U.S.-British trade pact won't pass Congress if Good Friday deal harmed - Pelosi

webfact

6 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

She should keep her nose out of British politics cannot remember america helping in the troubles other than raseing money for the IRA.

I take it that when you refer to ‘america’ you intend to mean the United States of America (USA).

Pelosi is directly challenging Trump’s interference in Brexit, Britain and the EU.

The United States government never funded the IRA, though very many people in the USA made private donations to the IRA.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

She should keep her nose out of British politics cannot remember america helping in the troubles other than raseing money for the IRA.

By your standards, the UK is guilty of supporting Isis. Not just money has been donated by UK citizens, but some of them have actually volunteered to fight for it.

10 hours ago, evadgib said:

- Your own 'little island' is considerably smaller than the one you're continuously slagging off.

- The single currency didn't commence til the mid 90s. Prior to then I experienced no probs living in Germany as I had a German bank a/c and was paid in DMs. I suspect LG and others will confirm same.

- Eire will probably beat Italy in being next to leave.

How do you get on when you head North or travel to Grrreattt Britain?

It was 11.4DM to the pound when I first went to Germany, paid in DM, banked at the Sparkasse and got petrol with coupons.

Why would Eire want to leave the EU, who would provide the lost funding, just not in their interest.

As for Italy, if push came to shove they would stick with the status quo. Having seen the brexit chaos do you really think any other country will tread the same path.

The International Fund for Ireland was established as an independent organisation by the British and Irish Governments in 1986 with financial contributions from the United States of America, the European Union, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

https://www.internationalfundforireland.com/

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The United States government never funded the IRA, though very many people in the USA made private donations to the IRA.

The Kennedy's were up to their necks in it but I don't really want to go down that road in a month marking such significant anniversaries.

20 minutes ago, evadgib said:

The Kennedy's were up to their necks in it but I don't really want to go down that road in a month marking such significant anniversaries.

It does not surprise me at all that the Kennedys were supportive of the IRA. 

They, like very many Irish Americans were. 

Kicking the British out has a certain resonance in American history and culture. 

But once again, private support is not US Government support. 

And as so often, it pays to keep informed of the politics both sides of the Atlantic. 

14 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

If you lived and enjoyed the life outside your little island then you enjoyed to cross borders without visas and paying in one currency only. You were feeling like living within one country. 

How the hell then you can write such rubbish about leaving EU??? 

It's an institution bringing prosperity  and support to all member states within an area of democracy. 

Not necessarily.

I lived and worked at various times during 1999/2000 In Holland, Belgium, France and Germany, and as you say it was fairly easy. 

However since then I have also worked in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea, Thailand and New Zealand. I had no problem getting a visa nor did I have any problem with the currencies either.

It is an attitude problem. If you go to work and live in a country and you have a positive attitude the problems you face just fade away.

In my 50 years of working life I have lived and worked in 38 different countries, including some in the EU and didn't have problems in any of them.

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It does not surprise me at all that the Kennedys were supportive of the IRA. 

They, like very many Irish Americans were. 

Kicking the British out has a certain resonance in American history and culture. 

But once again, private support is not US Government support. 

And as so often, it pays to keep informed of the politics both sides of the Atlantic. 

Not that I disagree, just amused at how the argument about personal vs. government support is touted when fits, and reviled on other occasions.

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

It is an attitude problem. If you go to work and live in a country and you have a positive attitude the problems you face just fade away.

Before the referendum I was on retirement extensions based on income, now I cannot get a marriage extension based on income.

As much as I would like to think Bill that the problem could be resolved by attitude, I doubt it.

11 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

as usual dems act to damage us citizen well-being, however the supreme court will rule in trump's favour.

wbr

roobaa01

So in your alternative USA, the Supreme Court will rule in favor of Trump agains Congress' constitutional duty to approve/or reject trade agreements. 

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So in your alternative USA, the Supreme Court will rule in favor of Trump agains Congress' constitutional duty to approve/or reject trade agreements. 

the supreme court will deter dems to abuse their congressional power for ideological purposes alike the russian hoax by nadler, schiff and other clowns.

wbr

roobaa01

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So long as personal support is not passed off as government support and visa-versa, then yes, I agree. 

Thanks for the chuckle. Think I'll keep these posts for the next occasion you argue the opposite way.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Before the referendum I was on retirement extensions based on income, now I cannot get a marriage extension based on income.

As much as I would like to think Bill that the problem could be resolved by attitude, I doubt it.

I got one this morning at Khampaeng Phet Immigration after about 20 hours of the great Immigration paper chase, starting at Immi by asking, what do you actually want?

I shall write up the saga tomorrow and post it for all to read.

Archived