Jump to content
BANGKOK
DaRoadrunner

Compulsory Medical Insurance for Retirement Visa

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Today I happened to meet a girl who works for the Ministry of Health legal division. She said that they are working on a law requiring foreigners on retirement visas to have mandatory health insurance.

 

She said:- “You will not get a visa without health insurance. This will be available from a Govt website.”

 

I asked how much it would cost? From the blank expression, she had not thought of this yet.

 

I mentioned that some foreigners were concerned that this may not be available to those beyond a certain age, or those with pre-existing medical conditions. She had no response and stared at me blankly as obviously they had not thought of this either. (Aren’t Thais great in the planning and logic department).

 

Off she went, unconcerned. The reaction was kind of like ‘don’t confuse me with the facts’.

 

So, it is coming. The only comfort is the fact that insurance will be provided via a Govt website.

 

With this on top of TM30 and 90 day reports, there comes a point where I ask myself, why don’t I go somewhere else?

 

(Don’t ask me for further info’… the above is all I got!)

Edited by DaRoadrunner
.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Devil will be in the detail! 

Any hints on timescale on when this concept shall be published? (Anything to do with that other post, regarding vague rumors from the Swiss Embassy of Visa changes in September mentioned...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ministry of Public Health is certainly one of the more influential ministries and has a track record of influencing legislation. Legislation on smoking (packaging, bans on smoking in many public areas, tax increases), for example, was pushed through despite opposition from other government entities.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it does come in, and like Ubon Joe, I doubt it, I'm sure the visa agents will find a way round it for a few sovs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

If it does come in, and like Ubon Joe, I doubt it, I'm sure the visa agents will find a way round it for a few sovs.

+1 for it not coming in even for

O-A. However if it did don't think agents could help with O-A given they are obtained in own country. Guess unless it was an add on done in los. Anyway don't think it will happen

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A retirement extension can be obtained from how many different types of visa? 

I thought all the discussion was we don.t have a visa but we have a retirement extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I thought that the 100 baht increase/adder to the 700 baht PSC (Sayaonara tax), which will  yield 3.8 billion baht will more than cover the ~ 200 million baht in unrecovered medical expenses incurred by foreigners, with considerable leftover for slushiness?

 

 

 

 

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, bigginhill said:

A retirement extension can be obtained from how many different types of visa? 

I thought all the discussion was we don.t have a visa but we have a retirement extension.

In Thai imm website they refer to a non O-A with (retirement visa).

Looks like this non immigrant non O-A ( retirement visa). The OP stated "retirement visa"

Very confusing because if you ask fella in bar how they are living in los...you might often hear "retirement visa". They actually most likely have and extension based on retirement. Others have extension based on marriage or parent of Thai etc.

Yes pedantic but can be confusing. Think they refer to O-X as " long stay".

In any event the whole insurance thing possibility has been about O-A

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

In Thai imm website they refer to a non O-A with (retirement visa).

Looks like this non immigrant non O-A ( retirement visa). The OP stated "retirement visa"

Very confusing because if you ask fella in bar how they are living in los...you might often hear "retirement visa". They actually most likely have and extension based on retirement. Others have extension based on marriage or parent of Thai etc.

Yes pedantic but can be confusing. Think they refer to O-X as " long stay".

In any event the whole insurance thing possibility has been about O-A

The girl's exact words were "retirement visa." However, in this country anything is possible. I will be surprised if it does not happen as the Ministry of Health is fed up with Farang doing a runner on hospital bills.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The girl's exact words were "retirement visa." However, in this country anything is possible. I will be surprised if it does not happen as the Ministry of Health is fed up with Farang doing a runner on hospital bills.

IMHO that is seriously incorrect. When my Thai gf had cancer I could not even get her out of hospital until I paid. I was happy to do so. Same when I personally had pulmonary embolism. Lot of stuff gets thrown out there on tvf. I think its all about more money to be squeezed out of farang. Anyway time will tell.

BTW as I stated retirement visa is NOT extensions based on retirement. One is a visa the other is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...