BANGKOK
CLW

Pesticides in fruit and vegetables - an insider report

Seems  that the regulators will only act when this hits the pocket nerve .Forward and pass it on .Ps hope its fake news .

• Like 2

Not suprising.

Thanks!

Look forward to hearing more.

• Like 2

"That makes (converted to the whole population) let's say 80% of the fruits and vegetables in this country who are sold in wholesale and local markets untested." 

Let's take the markets. A lot of vegetables and fruits come from small lokal farmers. Impossible to check them all and punish them. The government can block dangerous chemicals from being imported or produced. But the remaining chemicals need to be used as designed. And in this respect it is hard to control what is going on. For sure it is easier to check big imports or big companies producing vegetables and fruits. But the small farmers... 

• Like 2

Y'all making some heavy accusations there. You sure? Sounds like criminal activity...have you reported it?

And a warning not to drink citrus juice? You tested the products, yes? You do know that the chemical you mention is allowed in the US and is non carginogenic? You do know you can wash it off the skin of oranges....but nevertheless, you are warning folks not to eat oranges?

So far just accusations or implications, yes.
Why should I report it? Here in Thailand?
And then be sued for defamation or something worse?
Up to everyone what he drinks or eats.
I won't and have also in the past avoided citrus products and juices, not only from Thailand.
  • Like 1

I know members of a provincial MoPH food safety mobile laboratory. They're out most days taking random samples of fresh food sold in markets around the province. They also operate in the evenings and sometimes on weekends.

Samples collected are either tested on the spot in their van or sent for further testing.

Common pesticide detection is usually in salad vegetables handed out with food at street/night markets. Sometimes formaldehyde can be found in fresh seafood. A recent sample of vegetables sold as organic from a small scale farang producer tested positive for pesticide.

Penalties can include a warning with a random follow up check later or fines if the offense warrants it.

Thank you. This is good information.
  • Thanks 1

"That makes (converted to the whole population) let's say 80% of the fruits and vegetables in this country who are sold in wholesale and local markets untested." 

Let's take the markets. A lot of vegetables and fruits come from small lokal farmers. Impossible to check them all and punish them. The government can block dangerous chemicals from being imported or produced. But the remaining chemicals need to be used as designed. And in this respect it is hard to control what is going on. For sure it is easier to check big imports or big companies producing vegetables and fruits. But the small farmers... 

So far I agree.

BUT "the remaining chemicals need to be used as designed."

Unless they are very expensive I'll guess that most farmers act with the attitude a lot helps a lot. Correct dosage, withholding period and pre harvest interval are mostly unknown to them.
I can't confirm but so far I also haven't seen any information on the Thai pesticide labels about that. Anyone can read or translate some label?
  • Like 2