You just couldn’t live like a minimalist anymore

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Obviously not in Pattaya,impossible!

Rubbish.... I have my own condo in Ban Chang. Rent one in Pattaya for 3,500 a month to go to when bored in BC. Had to give up the booze and fags 20 years ago (1 yr. before coming to Thailand). I am short of nothing on a few Baht every day....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thai wife/gf still expects to be paid though.

My gf charges me 10k/month (that includes the house electricity and my 8yos food).

OK, I know, I'm the only one that has to pay a woman to live with him, yours are all different.

No, you're not the only one. I pay 20K a month, includes elect. and water, plus food for us both, and we eat damn well.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

You could easily subsist on it, but it would not be much fun.

Fun is a different concept for different people. I cycled (with a bicycle) for a couple of months a few different countries and spent around 1K AUD per month (around 21k baht the current rate). Had a lot of fun including a few narrow escapes with cars.

2 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Fun is a different concept for different people. I cycled (with a bicycle) for a couple of months a few different countries and spent around 1K AUD per month (around 21k baht the current rate). Had a lot of fun including a few narrow escapes with cars.

Oh absolutely, and of course everyone has different lifestyles and different hobbies and things they enjoy. Could i live on that a month, sure, but i would not be able to do many of my hobbies such as golf, badminton club, eating out in nice restaurants etc. So yes i could live on it and yes i may find other things i suddenly enjoy like cycling, but on the face of it cycling, running and eating at home everyday on a budget does not sound a particularly enjoyable month to me personally.

Came here 11 years ago, 1st salary 32 k net rent 6 k, got overcharged but still could save some noney and had a honda dream. No booze, no smoke and a gf who earned her own money. Salary for the same job did not increase remarkably in the meantime and poeple still can live on that one.

Not always fun but still much better than in other places.

3 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Easy have been for years on far less   for many years with my partner. And no i do not live in a broken down wood shack with no power and running water. I have enough money set aside for any serious problems.

You must be very frugal?

mind i ask where you are in Thailand?

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

you could not live off 40K now, after 10-13 years inflation

you are going to need,50-60K, did the Oz  pension increase

that much over that time frame.if it did he would be OK,

it's all about budgeting your income.

regard worgeordie

I keep a family of 5 of us in Isaan, living comfortably on 37000, usually manage to save 5-10000/month, so it really depends on what lifestyle you lead. we keep a scooter and a big bike for that and I drink. eat well, mostly home cooked with about 50/50 western and thai food. Obviously no lady money, or car, but still go out on the town most weekends.

Obviously we'd struggle in Bangkok or Phucket but no problem anywhere else...

Don't know about the other cities you asked about, but do know about Bangkok and Pattaya. Easily done in both on ฿40,000/mo for a single guy. Remaining in The Kingdom (Immigration) nowadays would pose the biggest challenge, with all the changes and recent strict enforcement of the laws. 

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

If a room costs you 8,000 baht a month, still leaves around 20,000 a month to live. You'd need to be pretty frugal to survive on that.

I don't think you need to be that frugal, currently just outside of Bangkok I live in a 3 floor townhouse (14,000 baht), my electricity ranges from (4,000 to 6,000 most months), Internet (1,100 baht), probably food and liquids (maybe 6,000 to 9,000; I could easily keep it at 6,000), phone (100 or so baht).... probably average around 28,000 baht.  (this year has been more expensive because I wanted to replace all my computer equipment/servers etc... but then I had not done that in about 8 years... 150,000 baht over the year ... but that will last me a good 7 years at least...

So basically 28,000 baht / month without feeling I am being too frugal (I have much more money a month to spend, but I don't feel there is much I want to spend it on)...

I am moving next month to Khon Kaen, 10,000 baht a month house [gated community] (smaller, I like smaller... I grew up in a house that is easily 5 times the size of the 3 floor townhouse I am in now), probably electricity will be less since it is a few degrees cooler at night... so even that will drop. 

It would of course be more if you constantly craved western food, wanted the temporary company at night etc.  but for regular living... easily doable.

Before getting married and a kid, I used to live like a minimalist in Thailand the entire time (so like the first 4 years of the past 7 in total). 
I did rented luxury condo's and a house with pool in that time for a while too, but that was only because I could and can.

Other than that, everything I owned fit in a 60L backpack + a day pack with my Office inside there. 
I have had apartments with AC in both Ratchada BKK and CNX for 3K baht a month, today you could even get it for 2.5K a month.
Top on B700-1K for utilities and 3K for motorbike incl. gas and I would still be under 6-7K baht monthly total.

