Homeless man dies after drinking booze and durian - urban myth or Thai truth?

webfact

Homeless man dies after drinking booze and durian - urban myth or Thai truth?

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Ask most Thais and they will tell you never to eat durian with alcohol. 

It can lead to an untimely death, they claim. 

Most information on the internet claims that this is an urban myth though doctors accept that combining the two can cause severe indigestion and bloating and perhaps should be avoided. 

The question of urban myth or truth is in the news after police in Na Jomtien, Sattahip found a homeless man dead in a bus shelter outside Ban Ampher school yesterday. 

The man was dressed in a loin cloth and was found dead in a seated position leaning against a support of the roadside "sala". There were no injuries on the body. 

Locals said his name was "Mee" (bear) and he was a habitual drinker from Rayong who people in the area would employ to clean up their yards.

He spent the money on alcohol  that he would drink every day at the shelter where he slept. 

Na Jomtien police said that he had succumbed to lao khao (white spirit) and a large amount of durian that had led to a condition known as "rorn nai" in Thai. 

Thais generally avoid "rorn nai" (heat inside or as doctors' say aphthous ulcers generally associated with the mouth and gums) by not consuming alcohol with sweet substances but with savory or salty items. 

An autopsy has been ordered on the 48 year old man. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-15

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

How could he afford "a large amount of durian" ?

It grows on trees you know, don’t necessarily have to buy it.

I have one of the awful trees in the backyard.

Maybe, just maybe drinking Lao Khao everyday over presumably a good number of years is reason enough on its own for someone's body to eventually give out. I'm sceptical as to whether adding durian into the mix was really the reason for his passing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

This is also common wisdom in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

1 hour ago, SanookTeufel said:

The Japanese studied this and it's been proven to be true... I discovered this while trying to prove to my gf it was all just made up and not true.

Is true. 

Webfact say “the internet” say it not true. The internet eat durian???

Better to listen to local people. 

They know. 

Not say die everytime, but increase the chance because get to hot.

Durian make you hot. If eat a lot. One piece ok.

If eat together with mangosteen is better, mangosteen cool it down.

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

This is also common wisdom in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

Certainly suggests there is something in it. I know myself not to each too much durian, despite having quite a love of it. 

32 minutes ago, Brer said:

It grows on trees you know, don’t necessarily have to buy it.

I have one of the awful trees in the backyard.

What species your durian? 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

he was a habitual drinker from Rayong who people in the area would employ to clean up their yards.

He spent the money on alcohol  that he would drink every day at the shelter where he slept.

He would've died whatever he ate, because of the lao khao. I had several friends who died from it. Nasty stuff.

4 hours ago, Yinn said:

Is true. 

They know. 

Yinn, please open your mind. Are you a doctor? Search raffles medical group singapore. They studied this and found no evidence linking the two together. Also mangosteen cooling U down is a folk story. Again doctors have studies this and found no link between this. Only that these two fruits are harvested at the same time and commonly eaten together.

Did you know that Durians are not native to Thailand? They are from Malaysian Borneo originally and imported. Just like us falangs ????

5 minutes ago, Mitch82 said:

Yinn, please open your mind. Are you a doctor? Search raffles medical group singapore. They studied this and found no evidence linking the two together. Also mangosteen cooling U down is a folk story. Again doctors have studies this and found no link between this. Only that these two fruits are harvested at the same time and commonly eaten together.

Did you know that Durians are not native to Thailand? They are from Malaysian Borneo originally and imported. Just like us falangs ????

No be silly farang

Next minute you will try to explain to a Thai that chili isn't native to Thailand and they got it because farangs brought it from South America

Na Jomtien police said that he had succumbed to lao khao (white spirit) and a large amount of durian that had led to a condition known as "rorn nai" in Thai. 

In my 17 years of living here, I had to go to plenty of cremations of people I knew very well.

Some were related to my wife's family and great guys. They all had something in common. They were addicted to the white shi_e. One woman was found dead on her knees with a Lao Khao bottle still in her hands. 

I'd almost caused a disaster when I gave my old friend and wife's uncle his last lit up cigarette in his mouth, not knowing that they had soaked the box with gasoline. In memory of my friend "Lung Hui."

Lao khao alone kills. 

DSC03912.JPG

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Is true. 

They know. 

Durian is quite expensive, do you really think that the bloke ate a lot?

I've never heard that mangosteen would cool your body down?

It starts with a fat liver, turns into a liver cirrhosis and then you've got around six months to live.

