Better return option from Penang, DMK or Padang Besar?

Going to Penang next week for a Tourist Visa, and while my current passport only has one TV in it, my previous passport had 4 in it spanning back to 2017.

From basic searching and calling ahead to Jim's place, it seems as though I probably won't have a problem in obtaining a visa, but it's in re-entering where I have my concerns. 

I've read some reports of troubles at Don Mueang, but I've personally never experienced this (including on my most recent return from Vietnam in March where I was stamped through in a matter of seconds on a TV). Given the amount of TVs I have, and my duration of stay, would crossing at Padang Besar be a better option? 

Full disclosure: American, arrived in May '17, return to the states for 5 weeks each Nov/Dec plus a couple 2 week getaways around SEasia, so I've only been outside of Thailand for approximately 4 months total over a 27 month span, which I know is a potential red flag. Just need to do one last run to get me to November, after which I'm headed elsewhere.

Any friendly tips/advice is greatly appreciated. 

I crossed a Pedang Besar twice earlier this year in May having been in Thailand for about 10 of the previous 14 months. They didn't seem interested in my long stay history, but they are strict when it comes to what they require. Make sure you have 20K Baht, Hotel booking and a flight out if you cross there.

7 minutes ago, atecom said:

I crossed a Pedang Besar twice earlier this year in May having been in Thailand for about 10 of the previous 14 months. They didn't seem interested in my long stay history, but they are strict when it comes to what they require. Make sure you have 20K Baht, Hotel booking and a flight out if you cross there.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of the Hotel booking requirement...

Can I ask, did you make a booking specifically for purposes of presenting to the IO? I imagine that after 14 months here in Thailand, you must surely be renting an apartment by now. If so, how long was your booking for?

It just so happened that I had one. Because I didn't want to be worried about schedules, in case of train delays, potential missing flight from Hat Yai... etc, I had booked to stay in Hat Yai for a couple of nights. I had it printed out just in case, and they accepted it when they asked me to show a hotel booking. Didn't seem to be an issue that it didn't cover the entire proposed stay length.

Based on reports I have seen, Penang for a tourist visa would concern me a bit. However, that is not your question. In my opinion, using DMK would be very risky. My choice would be to return through Sadao. That crossing has been problematic at times in the past, but seems OK these days.

50 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Based on reports I have seen, Penang for a tourist visa would concern me a bit. However, that is not your question. In my opinion, using DMK would be very risky. My choice would be to return through Sadao. That crossing has been problematic at times in the past, but seems OK these days.

Thanks Tim... Any particular reason you don't recommend Padang Besar? 

11 minutes ago, Glenn128 said:

Recent reports that they are strict,looking for an excuse to deny you entry. Also, the possibility of a long wait while each arriving foreigner is given the third degree.

At the time when immigration was done in the train station, it was a great place for entry, but apparently not these days.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Recent reports that they are strict,looking for an excuse to deny you entry. Also, the possibility of a long wait while each arriving foreigner is given the third degree.

At the time when immigration was done in the train station, it was a great place for entry, but apparently not these days.

Yes, I've only recently read that they do a sit down interview with everyone, and it's with a rather unpleasant lady just looking for people to reject, which is something I think I'm not really looking forward to doing...

What's your take on DMK, Tim? I just came in on a TV in March through DMK, and while I must admit that I was a little scared, the IO didn't hardly skip a beat in stamping me through. I've seen stories of people being detained and deported here, but it seems they always seem to have a slight little asterisk somewhere mixed in, such as previous WP, or 5th consecutive TV, or passport holder from a slightly less prosperous country, etc. 

Is all the fear warranted?

I'd agree with going via PadangBesar, rather than Sadao.

Sadao were too much more interested in looking for alcohol in the car .

I ended up forward planning to sacrifice a slab, to grease the way...

These losses were sort of acceptable, given the inexpensive product involved. Only thing that over the long term it sort of started becoming a nuisance to the long term budget; as we'd be doing the Penang/Hatyai return trips every 2nd weekend.

Finally ditched the driving, and thereafter did the 200k each way, on the bicycle. Best thing about this was to make sure you sweated all over the IO counter. (thanks to the 10 hours ride just done) and their sudden want to get you out of their face.

Only hassle really was having to ride the old highway, via AlorSetar up through Perlis. Trucks filled the backroad, to evade the Tolls.

I am doing the Padang Besar run myself within 3 weeks, as I got a similar problematic visa-history and won`t return to Europe until Dec to obtain a different visa. However, I think one has to differentiate between strict (Padang Besar), weird (BKK/DMK) and close to impossible ( Poi Pet).

I don`t remember any case of a person being denied in PB on a valid visa showing all requirements. So I couldn`t care less about an overmotivated village-girl IO thinking she is the someone special. 20k Baht, accommodation and onward-flight. That`s it! They could start making weird problems by only accepting 20k in Baht and not in other currency, but I knew that.

If they interview everyone..up to them. That's their tactic..being rude, impolite and provoking. I have no clue WHY they do it, but if one stays calm, gives straight answers, they will loose the interest. (experienced myself in BKK)

However, it`s always good to have a gf/friend/whoever in Thailand one is able to call in the case there are problems. 

By the way..my gf suggested to have 500 Baht for the extreme case. It`s more than the usual 100 and 99% will accept it, as long as one does it in secret. That means..NOT straight from your wallet so that the cameras don`t catch it.

Edited by SpanishExpat

jim and others are nothing more than a double priced TAXI service

they don't help you in/at embassy ... 

they call you a taxi and one might be there to bring you back to your hotel

if you GRAB  it yourself, you pay half or less

Edited by justin case

23 hours ago, Glenn128 said:

I come through PB every 3 months on a MEV never been asked to show accommodation booking . From PB I get the train to Hat Yai or there is a train from PB to Bkk . Book train be for going to immigration as they want to see your onward journey to Thailand.

You can also take the morning ferry to Langkawi and then Langkawi to Satun.

They are quiet friendly here.

Never saw anybody being ask anything Appart the name of an hotel on the arrival form.

Then mini van to hat yai/bus to Bangkok/Krabi/Phuket etc

Edited by Koheasy

On 8/16/2019 at 2:12 PM, justin case said:

jim and others are nothing more than a double priced TAXI service

they don't help you in/at embassy ... 

they call you a taxi and one might be there to bring you back to your hotel

if you GRAB  it yourself, you pay half or less

Interesting, I had read that Jim was taking people to the embassy, but then when I called just this Thursday the guy answering said that they go and file the application on their own and don't need you to do anything, as well as obtain on their own, which is how I remember it back in 2017.

Guess I'll find out how true that is this week. I agree that if they're just a glorified taxi service then I'd be better off calling Grab, but if they take care of the whole arrangement, then I still think they're worth it.