BANGKOK
georgegeorgia

You just couldn’t live like a minimalist anymore

I wish I got that basic oz pension, I could live comfortably on that for the rest of my life...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smutcakes said:

You could easily subsist on it, but it would not be much fun.

I used to live on 16k or so (Hat Yai) up until 2 years ago.

No beer or mongering but I was never a connoisseur

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, giddyup said:

If you're living outside Australia and qualify to receive the Age Pension, the rates are as follows: Single: $698.40 per fortnight (approximately $18,158 per year) – an increase of $6.90 per fortnight. Couple (each): $583.80 per fortnight (approximately $15,179 per year) – an increase of $5.80 per fortnight

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

The Australian single pension is currently $860 (AUD) per fortnight, at an exchange rate of approx 20 at present that's around 17,200 per fortnight. This is the basic pension rate and does not include the supplements which you don't get anyhow if you are not living in Australia.

The current rate of Australian Aged Pension is $860 per fortnight as per the DHS/Centrelink payment schedule effective 1 July 2019. 

@JWRC is a winner; sorry bout that @giddyup but out of date info will do that everytime bloke.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/pension-rates-payable-people-outside-australia/29791

Edited by UncleMhee
Wrong wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So the Aus pension received overseas is less than if you received it in Australia?

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

So the Aus pension received overseas is less than if you received it in Australia?

Yes....they take away the energy supplement of approximately $60.00 per fortnight after six weeks away. Anytime you re-enter you will automatically receive full payment until you are out of the country again for six weeks.

After six months it will be adjusted again to reflect the amount of time you've lived in Australia between the ages of 16 y.o. and pension age; which is currently 65.5 y.o.

AWLR (Australian Working Life Residency) of 35 years will see you retain the full indexed payment. There is then a sliding scale of reduction.

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/1/1/a/340

Edited by UncleMhee
Extra info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

The current rate of Australian Aged Pension is $860 per fortnight as per the DHS/Centrelink payment schedule effective 1 July 2019. 

@JWRC is a winner; sorry bout that @giddyup but out of date info will do that everytime bloke.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/pension-rates-payable-people-outside-australia/29791

I stand corrected, but the figures I quoted did say for 2019, but obviously that info is incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm married and my wife shoulders her expenses. I pay everything related to the flat 7500 including utilities, laundry service 60pcs + restaurant 2x a month 3000 total. Use AC a lot honestly. Transport to work and meals. My wife gets home at 7pm we don't eat together. General out of pocket expenses are 20k. I bank an additional 50k+ from the job which goes toward long term savings, trips, dental, etc. I go out for beer 1x a month. We do little on the weekend. Wife cooks in. If I need or needed more I'd spend it. We live 650m from the MRT in central BKK. Small tidy flat.

Lowest I was ever spending was living in Pattaya 2003-4. About US 375-425 a month. Partied every other night, loads of companions from my soi. Good times.

Paying barfines and drinking outside of happy hours is what kills single guys budget. Too much western food.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2