60 Day Tourist Visa

Has anyone tried to apply for a 60 Day Tourist Visa recently in the UK, the list of requirements seems quite long or am I reading it wrong?  (Or should I just get a 30 day VISA exempt and then get an extension in Thailand?)

Income proof...Accomodation confirmation proof etc.

Any advice please.

The requirements do not appear to be all that much more than what many other embassies or consulates want.

I assume you are looking at this page. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

You can still get a tourist visa at one of the honorary consulates in the UK that may not require as many supporting documents.

You could enter visa exempt to get a 30 day entry and extend it for 30 days if you wanted to. The airline could ask for a ticket out of the country within 30 days to check in for your flight to here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The requirements do not appear to be all that much more than what many other embassies or consulates want.

I assume you are looking at this page. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

You can still get a tourist visa at one of the honorary consulates in the UK that may not require as many supporting documents.

You could enter visa exempt to get a 30 day entry and extend it for 30 days if you wanted to. The airline could ask for a ticket out of the country within 30 days to check in for your flight to here.

Thanks.

Looking at the link and website provided above.
So, for a SETV, Single Entry Tourist Visa, you've got to provide three things.  Travel booking confirmation (surely, this means flight in and out of Thailand) , and proof of accomadation, and financial evidence (copy of bank statement, or whatever) .

These three things were not needed previously, when applying for the SETV.
And what about backpackers turning up in Thailand, and they want to stay for about 55 days ? A lot of them, want to turn up in Bangkok, head to where the backpacker hostels are, and look for a bed. And if the hostel is full, well, simply walk about thirty metres, and see if there is room at that next hostel. That's what some backpackers want to do. They simply don't want to book and pay for a few days accomadation, print out the paper, and show this paper, as proof of their accomadation.

All this is simply making the whole thing a bit more tricky than previously. And about bank statements. So you're suppose to provide a copy of your bank statement ?  And your address, bank account number, and balance, full name, can all clearly be seen by the staff there ?

Edited by tonbridgebrit
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

So, for a SETV, Single Entry Tourist Visa, you've got to provide three things.  Travel booking confirmation (surely, this means flight in and out of Thailand) , and proof of accomadation, and financial evidence (copy of bank statement, or whatever) .

These three things were not needed previously, when applying for the SETV.
And what about backpackers turning up in Thailand, and they want to stay for about 55 days ? A lot of them, want to turn up in Bangkok, head to where the backpacker hostels are, and look for a bed. And if the hostel is full, well, simply walk about thirty metres, and see if there is room at that next hostel. That's what some backpackers want to do. They simply don't want to book and pay for a few days accomadation, print out the paper, and show this paper, as proof of their accomadation.

All this is simply making the whole thing a bit more tricky than previously. And about bank statements. So you're suppose to provide a copy of your bank statement ?  And your address, bank account number, and balance, full name, can all clearly be seen by the staff there ?

Thank you, I thought it was changed from last year.

And that is my issue, I've booked a week at a Guesthouse in Pattaya, then I'm going to Nong Khai and will find a place once there.

Perhaps "Ubonjoe" can offer advice, can I just show the first week accomodation on my visa app?  Or should I just get a "booking.com" reservation online for the whole holiday and then just change it when here?

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Pdavies99

6 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Well, it really is absurd IF they want evidence of accomadation for the whole trip. I can't see how people are actually going to provide this. They're not, surely ??

Well that's what they are suggesting, I applied for a VISA and gave 1st 7 days hotel, but then they responded where am I staying the rest of the time??

Things have certainly got stricter in the UK. Last year postal application to London. Just completed application from, photos and payment.

This week I applied in Hull for a SETV. In addition to the above I provided bank statement, proof of accommodation and flights in to and out of Thailand as per their website.

My flight out is 80 odd days after arriving but this was no issue. My accommodation confirmation was for one month. This was no issue either.

Could I have got away with only free cancellation booking for the first couple of days? No idea. Am I worried about handing over bank details? Time will tell.

I walked out with my visa 20 minutes later. Job done.