For visa I would reserve 1.5K a month, Phone / Internet / Spotify 1K a month, Insurance 1.5K making it around 10-11K a month roughly.
All the other costs would be 100% flexible, the costs for food (eating out mostly) and some general fun (movies, wakeboarding, whatever) would maybe be 10-15K tops. Depending on what I could and was willing to spend additional; it went to nightlife and girls often but I could have dated for nearly free in BKK too. 

I could do it even much better and cheaper with today's knowledge, since living with a Thai wife and knowing the grocery / cooking secrets.
Also buying the motorbike once, would save 2.5K on that figure already. Internet and phone stuff can easily be half too.
Last but not least, most of the additional spend money is basically burning often too, paying for over priced drinks and such, not needed if on budget.

Long story short: One can super easily live like a minimalist in Thailand, even today, you can arrive with a ATM card and Passport only and be sorted in 3 hours.
Problem and costs of today would be the visa but then still, you could be a minimalist and do half a year here and half in Vietnam or elsewhere.

The Australian single pension is currently $860 (AUD) per fortnight, at an exchange rate of approx 20 at present that's around 17,200 per fortnight. This is the basic pension rate and does not include the supplements which you don't get anyhow if you are not living in Australia.

2 minutes ago, JWRC said:

The Australian single pension is currently $860 (AUD) per fortnight, at an exchange rate of approx 20 at present that's around 17,200 per fortnight. This is the basic pension rate and does not include the supplements which you don't get anyhow if you are not living in Australia.

If you're living outside Australia and qualify to receive the Age Pension, the rates are as follows: Single: $698.40 per fortnight (approximately $18,158 per year) – an increase of $6.90 per fortnight. Couple (each): $583.80 per fortnight (approximately $15,179 per year) – an increase of $5.80 per fortnight

29 minutes ago, tabarin said:

Long story short: One can super easily live like a minimalist in Thailand, even today, you can arrive with a ATM card and Passport only and be sorted in 3 hours.
Problem and costs of today would be the visa but then still, you could be a minimalist and do half a year here and half in Vietnam or elsewhere.

I'm sort of minimalist, but not by necessity. I just don't like to own things which eat my time. All my possessions here are worth probably around 3-4K AUD,  most of them can be taken as check-in baggage. Swimming pool cleaning, lawn mowing, roof maintenance - no, thank you, I'll pass on that. I move around mostly by cycling and walking, I like it and it keeps me fit. Significant part of my expenditure is allocated to travel, but is mostly adventure travel which doesn't cost an arm and leg. I do splurge on a single malt bottle from time to time. 

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

More than the basic UK Pension though.

Not only that, as far as I know there is no requirement that you have worked or paid tax a single day, you only need to live certain number of years in Australia to get it.

We live on about 40k a month. Live in Isaan, rent a nice 3br air con house. Eat like kings. 

My wife has a business which involves us being home a lot so that has a lot to do with it. We don't eat out much but thats by choice not financial reasons. The food here is just crap. I eat mostly farang food these days and ingredients are so cheap. We eat like kings everyday. Go through about one tank of fuel a month in the pick up. Electricity is expensive for me at 3500 per month but have the air cons on most of the time. I don't drink, I am at an age where I basically have everything I want or have had it in the past and don't want it again. Have a newish pick up, Honda Forza. Nice clothes, guitars...everything that is important to me. Even manage a trip to Bangkok or somewhere every now and then for a blow out. Initially when I came here I reckon some months I could have been mowing through at least 100k a month until I started keeping an eye on it. And I really couldn't say I felt like I had a better lifestyle. It is very easy for it to slip through your fingers here. 20 baht aint 20 cents or 20 pence. It's a dollar where come from. I have that mindset now. For example I was going to buy a small thing of cream the other day. 95 baht. I had a think and thought nope, not paying $5 for a punnet of cream. I wouldn't if I had 5 mill in the bank.

I am very happy with my life and seldom bored. I don't answer to anyone (except Missus) and my time is my own. I am not in a poor financial position but retired here early and need to be careful with my money. Who knows what going to happen in the future. But in all honesty I am not living a purposefully stingy life. I am lucky my girl isn't needy and greedy and she actually works herself. Very contented. Nothing I could say I was pining for or wanted 

It really is not that hard to live in thailand on 20k month
Apartment in nice condo with pool/gym/sauna 8000thb month for 1 year contract
electric and water a month 1000thb (gov rates)

cooking yourself 600g chicken a day (diff marinades)with vegetables and bacon eggs for breakfast 6000thb month 

fuel a month if you own your own motorbike 500thb
water a month pura 1.5Lbottles 500thb

internet for phone 100thb month

Total 16,100 thb month and that would be living in phuket. You could still go out to dinner, movies etc with the 3900 left over.
So yes it can be done very easily here in thailand but if you earnt 30-40k you could live like a king. 

