How to VPN on a smart tv?

prevaill

You should be able to install and run the nordVPN app on the samsung TV.

On what device do you currently use the VPN ? If its a laptop etc, maybe a better option to use current device and HDMI to the television.

Assuming you have a laptop, it would be easier to put the VPN on that and then cast to your TV. A friend tried to connect his Samsung via VPN but gave up because it would never work effectively ....and he is a software geek. Samsung TVs have their own operating system, not your usual run of the mill Android.

The easiest way is put your VPN on the router. Router which are able to host VPN are not that expensive anymore. And it's also recommended to have a separate router to use.

It's then very easy. you configure in your router which devices or which addresses have to use the VPN and everything else go direct.

Depending on the router it is even possible to tell more complex configuration.

I would always suggest this setup. A further Advantage is, that your internet provider can't see your configuration. With the provided routers, there are sometimes open backdoors for the providers available so they can help with problems.

But of course some knowledge about setup of routers should be available...

1 hour ago, HampiK said:

The easiest way is put your VPN on the router. Router which are able to host VPN are not that expensive anymore. And it's also recommended to have a separate router to use.

It's then very easy. you configure in your router which devices or which addresses have to use the VPN and everything else go direct.

I would always suggest this setup. A further Advantage is, that your internet provider can't see your configuration. With the provided routers, there are sometimes open backdoors for the providers available so they can help with problems.

He said he use the appartement wifi. If they are using a captive portal it can be a pain to setup a VPN on a router. I did it but had to flash OpenWRT and it was still a pain. 

On 8/15/2019 at 2:01 PM, Peterw42 said:

You should be able to install and run the nordVPN app on the samsung TV.

On what device do you currently use the VPN ? If its a laptop etc, maybe a better option to use current device and HDMI to the television.

I have a smart phone and laptop. How do i install nordvpn on a smart tv?

On 8/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, MikeN said:

Assuming you have a laptop, it would be easier to put the VPN on that and then cast to your TV. A friend tried to connect his Samsung via VPN but gave up because it would never work effectively ....and he is a software geek. Samsung TVs have their own operating system, not your usual run of the mill Android.

I do have a laptop, how do i "cast" it to my tv and what does that mean?

I had the same problem , as someone mentioned above most smart TVs dont allow you to add All the apps you need due to their unique operating systems. 

I found it easier to buy a android box for around £10 , then you can basically add what you want .

Screenshot_20190816-103314_Wish.jpg

On 8/15/2019 at 2:04 PM, MikeN said:

AS I know it you cannot cast (at least with CHROMECAST) if your device's VPN is on...

1 hour ago, Froggybanrai said:

AS I know it you cannot cast (at least with CHROMECAST) if your device's VPN is on...

You can if you use Chrome. https://branche.online/how-to-chromecast-on-vpn-the-simple-way/

And of course, instead of casting to the tv you could just use an HDMI cable. Probably the easiest way since OP seems a bit vague about VPNs and casting etc.

If the OP #prevaill wants to use his VPN in a simplified way to watch Netflix or Catchup TV on his smart Samsung TV, the easiest, as previously suggested is to use your laptop.. With the Nord VPN loaded, and the designated country sorted, and Netflix or others installed to your laptop, you then find your source and view on your computer and via a HDMI cable running from laptop to HDMI port on your TV, you are up and running.. On your TV remote, under SOURCE, find the HDMI that's connected, click on it and your problems are solved.. 

You cannot cast or mirror Netflix from your phone to TV if your VPN is connected to your phone.. So via your laptop, it is very easy.. 

7 hours ago, Macthehat said:

I had the same problem , as someone mentioned above most smart TVs dont allow you to add All the apps you need due to their unique operating systems. 

I found it easier to buy a android box for around £10 , then you can basically add what you want .

Screenshot_20190816-103314_Wish.jpg

interested in this. could i log onto my VPN on the android box and watch amazon prime or netflix with the VPN on, and it'd show me titles available in US? I want to watch some HBO shows on amazon prime and theyre not in the thai amazon video. Could you link on amazon the model you have?

52 minutes ago, owenm said:

If the OP #prevaill wants to use his VPN in a simplified way to watch Netflix or Catchup TV on his smart Samsung TV, the easiest, as previously suggested is to use your laptop.. With the Nord VPN loaded, and the designated country sorted, and Netflix or others installed to your laptop, you then find your source and view on your computer and via a HDMI cable running from laptop to HDMI port on your TV, you are up and running.. On your TV remote, under SOURCE, find the HDMI that's connected, click on it and your problems are solved.. 

You cannot cast or mirror Netflix from your phone to TV if your VPN is connected to your phone.. So via your laptop, it is very easy.. 

ok so I buy a HDMI to HDMI cord for this method? Also when I search for apps on my smart tv, would US apps suddenly be available, such as Hulu, or would they still not appear on the app section of the tv? Also, would it work if i used my phone with my VPN on and used a microusb to HDMI and plugged that into the tv, or does it only work with laptops?

If you have Windows 10 on Your computer i recommend you to Connect it to Your vpn and then use the wifi mobile hotspot feature that comes With Windows. Then Connect the smart tv via wifi to Your New vpn wifi hotspot running from Your computer. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027762/windows-use-your-pc-as-a-mobile-hotspot

Just remember to share the vpn Connection and not the wifi Connection. 

You can also use the free connectify.me app to share Your Windows 10 vpn over wifi. It is more configurable than windows own wifi sharing tool. Take a look at https://www.connectify.me/

With this Method you also can Connect Your Telephone to vpn in Your home country to get the wifi calling feature on Your mobile phone to work. Many countries are blocking wifi calling from abroad.

50 minutes ago, prevaill said:

interested in this. could i log onto my VPN on the android box and watch amazon prime or netflix with the VPN on, and it'd show me titles available in US? I want to watch some HBO shows on amazon prime and theyre not in the thai amazon video. Could you link on amazon the model you have?

Also which android box model would u recommend? You think i could find the box in a Thai mall?

On 8/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, HampiK said:

Agreed.

I recently bought an Asus router and installed ExpressVPN  on it. I let guests use the TOT router Wi-Fi channels and all my WiFi devices are on the Asus router. That includes the LG smart TV and most importantly the Roku stick. Roku blocked most of the channels I wanted when I went thru the TOT router with Thai IP address. Now Roku thinks I'm in America and I get everything available in America.

Best of both worlds since the satellite cable box on another HDMI  TV input gets the Thai channels.

Your point about network privacy is also well taken and solved by the VPN.

12 hours ago, prevaill said:

Also which android box model would u recommend? You think i could find the box in a Thai mall?

the best place to buy one is on Lazada, hundreds available there.....searching for  "android smart tv box 2019" gives 388 answers right now, or "streaming media players" gives you 240 (which shows how crap Lazada's search engine is). I think a lot of them are just rebadged generic items, look for ones with the most memory installed. Personally, I've got an NVIDIA Shield which I'm happy with.

Archived