Mexico pushes U.S. to designate El Paso shooting an act of terrorism

webfact

Mexico pushes U.S. to designate El Paso shooting an act of terrorism

By Dave Graham

2019-08-14T201428Z_1_LYNXNPEF7D1L6_RTROPTP_4_TEXAS-SHOOTING.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Flowers and candles are left at a memorial five days after a mass shooting at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas, U.S. August 8, 2019. REUTERS/Callaghan O'Hare

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico's government on Wednesday amplified its assertion that the Aug. 3 mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, was an act of terrorism against Mexicans, urging the United States to ensure the attack was designated as such.

Speaking after meetings on Tuesday between U.S. and Mexican officials about the incident, Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard told a regular government news conference that steps needed to be taken to prevent future killings.

"It's very important to persevere, to specify, clarify and demand that measures are taken so that this is not repeated, and the first measure is to classify it for what it is, an act of terrorism that seeks to take Mexican lives," Ebrard said.

Twenty-two people, including eight Mexican citizens, were killed in the shooting at a Walmart store in the U.S. border city, an event Mexico quickly said it would investigate as a terrorist act.

A four-page statement believed to have been written by the suspected shooter, Patrick Crusius, and posted on 8chan, an online message board often used by extremists, called the El Paso attack "a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas."

And, according to an El Paso police affidavit released on Friday, Crusius told police while surrendering that he had been targeting "Mexicans."

"There will be those who say, 'No, no, no, this isn't terrorism, it's just one person,'" Ebrard said, alongside Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.

"Well, it needs to be said that the man who carried out this despicable, abominable and appalling act is part of a network, but he also uploaded a manifesto to the network."

"What he says is terrible, but it's not that he's mad; he is in possession of his faculties," Ebrard added.

Later, the foreign ministry issued a statement saluting Texas Governor Greg Abbott's announcement he was forming a domestic terrorism task force following the El Paso shooting in order to combat "hateful acts and extremism" in Texas.

The Mexican government hopes to put the suspected perpetrator on trial in Mexico.

"We're going to ask for this person be judged here, too. We're going to ask for his extradition, and the full weight of the law will be felt," president Lopez Obrador said at a public event on Wednesday.

He noted that Mexico does not permit the death penalty, but can impose severe sentences.

"We don't want this to happen again, we don't want these hate crimes," said Lopez Obrador.

The attack caused widespread revulsion in Mexico at a time of persistent diplomatic tensions between Trumpadministration and the Mexican government over trade and immigration.

Mexico's government last week pressed the United States to cooperate in helping to identify white supremacists who are a threat to its citizens after the attack.

(Reporting by Dave Graham; Additional reporting by Daina Beth Solomon; Editing by Richard Chang, Jonathan Oatis and Diane Craft)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-15

Yes the "trump" government has been very weak on both labeling and fighting extremist white nationalist terrorism. As that has overtaken Islamist terrorism in recent years (hmm, wonder why?) there is no excuse for that. Mexico demanding that is appreciated by all decent Americans that recognize this threat. Of course those that identify with the "trump" brand of white nationalism won't be so behind that.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not before they’ve paid for the wall, please!

There is a big deal coming up~they will pay for the wall~even if we need to put them on the long term payment plan with some less transparent accounting rules~we will see the results, but trust me, you won't~trust me~big deal ????

There is a big deal coming up~they will pay for the wall~even if we need to put them on the long term payment plan with some less transparent accounting rules~we will see the results, but trust me, you won't~trust me~big deal [emoji23]
Bigly with kovfefe on top!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

The El Paso shooting has already been designated as an act of domestic terrorism but it just depends on what news channels you watch to get accurate information.

Accuracy is a rate commodity, as is truth. Ratings and money are at the forefront of the media.

What will probably happen eventually is the federal government will charge him with federal domestic terrorism charges but there’s still a whole long process they have to go through first of coordinating between the state of Texas and the United States Department of Justice as far as who’s gonna charge him with what on state or federal charges as well as the whole investigation that I’m sure is still pending in fact the investigators both state and federal are probably extremely busy right now. Before he’s arraigned in court they have to produce the extremely long list of capital charges and it’s probably going to take a little time before he’s officially formerly charged with federal charges. But the case has already been designated as domestic terrorism that’s a fact. The criminal charges on this level are going to take a little time because they have to get it right.

The criminal justice system is slow but at least he’s not going anywhere ever again, and the case has already been designated as domestic terrorism that’s a fact. The criminal charges on this level are going to take a little time because they have to get it right.

It’s just crazy because I read more about this case and it turns out that the shooter wasn’t even arrested inside the Walmart he was arrested driving away apparently. So that means he not only had 20 minutes to pop off several rounds enough to shoot 46 people and kill 26 I think it was and he had time to reload at least twice but no that’s not even the worst part he also actually had time to get back in his car and drive away before he surrendered. Something is wrong with that picture it’s time to start hiring more armed security guards for crowded public places like that, at least that’s a start anyway for the short term.

I would have thought that Mexico has enough of its own people getting slaughtered.

Oh yes they do I’m originally from that part of the world so I know and it’s been that way for years, but for some reason apparently everyone just has to find a way to capitalize on this tragedy it’s sick.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

We're going to ask for this person be judged here, too. We're going to ask for his extradition, and the full weight of the law will be felt,"

What a wonderful idea.... save the US taxpayer some money and export the terrorist... win win... now that’s a deal to be proud of. All that’s needed is someone who knows how to make a deal... someone conversant in the “art” of the deal, if I might.

2 hours ago, Mel52 said:

It’s just crazy because I read more about this case and it turns out that the shooter wasn’t even arrested inside the Walmart he was arrested driving away apparently. So that means he not only had 20 minutes to pop off several rounds enough to shoot 46 people and kill 26 I think it was and he had time to reload at least twice but no that’s not even the worst part he also actually had time to get back in his car and drive away before he surrendered. Something is wrong with that picture it’s time to start hiring more armed security guards for crowded public places like that, at least that’s a start anyway for the short term.

Hey what happened to all the(good guys)with a gun?it is what it is the guy is a mass murdering terrorist Mexico rightfully wants their pound of flesh.we need to have strong gun control to put a lid on the slaughter 

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

Of course the guy will not be sent to Mexico.

But terrorism, of course it was white supremacist terrorism.

Do you think the US or any country would do that? Allow someone who committed a serious crime in their country, to be tried in another country because some of the victims came from that country or were ethnically from that country?

The only instances I can think of for that are Nazi war criminals kidnapped and tried by Israel. 

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Hey what happened to all the(good guys)with a gun?it is what it is the guy is a mass murdering terrorist Mexico rightfully wants their pound of flesh.we need to have strong gun control to put a lid on the slaughter 

So when Americans get robbed and murdered in Mexico, the culprits, if captured, should be sent to the US for trial?

10 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Do you think the US or any country would do that? Allow someone who committed a serious crime in their country, to be tried in another country because some of the victims came from that country or were ethnically from that country?

The only instances I can think of for that are Nazi war criminals kidnapped and tried by Israel. 

Why the question?

11 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Extraordinary rendition comes to mind.

Many still in guantanamo never charged but thought to have committed crimes in other countries.

13 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So when Americans get robbed and murdered in Mexico, the culprits, if captured, should be sent to the US for trial?

What has happened in the past is that Mexicans committing murder in the US have escaped back to Mexico and Mexico has then refused to extradite them because of the possibility of the death penalty being applied.

Archived