Those who I knew who were brought to a hospital never survived it.  Once on oxygen, it's time to say goodbye.

A destroyed liver does the trick. No matter what you eat, or drink. 

3 hours ago, Mitch82 said:

Same with chili peppers.  They were native to central/southern America.  Before they were introduced here peppercorns were used.

Yinn, please open your mind. Are you a doctor?

No. But I eat a lot of durian. First day durian season about 2 month ago, I ate to much. Get hot for about 4 days. 

Is free, everyone here have the tree. Can not finish.

i know how I feel, I don’t need doctor.

are you a doctor? Ask your doctor, he will know.

Search raffles medical group singapore. They studied this and found no evidence linking the two together. Also mangosteen cooling U down is a folk story. Again doctors have studies this and found no link between this

Japanese study “find” opposite.

. Only that these two fruits are harvested at the same time and commonly eaten together.

Did you know that Durians are not native to Thailand? They are from Malaysian Borneo originally and imported.

Yes. 

Just like us falangs ????

Farang come from South America 

https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/guava.html

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Durian is quite expensive, do you really think that the bloke ate a lot?

Montong durian and saliga durian is expensive, but if local durian is cheap. 30 baht per kg. 

And it get old quickly, if a bit old, nobody want to buy it, so cheap also.

and if have friend with a tree, it free.

I've never heard that mangosteen would cool your body down?

Ask any thai.

It starts with a fat liver, turns into a liver cirrhosis and then you've got around six months to live.

Those who I knew who were brought to a hospital never survived it.  Once on oxygen, it's time to say goodbye.

A destroyed liver does the trick. No matter what you eat, or drink. 

I agree with that. 

I not say if you drunk and eat durian will die sure.

But if you very, very drunk it sometime make the difference if you survive or not.

Push you over the limit the body can take.

It happen a lot.

Alcoholism kills. Sorry to see another person die from this lonely, tragically sad disease.

Don’t fall for this guff and go blaming the fruit.

Chronic drinking (as reported he did) at daily high levels without adequate nutrition and resting from drinking allowing your body to recover from the alcohol poisoning kills you either slow or quick.

21 hours ago, Yinn said:

They know. 

Sometimes, but not always.

Example: I get told that if I walk in the rain and my hair gets wet I will get a cold. So then I ask where the water comes from when I turn on a tap in my room. I get told it comes from a dam. I then ask where the water in the dam comes from. I get told from the rain. I then ask why I don't get a cold when i take a shower. I get told that it is different. End of that conversation.

But I agree with you in this instance. I suspect that the hot feeling is attributed to the digestive system and maybe even acid reflux.  Alcohol is known to increase blood pressure. Personally speaking, I have found that durian also raises my blood pressure. It raises it quite a bit if I eat a lot of durian. Alcohol also raises my blood pressure.  Eating a lot of durian, which I used to do at times, often made me feel uncomfortable a couple of hours after consumption.

So it is not a long shot to suggest that a person with existing hypertension who eats a lot of durian and drinks a lot of alcohol maybe be at greater risks of things like heart attack and the like.

51 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Sometimes, but not always.

Example: I get told that if I walk in the rain and my hair gets wet I will get a cold. So then I ask where the water comes from when I turn on a tap in my room. I get told it comes from a dam. I then ask where the water in the dam comes from. I get told from the rain. I then ask why I don't get a cold when i take a shower. I get told that it is different. End of that conversation.

when your body gets chilled the blood vessels in the nose and throat constrict (decrease in blood vessel diameter). Therefore, there will be less blood supply and less white blood cell which is needed to fight against the microorganism including common cold virus. If fewer white blood cells reached the nose and throat your defenses against a cold virus are lowered for a short time. Also if the environment is cold air (which is less humid than warm summer air) can dry out the mucus lining of your nasal passages, making it easier for viruses to get in and make you sick.

51 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

But I agree with you in this instance. I suspect that the hot feeling is attributed to the digestive system and maybe even acid reflux.  Alcohol is known to increase blood pressure. Personally speaking, I have found that durian also raises my blood pressure. It raises it quite a bit if I eat a lot of durian. Alcohol also raises my blood pressure.  Eating a lot of durian, which I used to do at times, often made me feel uncomfortable a couple of hours after consumption.

So it is not a long shot to suggest that a person with existing hypertension who eats a lot of durian and drinks a lot of alcohol maybe be at greater risks of things like heart attack and the like.

Archived