be living under tyrannical German Nazi or Imperial Japanese totalitarian regimes; or not living depending on your race, religion or political views.

Donald needs trade agreements with any country that is foolish enough to do a deal with the "Stable Genius" who claims trade wars are easily one. He has one year to find support from any country if he has any hope of continuing as president. The farmers and other agriculturists are all rethinking their choices in 2020 as they go broke, US consumers are now starting to feel the bite of tariffs that the Chinese are going to pay. (We will delay the tariffs till after Christmas so as not to effect the Christmas shopping season) Never knew Chinese believed or celebrated  Christmas.

9 hours ago, cooked said:

That's a description that would fit many countries, including the UK and US. 

Can you give examples of where politicians have been arrested, murdered, disappeared, or blocked in some other way from standing in elections in the UK or US?

If not, then retract your comment.

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good on Pelosi for her backbone opposing the insanity of a no deal Brexit! You might say it's none of her business. OK. Then it's none of 45's business either shilling for a no deal Brexit.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ah, so you support and applaud Pelosi, a democrat, for meddling in the affairs of another country. But she had a good example as Obama also did.

But weren't so keen to support anyone meddling in the US!

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Ah, so you support and applaud Pelosi, a democrat, for meddling in the affairs of another country. But she had a good example as Obama also did.

But weren't so keen to support anyone meddling in the US!

But Pelosi is not meddling in the affairs of another country. A trade agreement between 2 nations is by definition international. The Congress has every right to decide what is and what is not in the best interests of the USA. The UK can no more dictate to Congress what is and is not an illegitimate concern than can the USA do so to Parliament.

This is just another reason Boris' plan (such as it is) will prove a disaster.  I'm getting ever more depressed with the daily assertions that the US will be our faithful trading buddy - hasn't it occurred to anyone that (a) Trump lies through his teeth when it suits him, (b) That as we will be over a barrel, the likelihood of getting anything approaching a fair relationship is probably down to a single figure in percentage terms and (c) Manufacturers and farmers forced to rely on US customers may have to adopt different standards to get the business which you can bet will be an expensive and painful exercise.

????

23 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

Like Napoleon, the German army was defeated by the Red Army on the Russian front.

Mmm, your wrong on two counts there...

Both Napoleon and the Nazis were defeated by the Russian winter conditions in the main

I could also say that prior to opening the second front in WWII the Russians were being supplied with food and armaments via Artic convoys through Archangel by Guess Who? but I think the points been made...

9 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well done an American telling the UK what they should do. Also well done for you being non British telling the UK what to do. And people wonder why the UK is leaving the EU.

I don't listen to what she has to say. Who ever breaks the Good Friday Agreement (not that any one would) will have no public support and would be condemned internationally and locally.

Maybe Pelosi just likes to ensure that the campaign to fund IRA terrorism starts up again.

Friends don't let friends drive off a cliff or do no deal Brexit, IF they can help it. 

Sorry, but to most of the world this Brexit thing even with a deal seems INSANE. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Friends don't let friends drive off a cliff or do no deal Brexit, IF they can help it. 

Sorry, but to most of the world this Brexit thing even with a deal seems INSANE. 

No it is not insane to most of the world. Most of the world is not in the EU, so sorry to burst your bubble on that. Countries should be allowed democratically to join or leave an organisation and others shouldn't be telling those, what to do.

\We tried the EEC which wasn't a bad idea but then morphed into the United States of Europe or what is known as the EU. People had a chance to vote in a binary referendum. Leave won. That is the end of it.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Probably when it sacrificed thousands of lives and huge amounts of money so countries like yours could be free to take the piss.

You forgot to mention that they only do this because they want to bring freedom and democracy to the rest of the world. 555

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No it is not insane to most of the world. Most of the world is not in the EU, so sorry to burst your bubble on that. Countries should be allowed democratically to join or leave an organisation and others shouldn't be telling those, what to do.

\We tried the EEC which wasn't a bad idea but then morphed into the United States of Europe or what is known as the EU. People had a chance to vote in a binary referendum. Leave won. That is the end of it.

No, that wasn't the end of it, was it? Ha ha! That's another reason the world thinks Brexit is insane. It won narrowly based on blatant lying. The majority of the future of the U.K. (younger people) was for remain. The prospect of going ahead seriously threatens breaking up the U letter in the U.K. Why do you people want to destroy the future of your own country? Seems INSANE. 

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No, that wasn't the end of it, was it? Ha ha! That's another reason the world thinks Brexit is insane. It won narrowly based on blatant lying. The majority of the future of the U.K. were for remain. The prospect of going ahead seriously threatens breaking up the U letter in the U.K. Why do you people want to destroy the future of your own country? Seems INSANE. 

No that's what you EU luvvies would like to see the UK split up. Ha ha, It isn't going to happen. I am sure you Germans will fill the coffers that are going to be shortened without our contribution. 

Yes, maybe a no deal will have an impact on the economy. A price worth paying to be bale to trade freely with the rest of the world.

I am looking forward to the next country leaving the EU.

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No that's what you EU luvvies would like to see the UK split up. Ha ha, It isn't going to happen. I am sure you Germans will fill the coffers that are going to be shortened without our contribution. 

Yes, maybe a no deal will have an impact on the economy. A price worth paying to be bale to trade freely with the rest of the world.

Wunderbar!

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Maybe you are familiar with the German word "Schadenfreude". Taking pleasure from the misfortune of others. This is generally considered to be a mean-spirited and vindictive thing to do. 

I am informed by the wide range of farangs from rEU countries that I meet here, that the ongoing disaster of Brexit has significantly decreased the chances of their own country doing anything quite so stunningly stupid.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:27 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Remind me, when was the last time Great Britain was great? 