13 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

So, for a SETV, Single Entry Tourist Visa, you've got to provide three things.  Travel booking confirmation (surely, this means flight in and out of Thailand) , and proof of accomadation, and financial evidence (copy of bank statement, or whatever)

As regards your last paragragh I initially wasted my time verbally on the phone to them re income. The women was either dense or being deliberately dense am not sure which

I switched to Email to explain my earnings where they came from but in effect I pay no income tax but certainly do pay capital gains and other income

Back comes "you need to show £1500 net coming into your account a month".....Again I explain to the fruitcakes that I dont have a salary nor do I actually draw a salary but take profits as and when from Stocks shares etc......this goes back and forward 4 times. I was just wasting my time.....finally comes back (edited)

"If you cant show £1500 PCM (or more) as incoming monies monthly than we cannot process a SETV for you....thank you for your enquiry"

.....and that was that lol !!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, persimmon said:

Well done on getting your visa . Did you have to book an appointment or just turn up and wait.Also , did you submit any docos in advance to check whether they would be acceptable ?

Thanks

I just turned up. Provided no documents in advance. Arrived at 9am and left with visa before 9.30am. During that time I was the only person, apart from Consulate staff, in the building. Painless.

Should say that they only accept the application form from their website (or available on site) not the one from London.

what is going on with the Thai Immigration Policy at the moment.....nowhere in writing does it state £1500 pcm income required, even when i applied for my last METV this was not a requirement - just a balance of £5k for 6 months - what a complete joke now.

Edited by TroyC

22 minutes ago, TroyC said:

what is going on with the Thai Immigration Policy at the moment.....nowhere in writing does it state £1500 pcm income required, even when i applied for my last METV this was not a requirement - just a balance of £5k for 6 months - what a complete joke now.

Well there you go !

If in fact they had asked for that amount as balance for 6 months then I could have given that in 10 seconds flat. They wanted "income"

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Well there you go !

If in fact they had asked for that amount as balance for 6 months then I could have given that in 10 seconds flat. They wanted "income"

was this London? i think i may go to Hull for my next SETV - looks like you can do walk in appointment and bank statement required but no mention of specific amounts.

https://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

14 minutes ago, TroyC said:

was this London? i think i may go to Hull for my next SETV - looks like you can do walk in appointment and bank statement required but no mention of specific amounts.

https://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

The bank statement (one month) I provided at Hull was my normal current account. It had a balance of a bit over 5k and all my direct debits going out but no income. That comes from elsewhere and is transferred as and when.

7 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Thank you, I thought it was changed from last year.

And that is my issue, I've booked a week at a Guesthouse in Pattaya, then I'm going to Nong Khai and will find a place once there.

Perhaps "Ubonjoe" can offer advice, can I just show the first week accomodation on my visa app?  Or should I just get a "booking.com" reservation online for the whole holiday and then just change it when here?

Thanks

Paul

Sadly, it has changed from last year. The previous paper method was so much easier to organise and was far less aggro to sort out. I've just applied online and got my SETV visa back, so I know there are ways around it and they're not being too strict on all the requirements that are stated online. Myself, I didn't pay for my flights but simply printed off a quote from Thai Airways that had my name on it and flying times. Again, I know the London Thai Embassy is being flexible with this as I just wrote at the bottom of the printout: “To be paid in full once my visa has been approved”. The accommodation can also be gotten around with a 1-night booking on Agoda that gives you the option to cancel free of charge. You just need to print the booking receipt off and supply it. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from cancelling it afterwards and choosing a different place to stay.

I've written my own step-by-step guide to this process on another thread. Give it a read as it'll probably answer most of your questions.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118112-my-guide-to-online-e-visa-applications-via-london-thai-embassy-60-day-setv-by-post/

Edited by Senior Player
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TroyC said:

For the record, I just supplied the embassy with a 3 month bank statement that had a balance of over £10k on it and absolutely no money coming into it. They just want to see that you have sufficient funds while your there and have access to it. They don't need to see an incoming salary. My bank statement was just in the form of a logo lettered head with the withdrawals, etc, below it with my name and address on it. The embassy officials were absolutely fine with it and processed my visa quickly.

