Compulsory Medical Insurance for Retirement Visa

Other potential changes...

Some businesses are geatting a heads-up from Immigration that there will be additional scrutiny on frequent business arrivals, that is regional and HO types flying in often for internal, training and external (customer) meetings. No detail/criteria offered yet, but some encouragement to get "proper business" visas for these folks. No mention of medical insurance, even though this company has more than fifty foreigners currently in-country on proper visas and WPs, during this informal conversation.

We shall not forget that many countries in the EU since many years demands a travel insurance/accident insurance for invited Thai people covering a certain amount of money for the period they're staying. Without the insurance, no Visa. So why are farangs without any type of insurance complaining??

4 hours ago, a977 said:

They may be influential in getting laws passed but that is where the buck stops. You can implement all the laws you want, Ah but enforcing them that is another thing

I am confident that if a law was passed requiring health insurance for the "retirement extension", that, one way or another, it would have an effect, almost certainly adding extra cost, extra paperwork and possibly extra inconvenience on extension holders.

Edited by Briggsy

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I am confident that if a law was passed requiring health insurance for the "retirement extension", that, one way or another, it would have an effect, almost certainly adding extra cost, extra paperwork and possibly extra inconvenience on extension holders.

It's still only for Long Stay O-A Visa,

not for Non-imm O, with retirement extension. You can find the article in The Nation if you google it.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is just the ministry of health wanting it. It has to be approved by other ministries before it goes info effect.

There has been nothing new mentioned since April/May about it.

I personally think it is not going to happen.

+1

Might as well have spoken to some bloke in a bar....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

It's still only for Long Stay O-A Visa,

not for Non-imm O, with retirement extension. You can find the article in The Nation if you google it.

Yes, I am aware of that.

The OP, @DaRoadrunner  used the vague terminology, "retirement visa", so we can only assume he is referring to future changes to the "retirement extension". That is why I placed my sentence in a conditional tense.

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Yes, I am aware of that.

The OP, @DaRoadrunner  used the vague terminology, "retirement visa", so we can only assume he is referring to future changes to the "retirement extension". That is why I placed my sentence in a conditional tense.

I think he referred to the Thai person who said "retirement visa".

They don't have a clue there are more than one type of retirement visa.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 6:54 PM, bigginhill said:

A retirement extension can be obtained from how many different types of visa? 

I thought all the discussion was we don.t have a visa but we have a retirement extension.

Curious about that.  I'm looking into going this route (recently in the 50's).  Type 'O" is the option within Thailand correct? 

Any other methods (post seems to allude to)? 

800,00 in the bank or 65,000 per month into.

Thanks

On 8/16/2019 at 11:42 AM, Max69xl said:

I think he referred to the Thai person who said "retirement visa".

They don't have a clue there are more than one type of retirement visa.

Please clarify the " more than one type of retirement visa" comment. The non O-A is bit confusing on Thai embassy web because in brackets after non O-A it has in brackets (retirement visa). The O-X think have long stay comment.

Many guys you ask in bars refer to their "retirement visa". Those guys are on extensions of stay based on retirement. What is a "retirement visa" since you say there is more than one.

34 minutes ago, michael888 said:

Curious about that.  I'm looking into going this route (recently in the 50's).  Type 'O" is the option within Thailand correct? 

Thanks

You can do a "conversion" from tourist visa or visa exempt to a non o based on retirement at immigration within Thailand. The other route is to obtain non o outside of Thailand at Thai consulate. The requirements are different.

26 minutes ago, michael888 said:

Thanks

2 options to get a 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement.

1)

Apply in home country and then after 60 days extend it 1 year at the local Immigration office. Cost 1900 baht. You need  800k in a Thai bank 2 months before applying or 65k monthly from pension. This is the easiest option.

2)

Apply for a 60 days TR (tourist visa) in home country, after 30 days convert the visa to a 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement at the local Immigration. Cost 2000 baht. After 60 days extend it 1 year. Cost 1900 baht. This option is doable, but a lot of paperwork and a bit more expensive. Same requirements as above.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Please clarify the " more than one type of retirement visa" comment. The non O-A is bit confusing on Thai embassy web because in brackets after non O-A it has in brackets (retirement visa). The O-X think have long stay comment.

Many guys you ask in bars refer to their "retirement visa". Those guys are on extensions of stay based on retirement. What is a "retirement visa" since you say there is more than one.

Non-immigrant O based on retirement, O-A and O-X. That's three. Many Thai don't have a clue about this and the woman OP mentioned didn't understand that the insurance are only for O-A. Maybe you can't read or don't understand what the OP was about. 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Non-immigrant O based on retirement, O-A and O-X. That's three. Many Thai don't have a clue about this and the woman OP mentioned didn't understand that the insurance are only for O-A. Maybe you can't read or don't understand what the OP was about. 

Your very funny but I won't engage. There is no such thing as a "retirement visa"

Enjoy dreamworld. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

2 options to get a 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement.

1)

Apply in home country and then after 60 days extend it 1 year at the local Immigration office. Cost 1900 baht. You need  800k in a Thai bank 2 months before applying or 65k monthly from pension. This is the easiest option.

2)

Apply for a 60 days TR (tourist visa) in home country, after 30 days convert the visa to a 90 days Non-immigrant O based on retirement at the local Immigration. Cost 2000 baht. After 60 days extend it 1 year. Cost 1900 baht. This option is doable, but a lot of paperwork and a bit more expensive. Same requirements as above.

Some countries now do not offer non o in home country. Only O-A. Australia is one example. 

Apart from "conversion" from tourist visa to non o at immigration within Thailand you can also do same with visa exempt. 

One difference worth a mention is obtaining the non o within Thailand you need demonstrate funds came from outside of Los. Non o obtained outside of Thailand does not have that requirement. Significant for some folk.