Safety Huay Yai Area?

moonseeker

How safe is this area. Plan to live in a single, alone-standing home on big lot, bit away from main areas? 

Burglaries? Assaults? Had a friend years back, who moved away with his family, due to safety concerns.

Good place to live a way from town these days or better leave it?

Thank you for any feedback.  MS>

• Like 2

Previously lived there, unfortunately most of the locals seem to think they are some kind of mafioso and many are carrying guns, police are corrupt as hell, drugs is a big issue in the area, burglaries are common - a lot of cable thefts. 

Glad i moved!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 6:33 PM, soisanuk said:

IMO CCTV does not provide that much security.  If no one is home, the burglar can be viewed, but it doesn't prevent the burglar from making off with your valuables (also, if they hide their faces, they most likely will not be caught).  I would suggest that in lieu of or in addition to CCTV, an alarm system be installed. The dogs may be a good idea, but an acquaintance of mine who used to run a Security Service company in Thailand installing both CCTV and burglar alarm systems said "you can't trust anything with a stomach."   I don't have CCTV, but I do have an alarm system. In my former residence, it was hard wired.  In my  current residence, I have a wireless system.  If you are in a gated community with Security or have close neighbors, the noise of the alarm most likely will result in the burglar quickly running off without the opportunity to take anything.  When home, I set the system so only the door/window units are activated.  When we are away from home, I set the system to activate the door/window units as well as two interior motion/heat sensors (often burglars gain entrance through the roof, thus the need for the motion/heat sensors).  The motion/heat sensors are the type that will not be set off by pets inside the house.  

It is possible to train your dogs to only accept food from you.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, moonseeker said:

How safe is this area.

I live in a Jomtien condo by the sea. One of my main reasons for doing this is because I can lock my front door, turn off my water and go away for a day or a week or a month or a year without having to give a second thought to anything at all.

If have a friend who has a nice house in a gated village on the darkside, and he also goes away for 6 months without any problems.

But I dont think there is any stand-alone house in Thailand that I would be happy to leave empty for more than a hour or two, and even for just an hour I would not be relaxed about it. I like living alone and have no desire at all to have dogs or wives or servants or anyone else around me, so Thai houses outside of a gated village are pretty much out of the question for me.

• Like 1

I can confirm there's a lot of drug use around there. The GF's a volunteer cop assistant with Na Jomtein station and her main role is testing women stopped at police check points at night for drink and drugs, usually in the Huay Yai area. They get a lot of positives, apparently.

Mind you, it may be that a similar check point in Pattaya would pick up twice as many positives, I can't say.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/21/2019 at 11:46 AM, Guderian said:

I can confirm there's a lot of drug use around there. The GF's a volunteer cop assistant with Na Jomtein station and her main role is testing women stopped at police check points at night for drink and drugs, usually in the Huay Yai area. They get a lot of positives, apparently.

Mind you, it may be that a similar check point in Pattaya would pick up twice as many positives, I can't say.

Where do they check at Huay Yai ?

and they clearly do it at Pattaya also.

Did you girlfriend tell you how much the culprits have to pay to keep going after being arrested ? ????