U.S.-British trade pact won't pass Congress if Good Friday deal harmed - Pelosi

webfact

19 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Where am I taking pleasure form others misfortunes! Leaving the EU is a blessing. I am sure if other EU countries have a chance to vote out they would. Even Juncker the drunk has admitted that.

EU people readily accept that loosing UK would be unfortunate. Many people in the UK believe that as well. So by definition it is bound to be considered a negative outcome by most of those involved, if this were to happen to another EU country, both to the EU, and to that country. That's what you looked forward to. Who are you going to direct your anger towards if we are not in the EU, who can you blame for everything that goes wrong in the UK.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bristolboy said:

"The agreement does not need congressional approval to take effect.

Yes, any new or amended trade agreement merely requires the approval of both Heads of Government to "take effect." But until an agreement is binding (aka enforceable), it must be ratified by respective governments in the agreement (in U.S. case the Congress).

Otherwise, the agreement is just a gentleman's agreement. It can be canceled by simple Head of Government declaration (ie., POTUS Trump Presidential Order). Conversely, the next U.S. president following Trump can by Presidential Order cancel or alter Trump's unratified trade agreements.

As another consequence, any U.S. international trade agreement that is not ratified by Congress ultimately is a waste of government resources and time. And thus far, that's where the Trump administration is at on its trade agreement negotiations - waste.

Held to ransom again by those few religious, bigoted, criminals in Northern Ireland and their many apologists in the Republic and in the UK Parliament. Unite the Island of Ireland and pass the issue on to them to sort out. Enough already 

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Held to ransom again by those few religious, bigoted, criminals in Northern Ireland and their many apologists in the Republic and in the UK Parliament. Unite the Island of Ireland and pass the issue on to them to sort out. Enough already 

The Tories bought a lifeline from the DUP with over a £Billion of tax payer’s money.

The lifeline they bought had a sharp and barbed hook at both ends.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The stupid thing is ignoring what the leader of the US Congress has said while believing Bolton is discussing trade deals and anything at all that Johnson says.

Pelosi can say what she wants, even if she was able to make a trade deal problematic she won't be there forever.

Obama said we'd be at the back of the queue as well. He's irrelevant now. As Pelosi will be.

9 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

EU people readily accept that loosing UK would be unfortunate. Many people in the UK believe that as well. So by definition it is bound to be considered a negative outcome by most of those involved, if this were to happen to another EU country, both to the EU, and to that country. That's what you looked forward to. Who are you going to direct your anger towards if we are not in the EU, who can you blame for everything that goes wrong in the UK.  

I don't believe the EU is a good entity and it has lied and connived countries from a small trading bloc into the federalisation of the EU. The likes of Greece, Italy to name a few are not reaping benefits from the EU.

I am not angry at those who are in the EU. More fool for most of them who can't stand up for their country and government and roll over, when they do vote to leave or on an important treaty, they just get ignored.

I get angry when non Brits and Europeans keep telling us what a  mistake we have made and we should ignore a democratic referendum result. Comprende.

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Saying "without Britain, America, France and their allies" may be a mistake, but it looks like a thoughtless omission as the result of rabid Anglo-centricity.  When oh God when, are we going to wake up, extract out heads from our smug <deleted>, and be humble enough to accept that sometimes others have done more than us.

"Done more" when the Russians were Hitler's allies at the start of the war and participated in the invasion of Poland or later, after they got bit by the snake they were carrying on their shoulders?

47 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Pelosi can say what she wants, even if she was able to make a trade deal problematic she won't be there forever.

Obama said we'd be at the back of the queue as well. He's irrelevant now. As Pelosi will be.

Wishful thinking is no substitute for facing the facts. On the issues facing Congress, Democrats are much more popular than Republicans. As the last election showed. And just because you're all fired up about Trump, that doesn't mean he's going to be in office after Jan 20, 2021.