UPDATE: I've just noticed that you're discussing the 6-month visa (METV) and not the 2-month one. Sorry. My information is for the 60-day SETV.

Edited by Senior Player
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

For the record, I just supplied the embassy with a 3 month bank statement that had a balance of over £10k on it and absolutely no money coming into it. They just want to see that you have sufficient funds while your there and have access to it. They don't need to see an incoming salary. My bank statement was just in the form of a logo lettered head with the withdrawals, etc, below it with my name and address on it. The embassy officials were absolutely fine with it and processed my visa quickly.

Well I was told last week it is now 6 months bank statements, and that is what it shows now on the application info! I will update soon.

27 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Well I was told last week it is now 6 months bank statements, and that is what it shows now on the application info! I will update soon.

Nope, I supplied a 3-month statement for my 60-day SETV. Maybe if it's different for the METV? As the OP originally asked about the 60-day visa, I'm just providing information that got my own visa approved.

It definitely says: Financial evidence e.g. bank statement in UK current account, showing transactions for the past 3 months with the deposit of at least £500, with your name and address, or printed out with the authorisation by the bank, or proof of earnings, sponsorship letter.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84456-Visa-application-for-countries-listed-below.html

Edited by Senior Player
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Senior Player said:

UPDATE: I've just noticed that you're discussing the 6-month visa (METV) and not the 2-month one. Sorry. My information is for the 60-day SETV.

I thought the discussion was regarding the 60 day SETV - and Chivas comment about being told he had to prove a £1500pcm income was for a SETV.

1 hour ago, TroyC said:

I thought the discussion was regarding the 60 day SETV - and Chivas comment about being told he had to prove a £1500pcm income was for a SETV.

Yes, it was. But when I saw that you were mentioning a METV and a bank statement, I decided to correct my original post in case you or anyone else became confused. As I already pointed out in my own post above, the £1500pcm income isn't necessary for a SETV, nor was I asked to provide evidence of this when I submitted my own application and got my visa.

However, I can see where the confusion might have first occurred, as for the METV it says: Financial evidence e.g. original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank. This is not a requirement for the SETV just the METV. 

Edited by Senior Player

Seems about the same for USA folks from the Los Angeles Thai consulate I post the following for a SETV:  Note the bank statement showing only $700 USD!  I don't see anything about proof of accommodation although there is an entry for that on the VIsa Form but even that just has a line that says "Proposed Address in Thailand".  So except for the Plane ticket I don't see the Los Angeles Thai embassy asking for any proof of accommodation.

Tourist Visa Category “TR” Single

Purpose of Visit: This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes.

Documents Required:

1. Your actual Passport or Travel Document and one copy of your Passport. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).
  2. One original visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
  3. Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted).
    Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses and covering up shoulders. Photos must be taken within 6 months.
  4. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation, showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
  5. A copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly), In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

30 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Seems about the same for USA folks from the Los Angeles Thai consulate I post the following for a SETV:  Note the bank statement showing only $700 USD!  I don't see anything about proof of accommodation although there is an entry for that on the VIsa Form but even that just has a line that says "Proposed Address in Thailand".  So except for the Plane ticket I don't see the Los Angeles Thai embassy asking for any proof of accommodation.

1. One original visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only) (Download)
  2. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation, showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)
  3. A copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly), In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.

I can see by your post that you're still using the old method of downloading an application form in Los Angeles and filling it out by penhow we envy you. That was how it used to be done here in the UK until the London Thai Embassy recently introduced their new online system a month ago, ushering in a different set of requirements that bring their own ramifications and obstacles, one of them being the need to provide proof of accommodation. I explain this all in detail on my own thread titled: My guide to online E-visa applications via London Thai Embassy (60-day SETV by post) and how I managed to get around at lot of these preconditions and still get a visa.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Senior Player said:

I can see by your post that you're still using the old method of downloading an application form in Los Angeles and filling it out by penhow we envy you. That was how it used to be done here in the UK until the London Thai Embassy recently introduced their new online system a month ago, ushering in a different set of requirements that bring their own ramifications and obstacles, one of them being the need to provide proof of accommodation. I explain this all in detail on my own thread titled: My guide to online E-visa applications via London Thai Embassy (60-day SETV by post) and how I managed to get around at lot of these preconditions and still get a visa.

