Samsung TV packing up?

tutsiwarrior

I've got a 40" samsung LCD about 7 -8 years old and suddenly a dark shadow has appeared across the bottom of the screen...I only use it with HDMI and the laptop, no TV reception, the laptop display is OK...the sound started to go manky about 2 years ago...

are there any adjustments that I can make to correct the situation or is the unit ready for the shit pile?

6 hours ago, johng said:

Have you tried a different input port instead of HDMI ?

there's only one HDMI port on the laptop but but 4 on the TV and I'll havta test them...could a bad HDMI cable cause problems? gonna havta investigate that as well...what's surprising is that the display problem appeared suddenly, the speaker problem was a slow deterioration...

don't wanna buy a new unit as I fear that the end is near...gonna go to a place where there's no TV, doesn't that sound delightful?

image.thumb.png.d4110973cfb66f18baeb8f31649f550c.pngone of the tubes likely to have failed, or the component that drives the HT for the tube, an example of a Samsung board is attached (hopefully). a tv repair shop should have this or similar components from a salvage tv. shouldn't cost much, this is my spare, not for sale !!!

thinking about it 7-8 yrs old is borderline LED backlight, either way u cd take a chance a just disconnect leads from plugs that run across boards and the the LED, then reconnect,, if its a dirty connection, u may be back in business...… worth a try, sometimes works !

8 minutes ago, jastheace said:

image.thumb.png.d4110973cfb66f18baeb8f31649f550c.pngone of the tubes likely to have failed, or the component that drives the HT for the tube, an example of a Samsung board is attached (hopefully). a tv repair shop should have this or similar components from a salvage tv. shouldn't cost much, this is my spare, not for sale !!!

TUBES??????

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

TUBES??????

yeah tubes, look like the ones u have in some house/ street lighting, I say look like, they're shorter and thinner, I didn't mean tube as in CRT ! or thermoionic valves either ! I havnt got images but are available on internet, and they run at 2KV. newer tvs have a couple of strips of LEDs , last one I stripped out had about 50 leds on each strip.

13 hours ago, jastheace said:

yeah tubes, look like the ones u have in some house.... lighting,

The LEDs in my house lighting run on 5v or 12v transformers, or are COB (Circuit on Board) and certainly not at 2000 volts.

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

The LEDs in my house lighting run on 5v or 12v transformers, or are COB (Circuit on Board) and certainly not at 2000 volts.

correct, supply voltage would depend on number of LED's. and anything with more than 1 LED would be COB.

however 2KV is not for LED backlit TV, but the older backlit TV, (where the TV would be described as either plasma or LCD, although LCD describes the screen rather than the backlight) the TUBES CAN RUN AT 2KV.

pls refer to what i wrote before regarding describing the tubes . thank you. 

OOPS! it's an LED backlight and NOT an LCD display as I had described earlier...looks like a big mess and a replacement will be required, if I wanna live that long...I got a unit upstairs that I don't use with a smaller screen and older than the present defective unit, maybe just go with that one (while the clock ticks out...) it's only got one HDMI slot and the sound is still good...

thanks folks for all yer help...

Archived