Rabies Vaccination

oslooskar

Can anyone advise me where I might be able to get a vaccination against Rabies in Rayong without having to go all the way out to the Bangkok Rayong Hospital? If you're familiar with Rayong, I live on the Beach Road and would like to find a reputable clinic that is not too far away. Please note that I have not been bitten by a stray animal at this time but I do feed all the stray cats that hang around my house and I'm often handling them.

oslooskar

In Thailand outpatient care is mainly done in hospitals.  Except for Chiang Mai and a few other spots, clinics, where they exist at all, are often dodgy.

Are you wanting pre or post exposure vaccine?

For post exposure, any govt hospital.  The main govt hospital in Rayong town is a regional level facility with good capacities, but smaller district hospitals ought to have the vaccine as well.

Need to bring a Thai speaker along, though.

If you want pre-exposure that may be harder and you'd probably have to go to a private hospital.  Try either Bangkok Rayong Hospital or  Mongkutrayong Hospital, both in town. Can try at the main govt hospital first, though, but I won't be surprised if they say they only do post exposure (it is the same vaccine, though).

Hi Sheryl, thanks for the info! Yes, I want to get the pre-exposure vaccine because of all the stray cats that are hanging out at my place. Also, once I get some form of transportation, maybe an electric cart or scooter, I will gather up the cats one by one and take them to a vet and have them vaccinated and fixed.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, Sheryl said:

In Thailand outpatient care is mainly done in hospitals.  Except for Chiang Mai and a few other spots, clinics, where they exist at all, are often dodgy.

Are you wanting pre or post exposure vaccine?

For post exposure, any govt hospital.  The main govt hospital in Rayong town is a regional level facility with good capacities, but smaller district hospitals ought to have the vaccine as well.

Need to bring a Thai speaker along, though.

If you want pre-exposure that may be harder and you'd probably have to go to a private hospital.  Try either Bangkok Rayong Hospital or  Mongkutrayong Hospital, both in town. Can try at the main govt hospital first, though, but I won't be surprised if they say they only do post exposure (it is the same vaccine, though).

Hi Sheryl, I forgot to mention that I was able to get the full series of Rabies vaccinations at the "Tapong Public Health Center". ( I think the map and the local Thais might refer to it as the "Ban Taphong Nok Health Center".) The total cost was 574 baht; which also included a tetanus booster. The clinic also has a young English-speaking doctor on duty as well and is located less than a hundred yards from the Taphong Fruit Market. It's open from 8:30 A.M. until 6:30 P.M. and the phone number there is 038-655-222.

oslooskar

Hi Sheryl, I forgot to mention that I was able to get the full series of Rabies vaccinations at the "Tapong Public Health Center". ( I think the map and the local Thais might refer to it as the "Ban Taphong Nok Health Center".) The total cost was 574 baht; which also included a tetanus booster. The clinic also has a young English-speaking doctor on duty as well and is located less than a hundred yards from the Taphong Fruit Market. It's open from 8:30 A.M. until 6:30 P.M. and the phone number there is 038-655-222.

oslooskar
Good to know, thanks.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

oslooskar
How long is the vaccination good for?

On 10/10/2019 at 3:37 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 10/9/2019 at 10:49 PM, oslooskar said:

oslooskar

Good question! I've used Google but still can't get any solid answers. However, I did get the following....

"A booster dose as often as every 6 months to 2 years may be required for person at highest risk for exposure to rabies virus, such as persons who work with rabies virus in research laboratories or vaccine production facilities, veterinarians and staff, and animal control and wildlife officers."

Good question! I've used Google but still can't get any solid answers. However, I did get the following....
  "A booster dose as often as every 6 months to 2 years may be required for person at highest risk for exposure to rabies virus, such as persons who work with rabies virus in research laboratories or vaccine production facilities, veterinarians and staff, and animal control and wildlife officers."
I came up with the same things. It's strange they don't bother telling us when we go for vaccination. I thought it was life long so didn't bother asking, but now i doubt it so will check at a clinic or hospital next time i go

On 10/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I think this has been discussed before.

I would suggest that routinely self monitoring titer levels for rabies in Thailand would be beyond the scope and resources of most people unless they were in the higher risk categories.

Most of the available documention on this subject is from the west (WHO, CDC etc) and they refer to management regimes of immunised persons by risk category.

They have high risk for laboratory workers, frequent risk for animal workers and low risk for travellers in rabies enzootic regions but they don't seem to have a category or regime for local people permanently living in those areas (including most expats) who are at more risk than the average traveller.

The average vaccinated traveller they say has lifetime immunity.

I have read a lot of studies on the rabies immune response and about how the two post exposure boosters can still trigger a successful response even if there is no titer.

Though more of a successful response is available after a booster is given one year after the initial vaccination.

This regime evidently gives at least 10 years immunity before another booster is required.

Personally, as I had a booster a year after my primary I will have another 10 years later and in the event of exposure I will perform the essential wound care and seek medical attention immediately.

Canada Communicable Disease Report

STATEMENT ON TRAVELLERS AND RABIES VACCINE

http://webarchive.bac-lac.gc.ca:8080/wayback/20071116023105/http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/publicat/ccdr-rmtc/02vol28/28sup/acs4.html

Archived