I understand fully.  I would have a heartache with the accommodation thing.   The process improves nothing.  Experienced travelers to a locale are likely to prefer to look around before booking a place, make sure room not near a noisy elevator, not overlooking the noisy street etc.  All issues I have run into in Thailand on several of my trips so I only pay for a room after I see it.  As you wrote there are ways to not commit funds in advance but still satisfy the requirements.

Okay, from all the above posts, things don't seem that bad.

So, for the Single Entry Tourist Visa, SETV, when applying on the website at the London Embassy, the follwing applies.
Flight ticket, no need to actually pay for it, you just need a quote from the airline, on a sheet of paper.
Accomodation, you only need proof for one or a few days hotel stay, at the beginning of your trip.
Bank statement, you need to show three months statement, with over five hundred pounds in the account.

Well, this all sounds much better. One other question will be, can it all be done on the internet, and by posting all the paperwork and passport to London, and hence, no need to physically turn up at the Thai Embassy at London, not even once ?   ????

I will look at the link provided by "Senior Player". Thanks, Senior Player.

Edited by tonbridgebrit

8 hours ago, Senior Player said:

It definitely says: Financial evidence e.g. bank statement in UK current account, showing transactions for the past 3 months with the deposit of at least £500, with your name and address, or printed out with the authorisation by the bank, or proof of earnings, sponsorship letter.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84456-Visa-application-for-countries-listed-below.html

That is the wrong page for UK citizens and others that are not from listed countries. That page is titled "Visa : Visa application for countries listed below"

The correct page is this one that does not mention 3 months.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I understand fully.  I would have a heartache with the accommodation thing.   The process improves nothing.  Experienced travelers to a locale are likely to prefer to look around before booking a place, make sure room not near a noisy elevator, not overlooking the noisy street etc.  All issues I have run into in Thailand on several of my trips so I only pay for a room after I see it.  As you wrote there are ways to not commit funds in advance but still satisfy the requirements.

I don't disagree, especially with regards to checking suitability of your accommodation before booking a long stay. All I can say is enjoy the old system whilst it lasts. ????

8 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Okay, from all the above posts, things don't seem that bad.

So, for the Single Entry Tourist Visa, SETV, when applying on the website at the London Embassy, the follwing applies.
Flight ticket, no need to actually pay for it, you just need a quote from the airline, on a sheet of paper.
Accomodation, you only need proof for one or a few days hotel stay, at the beginning of your trip.
Bank statement, you need to show three months statement, with over five hundred pounds in the account.

Well, this all sounds much better. One other question will be, can it all be done on the internet, and by posting all the paperwork and passport to London, and hence, no need to physically turn up at the Thai Embassy at London, not even once ?   ????

I will look at the link provided by "Senior Player". Thanks, Senior Player.

Yes, all of the above can be done online and via the postal system. The visa turnaround was actually quite fast. I sent my passport by special delivery on Tuesday and got my visa back in the post by Friday!!

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the wrong page for UK citizens and others that are not from listed countries. That page is titled "Visa : Visa application for countries listed below"

The correct page is this one that does not mention 3 months.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

You are quite correct @ubonjoe However, that paragraph on bank statements under the Single Entry (60 days) SETV doesn't mention the how many months they need for the bank statement. I supplied just 3 months of transaction history and there was no problem with me getting the SETV.

17 hours ago, Senior Player said:

You are quite correct @ubonjoe However, that paragraph on bank statements under the Single Entry (60 days) SETV doesn't mention the how many months they need for the bank statement. I supplied just 3 months of transaction history and there was no problem with me getting the SETV.

It does not matter how long it has be in the bank since there is no requirement to have it in the bank any amount of time. It just has to be in the bank on the day you apply for all intents and purposes.