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Sandy you have told us you are Scottish and European and not British as that title is forced upon you. You were happy that as a United Kingdom we voted to join the EEC (EU) but you are unhappy that when we voted to leave as a United Kingdom that if regions choose not too leave, they should be respected. Isn't that so hypocritical.

Well as we are talking about the USA why bring other countries into it.

Your first comment is out of order and quite irrelevant.

You made a derogatory comment regarding funding from the USA to Ireland and several other countries contribute to that funding, so was your comment aimed at all countries that fund Ireland or just the USA?

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

Your first comment is out of order and quite irrelevant.

You made a derogatory comment regarding funding from the USA to Ireland and several other countries contribute to that funding, so was your comment aimed at all countries that fund Ireland or just the USA?

No its not out of order at all. You said it and I hadn't commented on it yet. If you didn't say it, which you know you did then it would be different. It shows that you are anti UK which is often reflected in your posts.

The thread talks about the USA. if you want to discuss others that fund the IRA, then start one and i would be very happy to contribute.

22 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Sandy you have told us you are Scottish and European and not British as that title is forced upon you. You were happy that as a United Kingdom we voted to join the EEC (EU) but you are unhappy that when we voted to leave as a United Kingdom that if regions choose not too leave, they should be respected. Isn't that so hypocritical.

Totally out of order.

"You were happy that as a United Kingdom we voted to join the EEC (EU)"

A classic example of a brexiteer making an assumption and then making out it is fact, the height of arrogance to assume you know what makes people happy.

Where the UK joined the EC, I along with everyone else had absolutely no idea what that would entail. The one thing that I do know is that the UK was sick and could not continue declaring a state of emergency year after year. Joining the EC had to be for the better, couldn't make things worse. On leaving the service I went into the manufacturing sector and exported globally. I handled all export documentation myself so have first hand experience on how the introduction of the single market was of tremendous benefit to UK exporters and confirmed that parliament had taken the right decision in 1972.

"not British as that title is forced upon you."

Taken out of context Everyone that is born in the UK has British Citizen in their identity document, whether they like it or not, and another assumption that there was some deep rooted objection. In 1975 I extended my service to 22 years, hardly a move that would be made by some that wasn't happy to serve in the British Armed Forces. In 1977 I PVR'd for personal reasons, still have close ties to the service and attend the RAF Halton reunions.

I have never really been in favour of Scottish independence but the rhetoric from the brexiteers has made me reconsider that position which I realise is against brexit doctrine, changing ones mind is not an option.

Apologies for going off topic but felt the personal attack should be clarified.

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The thread talks about the USA. if you want to discuss others that fund the IRA, then start one and i would be very happy to contribute.

Obviously you stand by your allegation that funding from the US to Ireland is to support IRA terrorism.

55 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Totally out of order.

"You were happy that as a United Kingdom we voted to join the EEC (EU)"

A classic example of a brexiteer making an assumption and then making out it is fact, the height of arrogance to assume you know what makes people happy.

Where the UK joined the EC, I along with everyone else had absolutely no idea what that would entail. The one thing that I do know is that the UK was sick and could not continue declaring a state of emergency year after year. Joining the EC had to be for the better, couldn't make things worse. On leaving the service I went into the manufacturing sector and exported globally. I handled all export documentation myself so have first hand experience on how the introduction of the single market was of tremendous benefit to UK exporters and confirmed that parliament had taken the right decision in 1972.

"not British as that title is forced upon you."

Taken out of context Everyone that is born in the UK has British Citizen in their identity document, whether they like it or not, and another assumption that there was some deep rooted objection. In 1975 I extended my service to 22 years, hardly a move that would be made by some that wasn't happy to serve in the British Armed Forces. In 1977 I PVR'd for personal reasons, still have close ties to the service and attend the RAF Halton reunions.

I have never really been in favour of Scottish independence but the rhetoric from the brexiteers has made me reconsider that position which I realise is against brexit doctrine, changing ones mind is not an option.

Apologies for going off topic but felt the personal attack should be clarified.