Must have been before my time. I was trained to work on the RAF's fleet of British built aircraft and in 1970 was stationed near Dubai when Britain policed the area, remnants of a Great British era. Unfortunately in the background during the 60s the country had developed a life threatening cancer and it took several years of eurotherapy to get into remission.

In 2016 a decision was taken to terminate treatment and Britain is once again the sick man of Europe.

19 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well done an American telling the UK what they should do. Also well done for you being non British telling the UK what to do. And people wonder why the UK is leaving the EU.

I don't listen to what she has to say. Who ever breaks the Good Friday Agreement (not that any one would) will have no public support and would be condemned internationally and locally.

Maybe Pelosi just likes to ensure that the campaign to fund IRA terrorism starts up again.

I have to assume your last comment also includes the other countries that contribute.

The US House of Representatives has passed a bill that doubles funding for the International Fund for Ireland to $1.5m from $750,000.

The International Fund for Ireland is an independent organisation that supports economic regeneration and social development projects in areas most affected by the decades of violence in Northern Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0619/1056390-us-votes-to-increase-irish-funding/

54 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Certifiable....

12 hours ago, gamini said:

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The general in charge of Singapore was indeed incompetent. The ones who kicked the Japanese <deleted> in Burma weren't. Just like some Americans senior officers in Vietnam (and French officers there too); whilst others like Ike were brilliant.

But without Britain, America, France and their allies, you'd be living under tyrannical German Nazi or Imperial Japanese totalitarian regimes; or not living depending on your race, religion or political views.

10 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Like Napoleon, the German army was defeated by the Red Army on the Russian front.

10 hours ago, Lokie said:

Mmm, your wrong on two counts there...

Both Napoleon and the Nazis were defeated by the Russian winter conditions in the main

I could also say that prior to opening the second front in WWII the Russians were being supplied with food and armaments via Artic convoys through Archangel by Guess Who? but I think the points been made...

Two little points that I feel are relevant to this.

1) Useless as the British high command was, the main problem was that the massive Singapore guns were all pointing out to sea, it hadn't occurred to anyone that they might be attacked from the other side.

2) The winter was much less of a factor for the German army than it was for Napoleon. The crucial battle was at Kursk - the largest tank battle in history. Huge numbers were involved, the German counter attack was stopped. It is widely acknowledged by military historians to be the turning point of the war. 25 million lost their lives on the Russian front. In ww11 80 Russians were killed for every 1 American.   

Saying "without Britain, America, France and their allies" may be a mistake, but it looks like a thoughtless omission as the result of rabid Anglo-centricity.  When oh God when, are we going to wake up, extract out heads from our smug <deleted>, and be humble enough to accept that sometimes others have done more than us.

My Uncle served on the Arctic convoys, utter hell from what he said, take your gloves off and you froze to the railings virtually instantaneously. Sure our help was not insignificant, but in the overall Russian war effort not a major factor. 

The merits or demerits of Brexit are besides the point. The fact is that Brexiters have been claiming that a new trade agreeement with the USA would be signed in short order once the UK was free from the clutches of the EU. Looks like that ain't likely. And not just because of the House Democrats.  And remember when it was forecast that Japan and the UK would shortly comes to terms and once Brexit was in effect, they would be signing a new trade agreement. Turns out that Japan is taking a much tougher stance than predicted. Does anyone not think that just possibly the Japanese recognize the weak position the UK is in? The UK government is now conceding that an agreement won't be ready in time for a  Nov 1 brexit.

So that means the worlds #1 and #3 nations are out of play. That leaves #2, China. Good luck with that.

And it should be pointed out that as far as the USA is concerned, tariffs are already very low for most products from the EU. So this notion that a trade agreement is going to help fuel a massive surge in demand for UK goods is nonsense.

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Maybe you are familiar with the German word "Schadenfreude". Taking pleasure from the misfortune of others. This is generally considered to be a mean-spirited and vindictive thing to do. 

I am informed by the wide range of farangs from rEU countries that I meet here, that the ongoing disaster of Brexit has significantly decreased the chances of their own country doing anything quite so stunningly stupid.

Where am I taking pleasure form others misfortunes! Leaving the EU is a blessing. I am sure if other EU countries have a chance to vote out they would. Even Juncker the drunk has admitted that.

I am not against Europeans. I really liked Germany and lived there. The French, Italians etc etc lovely people. It is the EU that I am against.

How on earth do all those countries who are outside of the EU cope and go on living. The stupid thing is being in the EU.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Where am I taking pleasure form others misfortunes! Leaving the EU is a blessing. I am sure if other EU countries have a chance to vote out they would. Even Juncker the drunk has admitted that.

I am not against Europeans. I really liked Germany and lived there. The French, Italians etc etc lovely people. It is the EU that I am against.

How on earth do all those countries who are outside of the EU cope and go on living. The stupid thing is being in the EU.

The stupid thing is ignoring what the leader of the US Congress has said while believing Bolton is discussing trade deals and anything at all that Johnson says.

45 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I have to assume your last comment also includes the other countries that contribute.

The US House of Representatives has passed a bill that doubles funding for the International Fund for Ireland to $1.5m from $750,000.

The International Fund for Ireland is an independent organisation that supports economic regeneration and social development projects in areas most affected by the decades of violence in Northern Ireland.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0619/1056390-us-votes-to-increase-irish-funding/

Sandy you have told us you are Scottish and European and not British as that title is forced upon you. You were happy that as a United Kingdom we voted to join the EEC (EU) but you are unhappy that when we voted to leave as a United Kingdom that if regions choose not too leave, they should be respected. Isn't that so hypocritical.

Well as we are talking about the USA why bring other countries into it.

Archived