You just couldn’t live like a minimalist anymore

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It wouldn't. But that wasn't the question. For regular monthly expenses it wouldn't be difficult at all at 35 to 40. But of course that wouldn't cover running a car, being a monger, or very much higher end dining. But none of those are mandatory.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The pension is around 28,000 baht per month, not 35-40K. I'm sure it could be done, after all, people have to live on that in Australia.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The Aussie pension is not the same as it was 10 years ago, it's adjusted every year in keeping with the CPI (consumer price index). The single pension is currently around $700 per fortnight, or 14,625 baht.

well i get 1060 per fortnight but it includes rent assistant

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

well i get 1060 per fortnight but it includes rent assistant

You aren't going to get that in Thailand and that's what we're talking about. Only the bare bones pension.

Lived quite well on 40k per month in Bangkok just 4 years back.

Nice apartment on Ratchada Soi 3.

49 sqm, with living room and bedroom, two balconies, two bathrooms no kitchen.

Walking distance to Central Plaza Rama 9, Fortune, Tesco, Esplanade and MRT Rama 9.

Maid service twice a week, A/C day and night, ate well, went out once a week (2k baht).

The key to this formula is affordable rent. Most foreigners here overpay by a mile.

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The pension is around 28,000 baht per month, not 35-40K. I'm sure it could be done, after all, people have to live on that in Australia.

Agreed. 28k is doable, even in BKK. But, in BKK it will require serious discipline.

Most of the posts here are discussing the ability of people to live on 35K-40K per month, with many of them living in places like Pattaya, Udon Thani & Chiang Mai. I am sure there are a great number of foreigners here who can manage OK on that sum providing they don't have rent and entertainment expenses. Many farangs married to Thais don't spend time bar-hopping or playing golf. Thai food is not too expensive especially when it is cooked at home by wives who are capable cooks. 

If you have all the necessities in the home, your actual monthly expenses come down to food, electric bill, internet, water, car fuel etc.  It may not be the excitement of Pattaya or Bangkok, but it is certainly feasible.

Having a wife and kid only seriously increases spending. Alone I could have a comfy, quiet existence on 30K/mo. For 5500bht/mo I can have a room in a nice complex, park in front, have a little place in back patio for gas cooking, 2 km to beach. Leaves about 800bht a day for eating and essentials. Quite doable.

36 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Many farangs married to Thais don't spend time bar-hopping or playing golf.

Thai wife/gf still expects to be paid though.

My gf charges me 10k/month (that includes the house electricity and my 8yos food).

OK, I know, I'm the only one that has to pay a woman to live with him, yours are all different.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Thai wife still expects to be paid though.

My gf charges 10k/month.

You got a blue light special there, me....I don't do the math, it's to depressing.

Archived