BANGKOK
mikesil

A minor (but annoying) surprise on visa extension day

This may be of interest to those who use the money-in-the-bank method.

I have a so called "fixed" account which sits undisturbed and exists for no purpose other than to be shown to TM (Immigration) annually. Well this year, as we all know, there are a couple of new wrinkles. First, the bank letter must be dated on the same day as the visit to TM. Second, a deposit must be made on that same day, presumably to show the account is still alive (totally redundant with the bank letter, IMHO). So, this morning, on the way to TM, I stopped off at the bank, put 20 baht on the counter, and asked to make said deposit.  Response: "Sorry, we don't accept deposits of less than 2000 baht for fixed accounts".

Not a tragedy, just annoying.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I take out 1,000 Baht on the due date so that the due date is noted in the letter and in the bank book, never had an issue with it. Mine is a savings account, not sure if that makes a difference. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, samtam said:

Which IMM office?

The pertinent question would be "Which bank"..  😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

OP was talking about a 'fixed' deposit account, which if I believe correctly, you cannot ADD to initial amount or withdraw. So how can you do a transaction on the day you go to IO?

Fixed accounts in Thailand are not exactly like Certificates of Deposit in the US.  One of the differences is that you CAN add --- I'm not sure about withdraw (maybe with a penalty).  I knew this beforehand, but felt sandbagged learning about the 2000 baht minimum 30 minutes before my visit to TM.

Yes, I know it's still my money even though I'll never see it again.  Hope my heirs and descendants use it wisely.

8 minutes ago, samtam said:

Which IMM office?

4 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

The pertinent question would be "Which bank"..  😉

Khon Kaen offfice;  Bangkok Bank

53 minutes ago, mikesil said:

Not a tragedy, just annoying.

It´s also nothing new. This has been posted many times before on Thai Visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mikesil said:

Fixed accounts in Thailand are not exactly like Certificates of Deposit in the US.  One of the differences is that you CAN add --- I'm not sure about withdraw (maybe with a penalty).  I knew this beforehand, but felt sandbagged learning about the 2000 baht minimum 30 minutes before my visit to TM.

Yes, I know it's still my money even though I'll never see it again.  Hope my heirs and descendants use it wisely.

Do you mean that you CAN add to a fixed account in Thailand or USA.

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Do you mean that you CAN add to a fixed account in Thailand or USA.

As mentioned previously, you can make a deposit at any time. Various banks may have different minimum deposit for an FD a/c. I think my KK bank is 1000 min. I will chuck that in on day of extension.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As mentioned previously, you can make a deposit at any time. Various banks may have different minimum deposit for an FD a/c. I think my KK bank is 1000 min. I will chuck that in on day of extension.

O r take Bht 1000 out!   LOL