TBH the highlighted section is more or less me in the other direction, except that i'm ???????????????????????????? (????????) and feel it's high time the ???????????????????????????? had their own Parliament as they are increasingly hamstrung by the current inequality.

(The only Country in the whole of Europe in such a ridiculous position)

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

TBH the highlighted section is more or less me in the other direction, except that i'm ???????????????????????????? (????????) and feel it's high time the ???????????????????????????? had their own Parliament as they are increasingly hamstrung by the current inequality.

(The only Country in the whole of Europe in such a ridiculous position)

Quite, England has by far the largest percentage of the UK population so there is little doubt that the UK as a whole does what England wants and that created a serious problem in Ireland many years ago. Brexit is a serious game changer and has probably led to a widespread change in views.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

Adams and McGuinness B&B'ed in the White House long before anyone yelled "Ease Springs!"

A bit irrelevant. The comment was deliberately inflammatory and continually bringing up the past will will do little to resolve the current Irish problem or relieve tension.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But the lemmings do not known how to dance the Sailors Hornpipe

I'm positive that somewhere, out there on the net, there's a clip of lemmings dancing the Sailors Hornpipe. Got to be.

On 8/16/2019 at 5:10 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Where am I taking pleasure form others misfortunes! Leaving the EU is a blessing. I am sure if other EU countries have a chance to vote out they would. Even Juncker the drunk has admitted that.

I am not against Europeans. I really liked Germany and lived there. The French, Italians etc etc lovely people. It is the EU that I am against.

How on earth do all those countries who are outside of the EU cope and go on living. The stupid thing is being in the EU.

If you lived and enjoyed the life outside your little island then you enjoyed to cross borders without visas and paying in one currency only. You were feeling like living within one country. 

How the hell then you can write such rubbish about leaving EU??? 

It's an institution bringing prosperity  and support to all member states within an area of democracy. 

10 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you lived and enjoyed the life outside your little island then you enjoyed to cross borders without visas and paying in one currency only. You were feeling like living within one country. 

It's an institution bringing prosperity  and support to all member states within an area of democracy. 

Is this why 50% of Germans think the EU will be finished in a little over 10 years time

32 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

- Your own 'little island' is considerably smaller than the one you're continuously slagging off.

- The single currency didn't commence til the mid 90s. Prior to then I experienced no probs living in Germany as I had a German bank a/c and was paid in DMs. I suspect LG and others will confirm same.

- Eire will probably beat Italy in being next to leave.

How do you get on when you head North or travel to Grrreattt Britain?

8 minutes ago, evadgib said:

- Your own 'little island' is considerably smaller than the one you're continuously slagging off.

- The single currency didn't commence til the mid 90s. Prior to then I experienced no probs living in Germany as I had a German bank a/c and was paid in DMs. I suspect LG and others will confirm same.

- Eire will probably beat Italy in being next to leave.

How do you get on when you head North or travel to Great Britain?

Sorry, I didn't know you talk about last century. 

And I never entered GREAT Britain. Just passing your island on the way to the continent. It might have been great at times of Lancelot. Maybe you remember or met him? ????

27 minutes ago, zorrow424 said:

Is this why 50% of Germans think the EU will be finished in a little over 10 years time

Oh dear, you were reading about the Neo-Nazis. These ultra right wings sure try to destroy everything not having any plan what to build up then. 

And the clairvoyants talking about a period around 2040. 

And..... It was the Guardian. This says all. 

At 2040 you would not see me here on TV anymore..... But wait, maybe to say farewell to this little island.... at present the name is still UK, but clairvoyants told me the U will be missing soon ????????????????

13 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Sorry, I didn't know you talk about last century. 

And I never entered GREAT Britain. Just passing your island on the way to the continent. It might have been great at times of Lancelot. Maybe you remember or met him? ????

I think is was just called England then Seamus ????

Anyhow, I'm off to practice my Hornpipe...

Archived