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

If you're living outside Australia and qualify to receive the Age Pension, the rates are as follows: Single: $698.40 per fortnight (approximately $18,158 per year) – an increase of $6.90 per fortnight. Couple (each): $583.80 per fortnight (approximately $15,179 per year) – an increase of $5.80 per fortnight

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

The current rate of Australian Aged Pension is $860 per fortnight as per the DHS/Centrelink payment schedule effective 1 July 2019. 

@JWRC is a winner; sorry bout that @giddyup but out of date info will do that everytime bloke.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/pension-rates-payable-people-outside-australia/29791

42 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Initially when I came here I reckon some months I could have been mowing through at least 100k a month until I started keeping an eye on it.
And I really couldn't say I felt like I had a better lifestyle.

It is very easy for it to slip through your fingers here

That was my biggest eye opener too, the money burned easily as half a tourist / surrounded by nightlife and wrong people (girls). 
I would say my quality of life, food and everything else has increased ever since I stopped spending on that recklessly (even I can still spend fairly). 

And yes, it is super easy to slip trough you fingers here. Somehow the notes here feel like monopoly money, spend it easily as if the value is less than true.
35B vs 70B coffee and thinking it is just '35 baht' more, not caring about moto taxi charging 120B instead of the usual 80B etc etc.

17 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

So the Aus pension received overseas is less than if you received it in Australia?

Yes....they take away the energy supplement of approximately $60.00 per fortnight after six weeks away. Anytime you re-enter you will automatically receive full payment until you are out of the country again for six weeks.

After six months it will be adjusted again to reflect the amount of time you've lived in Australia between the ages of 16 y.o. and pension age; which is currently 65.5 y.o.

AWLR (Australian Working Life Residency) of 35 years will see you retain the full indexed payment. There is then a sliding scale of reduction.

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/1/1/a/340

21 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

The current rate of Australian Aged Pension is $860 per fortnight as per the DHS/Centrelink payment schedule effective 1 July 2019. 

@JWRC is a winner; sorry bout that @giddyup but out of date info will do that everytime bloke.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/pension-rates-payable-people-outside-australia/29791

I stand corrected, but the figures I quoted did say for 2019, but obviously that info is incorrect.

I'm married and my wife shoulders her expenses. I pay everything related to the flat 7500 including utilities, laundry service 60pcs + restaurant 2x a month 3000 total. Use AC a lot honestly. Transport to work and meals. My wife gets home at 7pm we don't eat together. General out of pocket expenses are 20k. I bank an additional 50k+ from the job which goes toward long term savings, trips, dental, etc. I go out for beer 1x a month. We do little on the weekend. Wife cooks in. If I need or needed more I'd spend it. We live 650m from the MRT in central BKK. Small tidy flat.

Lowest I was ever spending was living in Pattaya 2003-4. About US 375-425 a month. Partied every other night, loads of companions from my soi. Good times.

Paying barfines and drinking outside of happy hours is what kills single guys budget. Too much western food.

I get $600 per fortnight for a married man pension.  I get around 24,000 a month.  I spend 7,000 on medication, 2,500 on power (due to illness I stay home most the day now), water is free due to a well, internet is 590, phone is 400 for both of us, the rest is spent on Food and a day out. The only thing I do is swim most days. My wife owns her house, works part-time, I have 400K in the bank, fully insured for hospital (30 million a year) and have a car and PCX. 

I do live a comfortable life. I still have considerable funds at home but come from a wealthy family that helps out if needed. I plan to go home to Australia in the future with my wife but I have reasons why not now (mainly the elderly age of my wife's parents and the fact they are sick and need help with household chores.  My parents are very old but cashed up and don't need me). I have not burnt my bridges at home. 

I do not really ever go without things, eat well and content with my wife. If I was not content with my wife, I would be back in Australia tomorrow as my life is much easier with my family at home. Most my wife's friends only earn 8,500 a month and they live okay. Much cheaper in a village for just about everything.

I live on about 20~30,000 a month in Bangkok (10min from Ekamai)

studio airconed apartment with massive balcony, 10th floor city view, swimming pool and gym for 5000 near BTS. Free (possibly illegal?) Cable TV. Super quiet condo: old solid building with thick walls and solid wooden doors. ????

Drink and smoke once a month only (through choice).

Eat mix of local and foreign foods. 

Travel once a month albeit cheaply. 

Archived