Qatar baggage allowance

Briggsy

I will flying with Qatar out of Bangkok soon. I have a 30 kg baggage allowance. I have reduced the total weight to around 27 - 28 kg, giving myself a margin for error (in the airport's weighing equipment!).

The only way I can pack my check-in luggage without sending more stuff is to have one standard 28-inch suitcase (not the extra large one) and one 65 litre backpack. Both are too big for hand luggage.

The pertinent allowance information from Qatar is as follows :-

"30kg (66lb) and a maximum dimension of 300 cm (118in)" "For routes where the weight concept apply, there is no limit on the number of pieces that can be checked in as long as the weight allowance for the total number of pieces is not exceeded. However, limitations may apply based on aircraft carrying capacity. " "Maximum dimension = length + width + height"

So, I am good with the weight. Check.

I am good with the number of pieces, no limit. Check.

If you place the 2 items side by side, Height = 77 cm, Width = 46 cm, Length = 56 cm. Total = 179 cm. Check.

Have I got this right? I wouldn't want any nasty surprises or extra charges at the airport.

Any experiences with Qatar?

I don't know whether Qatar WILL 100% physically measure ALL Carry On?

- but it's good to be aware of bluffs that sometimes come into play:

- when you approach the Check In counter; even if the Carry On bag has wheels... carry it, don't wheel it!

Wheeling anything makes the impression that the thing IS heavy!

If you are aerially lugging it by hand/shoulder, then the impression becomes that it 'must surely' not be THAT heavy enough to need the wheels...

(well, it seems to work with Qantas)

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

I don't know whether Qatar WILL 100% physically measure ALL Carry On?

- but it's good to be aware of bluffs that sometimes come into play:

- when you approach the Check In counter; even if the Carry On bag has wheels... carry it, don't wheel it!

Wheeling anything makes the impression that the thing IS heavy!

If you are aerially lugging it by hand/shoulder, then the impression becomes that it 'must surely' not be THAT heavy enough to need the wheels...

(well, it seems to work with Qantas)

Yes, my question related to check-in luggage not carry-on. The carry-on is a standard daypack and a laptop bag, not a cabin suitcase. So should be no worries there.

But thanks for the tip.

Archived